Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

Speaking to my cousin earlier regarding the time he worked for the National Grid he was telling me that there are plenty of PL1S pylons around the Warrington area which he worked on during his employment between 1970-2000. They refurbished quite a lot in the area including the two giants over the MSC by Acton Grange Junction few years ago. He also got called out to attend to a failed pylon sinking in the marshes at Stafford Common about 20 years ago. Some of the PL1S pylons along the marshes there (North of Stafford) were in a condemned state due to their age I suppose, even the insulators were not free to swing with the cables and the metalwork had seized up altogether. When he got there the pylon was leaning over at 30 degrees and a substitute temporary single tower had to be erected on a concrete block with loads of stay wires to carry the cables way from the sinking pylon. The condition of the line in that area was actually really bad and they decided to scrap it as they found another pylon starting to lean and the concrete feet had completely disappeared below ground. The rest of the line into Stafford itself was kept and modified including the same line that crossed the WCML just north of Stafford station. Have anyone here got any photos of these temporary single tower mounted on a single concrete block?. Reminds you of a lattice crane jib in the vertical position.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I honestly don’t know it just looked like a D60 as the pattern and shape looked the same, I saw a D60 too and will do a comparison using a couple of pics, it might well be but like I said, it’s just what it looked like.

best regards, Matthew

86045462-5197-43FB-A246-858C8F0DF0FE.jpeg

F815817B-99AE-4FBB-8420-901722C2284F.jpeg

Yep first photo is an L2 D40EC and second photo is a D60 running on 132kv single conductors on the short extention that runs southwest of the Indian Queen's substation. Key differences are the tower peaks, the D60 has a flat peak with angled sides whereas the D40EC has a pointed peak like a D30. Also the D60 has pointed crossarms on the inside of the turn and square ended crossarms on outside, the D40EC has square ended crossarms on both sides of the tower. D40EC intended where circuits split away from the centre line usually on the approach to substations like this one.

Cheers Paul

5 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Also, what L6 would this be? I know it’s of a Balfour Beatty design and I know it has traits of a D60 but I want to know if it’s a special type of tower. There is another type of this at another substation (name I have forgotten) that has a similar design too. 

B5914766-4B2A-4B60-B431-EC173540F95A.jpeg

EDA79DC1-5840-4DFB-A72D-DBCDE52A4E23.jpeg

First photo looks like an L6 equivalent of the L2 D40EC tower I've just described. Second photo looks to be a L6 D60 maybe Blaw Knox not got my info handy right now.

Cheers Paul

2 hours ago, RELIEF SIGNALMAN said:

Speaking to my cousin earlier regarding the time he worked for the National Grid he was telling me that there are plenty of PL1S pylons around the Warrington area which he worked on during his employment between 1970-2000. They refurbished quite a lot in the area including the two giants over the MSC by Acton Grange Junction few years ago. He also got called out to attend to a failed pylon sinking in the marshes at Stafford Common about 20 years ago. Some of the PL1S pylons along the marshes there (North of Stafford) were in a condemned state due to their age I suppose, even the insulators were not free to swing with the cables and the metalwork had seized up altogether. When he got there the pylon was leaning over at 30 degrees and a substitute temporary single tower had to be erected on a concrete block with loads of stay wires to carry the cables way from the sinking pylon. The condition of the line in that area was actually really bad and they decided to scrap it as they found another pylon starting to lean and the concrete feet had completely disappeared below ground. The rest of the line into Stafford itself was kept and modified including the same line that crossed the WCML just north of Stafford station. Have anyone here got any photos of these temporary single tower mounted on a single concrete block?. Reminds you of a lattice crane jib in the vertical position.  

Possibly this ? EDDDA967-1AD8-442E-ACBE-F1E067D82869.jpeg.8c5e5de77c7ded9f5e545fd7e11f375c.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Also, what L6 would this be? I know it’s of a Balfour Beatty design and I know it has traits of a D60 but I want to know if it’s a special type of tower. There is another type of this at another substation (name I have forgotten) that has a similar design too. 

B5914766-4B2A-4B60-B431-EC173540F95A.jpeg

EDA79DC1-5840-4DFB-A72D-DBCDE52A4E23.jpeg

CE61098B-237E-4ED2-957C-0B1F40053CC1.jpeg.d6e0d3f2086d050a55373b1fa1d2516a.jpeg35DD7DE4-539E-4C2D-87CE-5A99EA0FCABB.jpeg.5a9960e9738eb7b2ee1246455dbd968f.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

First photo looks like an L6 equivalent of the L2 D40EC tower I've just described. Second photo looks to be a L6 D60 maybe Blaw Knox not got my info handy right now.

Cheers Paul

They are both Balfour Beatty L6s and the second one is doing the same thing as the first, the only reason I said they are the same is because they have pointed tops, compared to the flat top on a standard D60

12 hours ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Ah ok. So is that tower at Burwell a D40EC then and is there a plan for it?

best regards, Matthew 

No plans regarding Burrell , the tower designs appear to have Balfour Beatty/Blaw  Knox and BICC designs.

8 hours ago, RLWP said:

By the looks of it the 132kv PL16 line is going under a L3/L2 line. My guess for this is that the PL16 line (the smaller pylons) was built first but when the L2/L3 pylons came about later they had to split the line and divert it underneath using those smaller pylons. I’m not an expert I just like these things so I might be wrong in a couple of places but someone will correct me.

HTH,

Matthew

6 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

These remind me of one of earlier L6 designs...

Cheers Paul

Yes it does indeed, I thought the same thing. It's the JL EVE variant of the L6 is the one you mean.

(Edit): Just found out why they are so similar, the L13 is designed by Babcocks who are JL EVE.  

36B4EA74-8142-4A7E-B44B-5AF5EF7F23E8.jpeg

B53AC45E-F16F-4862-9D6C-5EE6F8ADDFF8.png

Edited by LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004
  • Like 1