The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

parkrun

rodent279

I did my 10th parkrun today and a PB for the course of 23.45, My best time for a 5K was 23.25 which I did down the Pheonix trail on Thursday this is the old Wycombe Railway line between Risborough and Thame which is a really lovely route.

Just six months ago I never could run over a minute.

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 3

That would be a blisteringly good time on our local course, putting you inside the top 20 out of 108 runners. Maybe you missed a career in athletics?

I have done three different park run courses and generally get into the top quarter of runners, I do push myself and are pretty knackered and sweaty when I finish. 

I don't have any real interest in sport I just do it for myself.

• Like 1

Never been a runner and started running as I'm so useless it gives me a great workout. My wife found park run and forced me along. Don't want to admit it but I quite enjoy it (freshens me up for a spot of Saturday modelling!).

Even managed a few tourist parkruns... including poland.

Will

• Like 2

Nothing better than a good sweat before second breakfast. And a sleep in - its a 9.30 start here in Scotland. Unfortunately I don't get to run very often - clashes with the wife's swimming. Managed to come within 1 second of my course PB last week, unexpected as not really been training properly. Achilles/calf been painful ever since however... Its a great way to push yourself hard (if you want to).

• Like 1

I have been park running on and off for a couple of years. Regularly running at rugby - occasionally coventry. Try to do runs when we go away so have also done Salisbury, ashton court, Exeter and kings lynn. PBs are coming down this year - finally feel i am actually running!

Current best set last week at kings lynn 28.28

Pete

Edited by moonlight
  • Like 1

Working the distance back up after a 6 month lay-off via the couch to 5k programme and intend to do our local Parkrun as my first 'comeback' full 5k outing.

For those with children don't forget there are also the 2k Junior Parkruns (same organisation) that go at 9am on a Sunday. My wife help set up our junior run in Clitheroe and some of the team have gone on to set up an adult run on Saturdays too (apologies for the shameless plug!)

Our 5 year old was thrilled to get his 'marathon' wrist band a couple of weeks back after completing 21 runs. Its a great thing, completely voluntary and has done its job even if only one more person gets off their sofa and does something active. Our local council have been nothing but positive and full supported us.

We also did some run tourism during our 2 weeks in Cornwall this year - the junior run in Bodmin and the adult run at the Eden Project (btw if you run, volunteer our just support the Eden run you get in for free - and its a great day out too).

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/juniorevents/

Edited by bill badger

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Out of interest, and without being political, given the legislation following the closure of Little Stoke is it likely to start again?

That would depend on a change of heart within Little Stoke Parish Council. South Glos Council, who actually own the park concerned, are very supportive of parkrun, but because it's sub-let to Little Stoke, there was little they could do.

I know a couple of the former RD's there. Their view is never say never, but no one is holding their breath.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else do two on New Year’s Day? :)

We were in Poole, neither of the two events there, Poole and Upton House, did a NYD event, I guess because of the potential numbers they would get. We just went for a trot around Poole, which happened purely by chance to be spot on 5K!

We did go to our local, Pomphrey Hill (best parkrun in Bristol!) on Xmas day. I volunteered, Mrs Rodent and mini Rodent both ran.

Edited by rodent279

That would depend on a change of heart within Little Stoke Parish Council. South Glos Council, who actually own the park concerned, are very supportive of parkrun, but because it's sub-let to Little Stoke, there was little they could do.

I know a couple of the former RD's there. Their view is never say never, but no one is holding their breath.

Yes. I can’t remember if the new laws said local authorities weren’t allowed to stop a parkrun from taking place in a public park or just that, once an agreement is reached, they can’t charge for the use of it. If it is the former then presumably they could just restart, although I could understand them not doing so in order to maintain goodwill with the council (if there is any). A couple of my local ones have had issues (one relocated, another having its route changed to out and back in winter) as they are on Woodland Trust land that isn’t covered by any of this anyway. Main problem seems to be the grass and trails/paths getting churned up in winter, which on one hand is a reasonable thing for the Woodland Trust to be concerned about, but on the other is probably something they should have thought of before allowing a parkrun to take place there.

• RMweb Gold

I get the point about grass being churned up, but grass is one of the hardiest lifeforms on the planet! It's very difficult to kill the stuff off.

A local race that I marshalled in January last year used a field for parking around 200 cars. After the race, the field turned into a muddy bog, and cars were having to be pushed out, even 4x4's. The field was grass at the start of the day, just a sea of mud at the end.

6 weeks later you could hardly tell anything had happened.

• RMweb Gold

Yep. The 2 in Milton Keynes. I believe they only pair of single loop events in the country close enough to do both on foot on NYD.

I also live close enough to run to/from them, so I did the entire thing on foot.

Linford Wood & Willen Lake?

A couple of years ago, we did Pomphrey Hill and Chipping Sodbury on NYD (I was on the RD team at PH at the time). CS was on at 0900, PH at 1030, and at least two people did CS then ran to PH and did PH. They are about 6 miles apart, it was close, but they got there in time.

Linford Wood & Willen Lake?

Yes, in that order. It is the 3rd time I have done both.

They are less than 3 miles apart so ideal for running between, which many did. Both broke their own attendance records: 640 at Linford Wood then 908 at Willen Lake, which was the 4th best attended in the country.

I heard talk that a 3rd MK parkrun may be on the way, probably in Bletchley. I doubt all 3 would be a NYD option though.

• RMweb Gold

I think there was an informal NYD event at our local Parkrun (Aberdare) but I didn't find out about it until the following Saturday. They do all the coordination via Facebook which is

a little awkward if you don't have (or want) an FB account, and now FB have made it even harder by removing the "not now" option from the login button.