Model Rail Announcement

Chris Gad

I was hoping for the 15XX personally. There was the mention that it was "out and about today" and assumed that it was 1501 as it was running on the SVR that day with the teak set.

Instead we got the 16XX which was apparently running on the KESR. I'll still have one or two though. They were quite common in North Wales.

Don't know about an E1 though. There's very little need for a SR shunter at present.

Jason

• Like 2

Quite happy with that as I would like one at the other end of its life.

Ahh. so you will want one to haul coal up and down Staffordshire hills then Andy !!!

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1

What hatred towards pregrouping modellers?

My problem is every single thread there is the same voices complaining about "why haven't they done one in my favourite livery". If you were all actually modellers then you could easily repaint it yourself. If they didn't make a RTR model there is always the multitude of kits available.

"I want a GER J70!". Get a bit of paint and some transfers and do some actual modelling. You are after all modellers, I believe.

Besides I've just started building a Flower. Is that pre grouping enough?

Jason

I therefore apologize for any offence caused.

As for being actual modellers, BR ones expect it on a plate, so why shouldn't we at least ask?! It's much easier to repaint a fully lined loco into BR Black, never mind cheaper (I don't have money for transfers on top of a loco purchase!), yet that's covered. 

Personally, I have no interest in a J70, an E1 in full Stroudley IEG is another matter, besides that fact that livery is particularly awkward to pull off.

You may think there's enough Southern Shunters, and an SECR P can fulfill the role of a shunter, but point me to a decent 0-6-0 goods tank engine, of the sort used on branch goods trains. Besides, 'Southern' covers three companies as far as I'm concerned, and a P is no good for an LBSCR modeller, or even an SR (Central Division) or BR(S) (Central Division) modeler. I'm sure you're able to appreciate that not everyone thinks in Post-Grouping ways, and that a class of 8 locos that barely went East of Redhill (if they made it that far!)  is rather different to a class of 80 locos that found themselves spread out across the LBSCR system with four on the Isle of Wight!

If you have more than 8 P's, a not unreasonable amount of small 0-6-0T's for a medium-large layout then you have more than the SECR had! I doubt many people will need 80 E1's though.

Besides which, if you were to buy an E1 or another loco that can be put in a pre grouping livery in BR Black, then repaint it into the pre-grouping livery I might be more inclined to listen to you. As it is your post struck me as slightly comical! BR Modelers wouldn't like having to repaint their models, so why should we?

On a different note, a Flower is a very nice thing - I look forward to seeing a photo of the model! Nice lining too, so I'll be no doubt impressed!

Don't know about an E1 though. There's very little need for a SR shunter at present.

Jason

Perhaps not for an SR shunter, but as a branch goods engine (for which they were originally built) these will come in very useful for LBSC and ex-LBSC branch line layouts. Add to that the ones on the Isle of Wight... Personally, I'm just happy to have an LBSCR tank engine that isn't a Terrier (compared to, say, the O2, M7, Beattie Well Tank, Adams Radial, B4 for the LSWR)! Multiple LBSC liveries is just the icing on the cake!

My problem is every single thread there is the same voices complaining about "why haven't they done one in my favourite livery". If you were all actually modellers then you could easily repaint it yourself. If they didn't make a RTR model there is always the multitude of kits available.

You have misrepresented just about every post I have read (or, indeed, written) on the subject, and there, I would say, is the problem.

There is, it seems, a growing band of modellers who favour earlier periods, like it or not (and why would you dislike someone for their preferences?). and who simply say "please consider us as well as the late-Groupers and BR modellers when you go to the trouble of producing your next model". 

The trend appears to be in their favour, if  the announcements and releases of recent months is anything to go by, so, increasingly, the people you complain about have been able to say "well done and thank you".

Given that the BR modeller is not neglected as a result - s/he still gets his/her variants - I cannot see any cause for posting grumpy comments about it or for picking unnecessary fights. The only time it looked the BR modeller might have been at a disadvantage was when Oxford announced the N7 without the round-top firebox (!).  Representations or, complaints to use your vocabulary, were raised.  Oxford listened and it all went well in the end with the desired variant announced.  The difference is, these BR modellers were not, as I recall, criticised for wanting it all their own way, not being proper modellers etc, and told to get out their razor saws and just deal with it. 

Can we not just let the other fella enjoy the things he loves and let him be pleased when a release caters for his tastes? 

I think we have two strong announcements here.

One looks like a must for the WR modeller, the other is a prototype that spans the eras and is equally good news for Southern and BR modellers.

Both fit in nicely with other products available.  

Both deserve to do well and I'm sure they will.

I expect that, regardless of the era modelled, potential customers should be permitted to express their satisfaction and will do so.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

As I said before, Jason made the error of referring to it as a 'Southern Shunter'...

Well, it's a South Eastern & Chatham shunter that will have no use on my LBSCR Layouts! I did buy one for a different layout though. Besides the point really as Linny said, an E1 isn't really a shunter!

Think in pre-grouping companies... it's easier as the same regional boundaries, particularly here in the South, remain in force to this day. Someone would laugh at a South Eastern class 375 being run out to Exeter on an SWR layout, so why should it be any different someone running an SECR P out to Exeter on LSWR Metals? A Southern 377 isn't found in Dover, so why would an E1 be found there? The boundaries have changed little since the three main Southern constituents came into existence in 1899 with the formation of the SECR Joint Management Committee!

Well the 16XX get my vote ...good  for Forest of Dean Model fans like me, and a good small layout engine generally.

