What would you do?

Titan

A minor irritation in the overall scheme of things but exasperating none the less.

On 15th March I used "buy it now" to purchase a transfer sheet. Paid by Paypal straight away as you do.

Time passed, no transfer sheet or message from seller.

So on the 4th of April after nothing happening I sent a message enquiring as to the whereabouts of said item.

Reply the same day, very sorry, had been taken ill, bit of a backlog, your order will be sent out in the next two days.

Time passed.

So on the 10th of April I opened an item not received case. Perhaps I could have waited longer, but in the event it did not make a difference. I selected the option I would still like to receive the item.

Response on the 10th of April was that it was posted yesterday.

An additional message received on 12th April saying it would be with me very soon.

Time passed.

By the 30th of April I thought that if it was going to come it would have got here by now. So I decided the time had come to ask for a refund, which Ebay did the same day.

2nd of May, Item arrives with a 1st of May postmark...

Now as far as I am concerned the seller posted it after I got my refund, and was not particularly honest about posting and anticipated delivery. Had he been I would have waited longer. Do you think I have any obligation to send it back or pay for it, especially as it was just a few quid?

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Premium

I would offer to pay for it. If he says yes then pay. If he says no or doesn't reply then don't pay.

+1. Make the offer, if he replies then pay, if not then just keep it and don't worry about it. For all he is the one at fault it's better to play things straight. Alternatively offer to return them if he pays the postage.

You should always be honest. It's not your property and should be treated like any other unsolicited goods.

If you still want it, offer to pay for it. If you don't, ask the seller to send the return postage cost.

• RMweb Premium

+1. Make the offer, if he replies then pay, if not then just keep it and don't worry about it. For all he is the one at fault it's better to play things straight. Alternatively offer to return them if he pays the postage.

Agreed, on the basis is that almost certainly the seller was in fact unwell - suggested by the fact the item was eventually sent, so no intent of fraud. Sometimes, things such as eBay transactions, are not important.

Edit fixed it to seller, not buyer!

Edited by kevinlms