The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

parkrun

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Is this a specific thing like "parkour" or just someone who goes jogging in a park?

http://www.parkrun.com

Free weekly timed 5K, held at 9am Saturday in parks throughout the land, and in an ever-increasing list of countries outside the UK.

It's a run not a race, some people go for it, some just amble around, some actually walk. In fact the tail runner is now called the tail walker for that reason.

If you volunteer 25 times you get a free volunteer t-shirt, you also get free milestone t-shirt shirts at 50, 100, 250 & 500 runs. Neither running nor volunteering is compulsory, in fact there are people who don't run, just volunteer.

It's a great way to start the weekend, bit of exercise, some cameraderie, you get to spend some time with some easy going like minded people, and you make friends. And eat cake!

• RMweb Gold

I completed the couch to 5K and may give our park run a go this Saturday.

David

Perfect way to carry on from C25K! I am one of the coaches for the C25K group run by my running club, although we're going to "graduate" them on the 5K course that we use for our race series, which is on the old Midland Bristol-Bath line, from Bitton station.

C25K graduation at parkrun is not unusual, we quite often get them at our local parkrun.

I do quite a lot of running. I like parkrun as it gets you to train regularly and there's a bit of a competitive aspect, if you want.

I read this as Parklife!

Oo's that gutlord marching, you should cut down on your porklife mate, get some exercise...

Remember 'it's not about you joggers who go round and round and round...' :);)

Could not agree more that it's a great start to the weekend. You'll be home before 10am and feel a little sense of achievement. I've not been in a while as I play hockey on Saturdays and since the end of the season have had an unfortunate run of Friday late shifts that need recuperating from!

It amuses me that people will always find a way to make even the simplest hobby an expensive one. Whole families in branded lycra running kits with extra accessories when shorts and t-shirt usually suffice. Each to their own! (It is important to invest in some sturdy running shoes though).

In all seriousness, park run is great and caters to all who want to join in. I just turn up, run and go home, but there is a big opportunity for a social element too.

I sometimes do it.

Great organisation & totally free. A good way to start the weekend & be back at a decent time in the morning.

I prefer cycling when possible, but this takes longer & running is less unpleasant in the wet, which is why I don't do parkrun very often.

• RMweb Gold

Some poor lady got 300m on our local one, then collapsed and died.

I prefer my treadmill , less strain on knees , ankles etc

Yes, sadly that does happen from time to time. We have a defib at our parkrun now. But, sad though it is, she could have collapsed and died running to catch a bus, or climbing the stairs. We all have to go sometime, somehow, most of us don't get the chance to choose how or when.

I did my first parkrun yesterday came 43 out of 117 and was 6th in my age range! I must admit I don't really enjoy runing but I enjoy the result when its done, and have lost weight and trimed up in only a few weeks just by doing 20-30 minutes most days and feel I have a lot more energy than I did.

David

Well done! good result as well, well into the top 50%. Which parkrun was it?

Edited by rodent279

Yes, sadly that does happen from time to time. We have a defib at our parkrun now. But, sad though it is, she could have collapsed and died running to catch a bus, or climbing the stairs. We all have to go sometime, somehow, most of us don't get the chance to choose how or when.

Well done! good result as well, well into the top 50%. Which parkrun was it?

It was Aylesbury. Yesterday morning I woke up and thought I would do the Tour de vale bike ride which was 25k, completed it in just over an hour and after passing shower people I started to pass those on proper racing bikes and lycra, My bike is pretty standard with mudguards and a carrier! 

My wife has done a few. She was impressed by how friendly everyone was, and how relaxed the whole event seems to be. 

She tends to go if we are staying near somewhere attractive, and took part in the Fountains Abbey one a few weeks ago. She even did one on Christmas morning last year, which gave me plenty of time to stuff and prepare the turkey unhindered by "well meaning assistants". 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was Aylesbury. Yesterday morning I woke up and thought I would do the Tour de vale bike ride which was 25k, completed it in just over an hour and after passing shower people I started to pass those on proper racing bikes and lycra, My bike is pretty standard with mudguards and a carrier! 

Nice one! I need to do Aylesbury sometime, my dad lives in Leighton Buzzard, so we do Rushmere when we're over.

I have a Brompton folder as well as a standard bike, although not designed for speed, it can nip along quite nicely, and I quite often pass cyclists on bigger bikes.

• RMweb Gold

I've just registered thanks to this thread. I'm a regular 5 - 10k runner but I like the incentive of getting out of bed on a saturday.

Good man, I love it when I get a convert!

Do volunteer as well, part of the buzz of parkrun is in volunteering. It's not compulsory to volunteer, it's perfectly ok not to, but it does add to your parkrun experience, and is good fun.

And if you're on Faceache, have a look for the various parkrun groups as well. There is parkrun Discussion Group, parkrun Tourism Journey, and a few others.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I completed my first parkrun this morning. Really enjoyed it, and came third in my age category.

I'm not generally a morning runner, as, being a lifelong asthmatic, I find that my lungs don't really get out of bed until

the afternoon, so my preferred running slot has always been late afternoon or early evening. But I got up early, had

a strong shot of coffee, and didn't feel too bad once we were at the start.

I look forward to doing it again next week.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Did my fourth today. I wouldn't say I'm enjoying the run itself particularly (ours has a steep bit, which has to be done three times) but it's a nice feeling once it's over and the day's still ahead of you.

• RMweb Gold

I really need to start going again, when we lived in Bristol I was a regular on the Little Stoke Parkrun. Since moving into the country I made it back to Little Stoke a few times before it was closed but not since.

I just always end up forgetting (having been up since 6 or 7 with the children on a Saturday morning...)

I really need to start going again, when we lived in Bristol I was a regular on the Little Stoke Parkrun. Since moving into the country I made it back to Little Stoke a few times before it was closed but not since.

I just always end up forgetting (having been up since 6 or 7 with the children on a Saturday morning...)

Out of interest, and without being political, given the legislation following the closure of Little Stoke is it likely to start again?