You can also squeeze one in on a far North layout - 2 were based at Helmsdale, one of which I saw on  Inverness back in 1961.

Wonder if Model Rail will do the Scottish numbers (1646/9)? Good news!

• Like 1

Well the 16XX get my vote ...good  for Forest of Dean Model fans like me, and a good small layout engine generally.

You can also squeeze one in on a far North layout - 2 were based at Helmsdale, one of which I saw on  Inverness back in 1961.

Wonder if Model Rail will do the Scottish numbers (1646/9)? Good news!

1646 in early crest (ref: MR-303) (CJL)

As I said before, Jason made the error of referring to it as a 'Southern Shunter'...

Well, it's a South Eastern & Chatham shunter that will have no use on my LBSCR Layouts! I did buy one for a different layout though. Besides the point really as Linny said, an E1 isn't really a shunter!

Think in pre-grouping companies... it's easier as the same regional boundaries, particularly here in the South, remain in force to this day. Someone would laugh at a South Eastern class 375 being run out to Exeter on an SWR layout, so why should it be any different someone running an SECR P out to Exeter on LSWR Metals? A Southern 377 isn't found in Dover, so why would an E1 be found there? The boundaries have changed little since the three main Southern constituents came into existence in 1899 with the formation of the SECR Joint Management Committee!

They were shunters for the vast majority of their lives. They were relegated from front line duties pretty early, apart from on the Isle Of Wight as they were underpowered for modern trains (modern as in post 1910s).

The rest ended up as E1/R bankers or scrapped/sold.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/e1_class.html

Jason

• Like 1

Fair enough, but the point still stands that an SECR P or even an LBSCR A1 (Or A1x if you're in the future...) can rarely fill in for an E1...

Edited by sem34090

I have seen photos of E4s, I3s and even H2 Alantics on former SECR rails in Kent, though somewhat briefly in SR days.

LSWR B4s did get to work in Kent. Terriers and a Radial made it onto light railways. But I agree, former pre-grouping engines generally remained on the ex pre-grouping railways they were mean't to serve.

• RMweb Premium

Ooooh a LBSC E1?  I'll take one of those please.

As for the other announcement, I have to say that all GWR Pannier tanks look the same to me.

(Cue the QI claxon...)

• RMweb Gold

Well it appears my clues were correct for one of these locos, as below

I could give a clue in numbers of course, but that would be rather square as I've done that sort of thing in the past.  So I shall just stick with the possibility that it might be A XXXX but on the other hand it might not be and could be something else entirely but I might still buy one in just the same sort of way that I have another Model Rail loco on order.

So 'rather square' = a number squared (4x4 =16). 'might be A' = WR Power class A for a 16XX, and of course 'XXXX' could relate to a (G)WR number series.  For those who missed it the clue in another thread on RMweb was in respect of Jason Shron's recent UK visit which included a trip to the K&ESTR for, I paraphrase  'reasons which could not be talked about' ;  the only example of that Railway's loco fleet which is not available or already announced in r-t-r form is the16XX tank.   Mind you they also havea late body GW railcar undergoing major restoration work  :sungum: 

• Like 3

Well it appears my clues were correct for one of these locos, as below

I could give a clue in numbers of course, but that would be rather square as I've done that sort of thing in the past.  So I shall just stick with the possibility that it might be A XXXX but on the other hand it might not be and could be something else entirely but I might still buy one in just the same sort of way that I have another Model Rail loco on order.

So 'rather square' = a number squared (4x4 =16). 'might be A' = WR Power class A for a 16XX, and of course 'XXXX' could relate to a (G)WR number series.  For those who missed it the clue in another thread on RMweb was in respect of Jason Shron's recent UK visit which included a trip to the K&ESTR for, I paraphrase  'reasons which could not be talked about' ;  the only example of that Railway's loco fleet which is not available or already announced in r-t-r form is the16XX tank.   Mind you they also havea late body GW railcar undergoing major restoration work  :sungum: 

Don't forget Jason also went to the SVR which has a 15XX. That's what I was expecting. Only a hundred out.  :sungum:

To be honest I've always thought that Hornby should have made a 16XX as a replacement for the 2721 a few years back. That's really starting to show it's age and I reckon they need a pannier in their range and most of them are now spoken for.

Not that I'm complaining. I just think a 16XX was an open goal and we'll probably get it before the 94XX which is "still in the drawing room".

Jason

Ahh. so you will want one to haul coal up and down Staffordshire hills then Andy !!!

Spot on Phil. I can probably live with the boiler and tank differences but I'll need to look for a bigger dome and a fugly chimney.

https://chasewaterrailwaymuseum.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/05062-no-9-cannock-wood-0-6-0t-lbsc-rly-1877-at-brighton-c-r-shunter-with-pole-jack-guy.png

• Like 2

My wallet is glad it is not the Metropolitan Railway E Class that was on the questionnaire.

I may get at least one of the LB&SCR E1 loco depending on the liveries.

MR-401  97 - LBSCR 'golden ochre'

MR-402  127 - LBSCR goods green

MR-403  B96 - Marsh umber but with 'B' prefix as applied by SR

MR-404  2142 - SR black (pre-War) 

MR-405  2606 - SR black, 'sunshine' lettering

MR-406  32151 - BR lined black, no emblem

MR-407  32113 - BR plain black, early emblem

MR-408  32689 - BR plain black, early emblem (weathered) 

MR-409  W2 - SR (IoW) lined green

MR-410  W4 - BR (IoW) black, early emblem

Chris KT