Uncoupling magnets

I have recently bought a shunting layout and I want to use magnetic uncoupling using Sprat and Winkle couplings.

The Wizard magnets are rectangular and they are intended to fit immediately under the sleepers. I can't do this without taking the existing track up which I don't see as a great idea. Can anybody please advise a way forward?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could always use some Neodymium magnets of a size that will fit between the sleepers and bury them at the required depth. They are available in a wide range of sizes/thickness quite cheaply. Not sure whether just two straddling one sleeper would stretch far enough or if three between two sleepers would be required. I presume it's for 4mm?

Izzy

• Like 1

I have recently bought a shunting layout and I want to use magnetic uncoupling using Sprat and Winkle couplings.

The Wizard magnets are rectangular and they are intended to fit immediately under the sleepers. I can't do this without taking the existing track up which I don't see as a great idea. Can anybody please advise a way forward?

Hi,

If you have access to the underside of the baseboard and have a multitool (oscillating saw) the following might work:

Attach a marker or very small clamp to the appropriate width saw blade to show/limit depth of cut to the thickness of the baseboard (plus any cork or similar).

Mark underside of baseboard with location of magnet.

Carefully cut a rectangular hole (use narrow blade for the narrow sides).

Carefully ease out cut part of baseboard.

Fit magnet. Reballast if required.

Regards

Nick

You could always use some Neodymium magnets of a size that will fit between the sleepers and bury them at the required depth. They are available in a wide range of sizes/thickness quite cheaply. Not sure whether just two straddling one sleeper would stretch far enough or if three between two sleepers would be required. I presume it's for 4mm?

Izzy

Thank you for that, just bought some magnets off Amazon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A friend has just had a similar problem but in 2mm. He wanted to use some larger magnets than those that would fit between the sleepers,  so I suggested using a tipped drill with a brass tube over it so that the exposed drill was set to the depth 1mm below track level. He drilled them out and fitted the magnets and all works really well.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

Izzy

Neodymium magnets come in various strengths, the ones required for fitting between the rails probably being the strongest normally available. Warning ~ these type of magnets are so strong that they can literally fly when attracted to other magnetic surfaces and can also shatter easily. My magnets were provided with clear warning instructions. Treat them with great care! Remember also to remove your watch or risk damage. Even battery powered watches can be affected.

I can't comment on use with Sprat and Winkle couplings, but on Kadee couplings I found I needed N52 grade 4 x 3 x 3mm in order to get them to work reliably. Previously I had tried the 3x3x3mm N35 grade without success.  In both cases they are used across the track width (ie a strip of FIVE fitted between two sleepers). One strip was not enough in my scenario, and I ended up with using 4 strips and then glueing a scribed card to make a barrow crossing.

Hope that helps.

I use them successfully with S&W's - installed them before I finally laid the track but have added some after by gluing them in to the ballast between sleepers. Don't think I used such a large magnet though - they are very strong. I'll take a look and see what I fitted as the surplus are stuck to the radiator in the room to keep them out of mischief and where I can lay my hands on them if needed, but they were of a diameter to fit between C&L 00 sleepering.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I snapped the Wizard magnets in half. Carefully cut one sleeper out between the rail, close to the chairs, then use an engraving tool in a minidrill to mill out a rectangular hole in the baseboard, drop the magnet in and replace the cut out sleeper. Works a treat and looks fine when painted and ballasted.

• Like 1

I snapped the Wizard magnets in half. Carefully cut one sleeper out between the rail, close to the chairs, then use an engraving tool in a minidrill to mill out a rectangular hole in the baseboard, drop the magnet in and replace the cut out sleeper. Works a treat and looks fine when painted and ballasted.

We use the Brian Kirby method for Bachmann type couplings on one of our Club Layouts. The decision was taken after track laying so our magnets are fixed to the underside of the baseboard. Baseboard are 6mm tops plus underlay. You need to be very careful with the strength of these as they will attract steel axles, thus moving wagons following disengagement.

I bought a select pack to test with. I have used S & W couplings a while back and suggest you need the following size or thereabouts: 10x40x1.5mm. Use 2 at a time mounted end to end along the track line. I would suggest that you don't bother with any other shape as the oblong ones will give you cover for a pair of dropped up to about 60mm apart. I'll see if I can find a photo.

Dave.

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I intend to use S&W couplings on a layout that I have just started building. One of my locomotives is powered by a Tenshodo spud motor. As such motors are low slung would they be affected by the magnets below the track?