The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, SHMD said:

What's the advantage of having a co-pilot?

A few reasons - an extra pip to go wherever you want, always helpful. In combat they can take control of turrets and various other systems (which, because of the amount going on could be helpful). They can fly a fighter if you've got one, although you can get NPCs to do that (who never appear in the cockpit). There are apparently mining and exploration roles for them but I can't think what advantage they'd be there. Also useful for experienced players to help out beginners.

But I just wanted my ships to not seem so empty when they've got more than one seat. They should've stuck NPC crew in them years ago.

Edited by Reorte
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, 30801 said:

On the subject of HDMI switches this one works fine 4K HDR @ 60Hz

Powered by one of the TV's USB ports.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086618YJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the purpose of education for the rest of us, did you ascertain why your previous switch didn't work as expected?

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

For the purpose of education for the rest of us, did you ascertain why your previous switch didn't work as expected?

No idea. I’ll speculate that this one being USB powered is a good thing. At some point I’ll try using the other one on my 1080p monitor and see if it works there.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, 30801 said:

On that subject I got Yakuza Like A Dragon on the Xbox S and am currently suffering from only being able to read the heading on the loading screen tips before it's loaded.

(From the Apple OS thread wrt the use of SSDs)

image.png.8baad29c3fb4dc733f20e07cb72ab7f7.pngBeing somewhat old skool, I was at something of a loss when (physical) games stopped including a controls crib sheet in the box.

I've so many part started titles where I've done the tutorial level and then discontinued further chiefly because the controls haven't been committed to muscle memory. 

Loading screen tips have often been useful in not wandering around tooled-up, reminding me a tap on the d-pad will holster a weapon!

These days, I'll spend a chunk of time in a harmless part of a game flitting between the Controller Config part of the menu and looking like a div on screen crouching/running/shooting as I suss out what does what.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

image.png.8baad29c3fb4dc733f20e07cb72ab7f7.pngBeing somewhat old skool, I was at something of a loss when (physical) games stopped including a controls crib sheet in the box.

Like when PC games came in a pizza sized box with a big manual.

It seem unthinkable now that you'd have to read stuff before you could actually start the game.

Not sure what thing from what game I was trying to do but I was forever whipping my gun out in Watchdogs Legion for no good reason and spoiling my discreet sneaking.

59 minutes ago, 30801 said:

It seem unthinkable now that you'd have to read stuff before you could actually start the game.

I thought the point of the paperwork was to provide entertainment while the game took several hours (and discs) to install!

Jo

5 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I thought the point of the paperwork was to provide entertainment while the game took several hours (and discs) to install!

Jo

In Amigaland, the manuals often contained the password protection necessary to actually start the game, it being recommended housekeeping to make copies of the master diskettes to play from.

All sorts of tricks were used to make piracy of the passwords difficult, duplication of the data being actively encouraged. The norm then, It seems totally absurd these days.

C6T. 

7 hours ago, 30801 said:

Not sure what thing from what game I was trying to do but I was forever whipping my gun out in Watchdogs Legion for no good reason and spoiling my discreet sneaking.

Glad you mentioned WD:Legion, I'm reminded the multiplayer was promised at the start of December.

After finishing the single player part of Legion it encouraged me to boot-up Watch Dogs 2 which I bought on release in 2016 but quickly sidelined, finding it to be difficult to get in to and cumbersome to control. What a great tear-up!

I dislike the fact that Marcus is essentially on a murderous rampage, with clothes shopping, but as a moral compass disabled action shooter, good fun. I ended up Platinum-ing it and intend to dip into the online element occasionally as long as Ubisoft keeps the servers running.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Compared to today's multi gigabyte downloads and patches loading a game from tape on a Commodore 64 doesn't seem so bad. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Ater finishing the single player part of Legion it encourages me to boot-up Watch Dogs 2 which I bought on release in 2016 but quickly sidelined, finding it to be difficult to get in to and cumbersome to control. What a great tear-up!

I bought WD2 and didn't like it. Mainly because I must be too old and grumpy to like the edgy young hacker characters in it. I just want to keep shouting 'Get a job!' at them. It's the same reason I can't watch The Breakfast Club any more. 

Hooray for Yakuza Like a Dragon and its middle aged protagonist. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 30801 said:

I bought WD2 and didn't like it. Mainly because I must be too old and grumpy to like the edgy young hacker characters in it. I just want to keep shouting 'Get a job!' at them.

I get that. There's an awful lot of it that doesn't make a great deal of sense either. The plot is bitty and fractured unless you stick to one mission at a time.

