Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Interesting(?) diversions for Monday Bank Holiday

Invernes etc. to Euston Sleepers down the ECML early Monday Morning. Just for info. 1M11 and 16

Phil

The southbound one did the same last Monday. I saw it at Grantham as I ran in ECS to form the 06.10 to Nottingham. It was right behind our single car Spalding via Peterborough service

• RMweb Premium

A good diversion over the following weekend are Virgin Trains from Birmingham New St to Euston via Stafford!

Or you could have a bus ride to Coventry and pick one up there!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

On Saturday 26th there is no way in/out of New Street from the east, so trains to Derby and Leicester are going via Selly Oak and the Lifford Curve.

Did that once on a relief, back in 1984. Left New St, through University, left at Lifford, left again at Bordesley & back into New St! We continued straight through without stopping, to Wolves. I think the train had been platformed incorrectly on arrival, and that was the easiest way to get it to where it needed to be.

In fact we did stop in New St the 2nd time round, but barely long enough to get on or off, a matter of a couple of seconds.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

The southbound one did the same last Monday. I saw it at Grantham as I ran in ECS to form the 06.10 to Nottingham. It was right behind our single car Spalding via Peterborough service

Those 153 workings to Peterborough via Grantham and the ECML are weird enough in their own right. A virtually empty 153 at full tilt down the ECML fast is a pretty odd experience. 

Those 153 workings to Peterborough via Grantham and the ECML are weird enough in their own right. A virtually empty 153 at full tilt down the ECML fast is a pretty odd experience.

Must admit the sleeper looked pretty impressive, decent length train with a loco on the front. A 92, would have preferred one of the 'heritage' ones but you can't have everything

• Like 1

This was the scene at the east end of New St yesterday, with lots of Stop signs.

post-15533-0-98340500-1527435996_thumb.jpg

And this was the 11.49 New St to Euston, via Stafford.

post-15533-0-22106900-1527436212_thumb.jpg

post-15533-0-98443600-1527436231_thumb.jpg

They couldn't just go via Perry Barr and Aston as there was also work near Coventry.

And I finally got to do the Lifford Curve on a train from the Leicester line.

post-15533-0-98340500-1527435996_thumb.jpg

post-15533-0-22106900-1527436212_thumb.jpg

post-15533-0-98443600-1527436231_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This was the scene at the east end of New St yesterday, with lots of Stop signs.

And this was the 11.49 New St to Euston, via Stafford.

They couldn't just go via Perry Barr and Aston as there was also work near Coventry.

And I finally got to do the Lifford Curve on a train from the Leicester line.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134500-signallers-with-a-sense-of-humour/&do=findComment&comment=3178976

• Like 1

A bit OT but where exactly do these workings all originate? I'm not that familiar with East Midlands Trains routes.

A bit OT but where exactly do these workings all originate? I'm not that familiar with East Midlands Trains routes.

The EMT depot at Eastcroft in Nottingham. A unit works out to Peterborough (via Grantham and the ECML) at about 05:00 in the morning, and operates the shuttles between there and Spalding in the morning and evenings.

It works back to Nottingham via the Peterborough - Leicester line in the late evening, joining the Midland Main Line at Syston just North of Leicester, and then heading up the MML to Nottingham. On Saturdays it works back via the ECML and Grantham. 

The EMT depot at Eastcroft in Nottingham. A unit works out to Peterborough (via Grantham and the ECML) at about 05:00 in the morning, and operates the shuttles between there and Spalding in the morning and evenings.

It works back to Nottingham via the Peterborough - Leicester line in the late evening, joining the Midland Main Line at Syston just North of Leicester, and then heading up the MML to Nottingham. On Saturdays it works back via the ECML and Grantham.

The diagrams are a bit more complex than that, the unit leaving Nottingham in the morning stays outstationed at Lincoln overnight, and the one going to Nottingham in the evening has been at Lincoln over the previous night. It does tax the fuel capacity somewhat.

Yep on the way back to Nottingham in the week we normally go fast line from Sileby junction rattling through Loughborough at our maximum 75mph, so long as all the London's are running to time. Melton Mowbray to Nottingham non stop, best part of an hour.

Edited by great central
  • Like 1

The diagrams are a bit more complex than that, the unit leaving Nottingham in the morning stays outstationed at Lincoln overnight, and the one going to Nottingham in the evening has been at Lincoln over the previous night. It does tax the fuel capacity somewhat.

Yep on the way back to Nottingham in the week we normally go fast line from Sileby junction rattling through Loughborough at our maximum 75mph, so long as all the London's are running to time. Melton Mowbray to Nottingham non stop, best part of an hour.

Presumably this is all needed because the Joint Line is shut between Sleaford and Spalding in the morning and evenings, so the units can't be based at Lincoln?

From a passenger train perspective the joint is shut overnight but now it's all on one panel signalling there's no reason things can't run all night. Some freight may well do.

Last year the ECML was shut due to wires down near Werrington. Our 153 had to go in the siding at Spalding while we had our break, to allow a couple of diverted East Coast services past