East Kent Models

mike tugsandsheds

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good News, I mentioned to a friend that I had heard that EKM were closing and he emailed them to find out if there had been any new developments, he received this reply:

The shop will be closing on Saturday, 27th October but our spares & repairs service will be continuing at a new location from 13th November.

New address is Unit 50 Joseph Wilson Industrial Estate, Millstrood Road, Whitstable CT5 3PS.

E-mail and telephone contact details will be unaltered but our fax will be disabled.

New business hours will be Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 1000-1600hrs, Friday 1000-1300hrs.

I'm very relieved to hear this as I have always found them very helpful and efficient.

Regards

Veronica.

Thanks for this Veronica, I'll be on the phone to them at 10:01 tomorrow ;)

• RMweb Gold

Well, it gets better, despite all the upheaval of moving, closing down the shop sorting out phones etc etc EKM still got my parts to me next day, parcel was waiting for me when I got home yesterday. Fantastic service.

Note they have a new parts list available dated November 2012, also there is a separate "one offs/very low stock list" - will be the last chance to get some hard to get parts .....

I've had a similar experience to Redgate. Phoned my order through late on Weds pm and it was delivered today (Friday) which is a great turnaround. My previous order (prior the move of premises) was equally as impressive.

I've always browsed the catalogue against the Hornby Service Sheets so I ensure I order the correct parts, but they are very knowledgeable of the stock they hold so that any queries are easily dealt with and I'm confident of obtaining the exact parts I'm looking for. No connection, just a very satisfied customer.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing but praise for EKM. Placed an order on the penultimate day of the shop. Order dispatched and delivered the next day. One element of it was missing however. Quick phonecall and a message left. It took a few weeks (understandable due to the move), but out of the blue missing parts arrived, with an apology not only for the mistake, but also the (very understandable) delay. Excellent service despite non-typical conditions. As always, highly recommended

• RMweb Premium

I've just stumbled across this thread and was 'reeling' until I read daftbovine's post #25. I'd just obtained my latest order from them in September and was unaware of these developments. Sad that the shop has had to be closed, but really relieved to learn that the spares business is to continue and the new address has been duly noted. As has been stated, no one can begrudge the proprietors their retirement and i hope it will be long and happy

I have a friend who I had just recomended EKM to and will have to advise him pronto.

Regards,

John

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got a very quick response from EKM following my email yesterday. They can be emailed at ekmodels@hotmail.com.

They have three lists of spares: Hornby spares for UK made models, Hornby spares for China made models and everything else.

As they are closing down, the prices seem very keen (to my untrained eye).

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Spoke to the proprietor today and he confirmed that he will close in the spring, not sure when as he hopes to run down stock levels as much as possible before calling it a day.

It will be a very sad day when they close, leaving Kent almost devoid of model railway shops, only Invicta Models, Woodchurch Model Shop and Kent Garden Railways remaining - as far as I am aware?

Stephen :-(

Spoke to the proprietor today and he confirmed that he will close in the spring, not sure when as he hopes to run down stock levels as much as possible before calling it a day.

It will be a very sad day when they close, leaving Kent almost devoid of model railway shops, only Invicta Models, Woodchurch Model Shop and Kent Garden Railways remaining - as far as I am aware?

Stephen :-(

And Faversham Models..

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, totally forgot about Faversham.  Ashford Models is quite good but not dedicated to model railways, stocking a lot of RC stuff.

I know Harry and Veronica at Woodchurch are at that age when retirement beckons.  I think they plan to keep going until AIMREC opens and "seed" the expo centre shop with their stock; they could be trading for a while yet!

Stephen

Archived