But the biggest sticking point is, DedSec is a terrorist organisation, and no amount of faux freedom fighter flannel can justify the means. I tried to do as much as I could non lethally, but it was a false hope. Legion is slightly different as there is no ambiguity about how awful the bad guys are and I had no moral dilemma in dispatching them. 

It has made me more appreciative of the last two Deus Ex games (I do a lot of that!) but yeah, not as blatantly shooting sh!t up like GTA, but it's not going to be for everyone.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I tried to do as much as I could non lethally,

WD Legion doesn't have much penalty for killing people so I stopped bothering, driving between missions like Mad Max because it was quicker than fast travel with loading times.

Best bit was completing a recruitment mission by accident by accidentally running over a random person.

• Funny 1

Did you find the "recruit anyone" usp quickly became a meh part of play? (Made worse by only having maybe ten different voices regardless of how many people are on board...tsk.)

I soon came to rely on a core team of operators, mostly reliant on their skill sets, apart from the first guy I had who I felt a conscious loyalty to and would favour for story progressive missions.

My A-team bods were usually;

A transient black Irish fella, handy with a suppressed MP5 and stealthy of foot. 

The skilled hacker with amusing "who, me?" animation when picked. 

One of two female spies.

and if uniform dependant;

Female doctor or the ambulance driver. 

Sharp dressed Kelley enforcer. 

Everso slightly camp Albion chap. 

Cockney Bobby. 

Petite lady construction worker. 

And if any of them ended up incapacitated or the mission looked particularly hairy, my go to hitman!

C6T. 

• RMweb Premium

Finally played Jedi Fallen Order. Nice to have a good single player Star Wars game. I'll give it a solid 7 or 8 out of 10, mostly because I've always had a nagging issue with platformers and their implausible layouts (silly i know, but there it is).

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Finally played Jedi Fallen Order. Nice to have a good single player Star Wars game. I'll give it a solid 7 or 8 out of 10, mostly because I've always had a nagging issue with platformers and their implausible layouts (silly i know, but there it is).

The slippy slidey bits are generally rightly called out as being rather ridiculous. I quite liked making parts of the worlds inaccessible until new force powers were learnt.

But yeah, it ticked a lot of boxes for me too.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 30801 said:

I downloaded it with a load of other Game Pass stuff. Is it worth bothering with yet?

It seems generally stable enough, took a while to get my head round the game again, it's been a long time since I last played Fallout 4. Plenty of missions to do and more being added (a Brotherhood of Steel story line was added recently). It was 60% off about a month ago on Steam so worth putting in your wishlist for anyone who has already got it.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Google are giving away the Stadia Pro hardware free with Cyberpunk 2077. Might be worth picking up if you have a base PS4 or XBox One where the game runs poorly so far.

Stadia doesn't quite run smoothly for me so try before you buy. You can run the free trial in a browser.

https://stadia.google.com/store/details/49697e672bc34e7d8a5f73f78cb580d0rcp1/sku/cb3e8ed4bf954c9984fda697f2e8c06dp

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, 30801 said:

Google are giving away the Stadia Pro hardware free with Cyberpunk 2077. Might be worth picking up if you have a base PS4 or XBox One where the game runs poorly so far.

Stadia doesn't quite run smoothly for me so try before you buy. You can run the free trial in a browser.

https://stadia.google.com/store/details/49697e672bc34e7d8a5f73f78cb580d0rcp1/sku/cb3e8ed4bf954c9984fda697f2e8c06dp

More on Cyberpunk's woes here

As I've said before, I was late to the Witcher 3 party, but I'm led to believe that that title too was a buggy mess upon initial release. Personally I think I'll wait until PS5s are freely available for purchase before getting the game. Hopefully by then CDPR will have patched it up.

C6T. 

I'll admit, I'm more than a little concerned about the outcome of any new Mass Effect title, given Casey Hudson's recent departure from BioWare (not to mention any of the other ME leads), but damn you EA, please don't f*** this one up! 

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/12/2020 at 06:17, Classsix T said:

I'll admit, I'm more than a little concerned about the outcome of any new Mass Effect title, given Casey Hudson's recent departure from BioWare (not to mention any of the other ME leads), but damn you EA, please don't f*** this one up!

Is that Liara?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I jumped the wrong way on Cyberpunk. Bought it for the PS4 Pro rather than the Xbox Series S as I thought that would be running the stock Xbox One code and be awful. Turns out the Xbox version already takes good advantage of the S and runs the X quality mode at a lower resolution but at a solid 30fps. The PS4 Pro stutters on the opening movie.

Anyway CEX trade in for ps version is £36 and CDKeys sell the Xbox version for £40 so I’m doing that.

The Stadia version is supposed to be good with a solid 60fps.

• Friendly/supportive 1