Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Painting Replica Glazing?

Good evening folks. I have just spent a very frustrating afternoon trying to paint the glazing bars, but not the glazing, on a set of Replica glazing for a Mk1 coach. Needless to say I’ve failed every time.

Does anyone out there have any tips for how to actually do it before I chuck the whole coach in the bin?

Tim T

• RMweb Gold

Easiest way I found was dipping the end of a cocktail stick in the paint and dragging it across the bars.

• RMweb Gold

A mapping pen might be of some use as well.  I remember doing this years ago on an Airfix Centenary that needed ventilators to match their lined maroon (actually Airfix used a weird sort of purple that was never all that convincing, though it did look a bit like weathered and faded maroon) livery.  I scribed the ventilators on to the windows rather crudely with something pointy, and applied maroon paint with a fine brush, a delicate job that I doubt I have the eyesight or steadiness of hand to manage these days!.  A friend made a much better job of his with a mapping pen directly on to the glazing.

I was wondering what the problem was as I've never had a Replica coach. Then I looked at the website. They are like the old Kitmaster coaches.

I would go down the cocktail stick route or very small paintbrush personally. Just a tiny bit at a time and make sure you have a bit of cloth with some thinners at hand if you do make a mistake. Or maybe use acrylic which cleans with water.

Jason

I've just been experimenting with a Sharpie fine point pen for some dmu windows in silver. Seems a good way of doing it.

Stewart

I had thought of that but they don’t seem to do maroon?

Tim T

Fair comment,but try Google? There is a Sharpie website showing the colour range.I didn't know they did silver, Ebay is a good source of individual colours.

Just for the record, I'm playing with a 3D print dmu body. I silvered the toplights and main window frames very easily. I've since given it a brush coat of green, getting some on the silver. I was then able to touch up the silver easily with the pen.

Biggest problem now is to smooth off the body before properly painting it.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Never having attempted this on rolling stock, I might be speaking utter rubbish.

Would it not be possible to lightly score the glazing bars with a craft knife? Then apply paint to the whole then wipe off leaving paint in the score lines.

Never having attempted this on rolling stock, I might be speaking utter rubbish.

Would it not be possible to lightly score the glazing bars with a craft knife? Then apply paint to the whole then wipe off leaving paint in the score lines.

Unfortunately not. The bars are raised to represent the actual window frames separating the main window pane from the sliding ventilators.

Tim T

• 2 months later...

When building model aircraft kits I always use a cocktail stick to do the glazing bars on the cockpit canopies, easiest way I have found, its like having a very fine nib pen, you just have to keep dipping in the paint reguarly.