Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

8 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Yes again on the M60 orbital motorway around west side of Manchester you see the L6 line from South Manchester to Daines/Carrington and this has two replacement L6M towers that were added in some years ago now to move the line slightly to make room for the Metrolink extention to Manchester Airport - you can see them near to J6 - they stand out quite well

Cheers Paul

Ahh, I think I've followed those ones on google earth. They do stand out nicely indeed!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

I don't think there are many of the L3 versions - there may be more lurking around lol. I've never seen a similar version for the L8 range of towers.... but then again who knows!

Cheers Paul

That makes sense, it would be interesting to see what an L8 one looks like and maybe and L12 too!

Kind regards, Felix

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Ahh, I think I've followed those ones on google earth. They do stand out nicely indeed!

The chap that owned the house just to the east side played merry hell that the D30 tower had been repositioned -  it was in the Manchester Evening News at the time - I have the cutting somewhere.... filed away under something lol

Cheers Paul

3 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

That makes sense, it would be interesting to see what an L8 one looks like and maybe and L12 too!

Kind regards, Felix

Hi Felix, yep I'm not sure if they would have made L8 or L12 versions as I would guess they would just plonk a DT tower in the place as that would have squared end cross-arms on both sides of the tower and so in theory able to diverge each circuit off at diverging angles?  When they re-did Macclesfield back in 1992 they replaced the L2 D90 with an L2 DT and it kept the same tower number ZEA 2 - I was expecting it be be ZEA 2R but not. So the DT turns the line into the new substation that has twin L8 DT/DT90 towers.

Cheers Paul

16 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

The chap that owned the house just to the east side played merry hell that the D30 tower had been repositioned -  it was in the Manchester Evening News at the time - I have the cutting somewhere.... filed away under something lol

Cheers Paul

Sounds like a great read! Especially I have limited reading resources and guides on pylons here. Which is a shame as it'd be great to read about the L2's construction in the mid 50s and L6's in the 60s and issues they faced.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Hi Felix, yep I'm not sure if they would have made L8 or L12 versions as I would guess they would just plonk a DT tower in the place as that would have squared end cross-arms on both sides of the tower and so in theory able to diverge each circuit off at diverging angles?  When they re-did Macclesfield back in 1992 they replaced the L2 D90 with an L2 DT and it kept the same tower number ZEA 2 - I was expecting it be be ZEA 2R but not. So the DT turns the line into the new substation that has twin L8 DT/DT90 towers.

Cheers Paul

Thanks, that makes sense to use terminal towers! Shame about that D90 L2! So far I only know of 3 in the UK, so I am hunting to find more. 

I'll check out those L8DT90 towers as i've never heard of them

Also is it me or are L7 pylons a miniature version of the L6, and are L4M's a smaller version L12?

Kind regards, Felix

Edited by L2's are great!

26 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Ooh never seen one of those before!! Looks like the crossarms are slightly closer together, Good find! Also is that an L6 BB D30 in the far distance??

Yes it is. It’s part one of the line that runs from the former Hams Hall power station. By the looks of it the line was rerouted as the D30 that is just before the D60 is at a very odd and unusual angle (I do have photos somewhere of it but not to hand a the mo)

best regards, Matthew 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Thanks, that makes sense to use terminal towers! Shame about that D90 L2! So far I only know of 3 in the UK, so I am hunting to find more. 

I'll check out those L8DT90 towers as i've never heard of them

Also is it me or are L7 pylons a miniature version of the L6, and are L4M's a smaller version L12?

Kind regards, Felix

There’s loads of D90s around. One by the M11, A406 (would’ve been M15) junction. Another along the M25 near the Dartford crossing, there’s another one that Paul (pharcc20) in the Manchester area near a substation along with a slightly modified D90, I’m sure he’d show you that. There’s another one at a power station in Lincolnshire but the name leaves me. Another is along the M6 where the hybrid “L2Cs” exist.

best regards, Matthew 

22 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Yes it is. It’s part one of the line that runs from the former Hams Hall power station. By the looks of it the line was rerouted as the D30 that is just before the D60 is at a very odd and unusual angle (I do have photos somewhere of it but not to hand a the mo)

best regards, Matthew 

Ahh I see! It looks a BICC D30 at a lopsided angle

17 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

There’s loads of D90s around. One by the M11, A406 (would’ve been M15) junction. Another along the M25 near the Dartford crossing, there’s another one that Paul (pharcc20) in the Manchester area near a substation along with a slightly modified D90, I’m sure he’d show you that. There’s another one at a power station in Lincolnshire but the name leaves me. Another is along the M6 where the hybrid “L2Cs” exist.

best regards, Matthew 

Thanks! Will deffo check those locations out in a bit! Funnily enough came across the hybrid L2's last week, I wonder what an L2c d90 would look like?? I know the one by the M25 which is north of the crossing in Essex, I think it routes the northern L2 line into Warley Substation. 

Untitled.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Thanks! Will deffo check those locations out in a bit! Funnily enough came across the hybrid L2's last week, I wonder what an L2c d90 would look like?? I know the one by the M25 which is north of the crossing in Essex, I think it routes the northern L2 line into Warley Substation. 

Untitled.png

Yep that’s the one too. Unfortunately it was just a standard D90 but there was a hybrid D60 in the line

B630E980-F2DD-40DF-BE4C-247A403944F4.jpeg

1 hour ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Yep that’s the one too. Unfortunately it was just a standard D90 but there was a hybrid D60 in the line

B630E980-F2DD-40DF-BE4C-247A403944F4.jpeg

I believe that line starts with a few regular L2 towers including a normal D60 an then it switches to the hybrids. Its a shame there are not more hybrids. 

19 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

I love its wide base!

Is that imagery from google maps by any chance? 

Yep that’s google maps

17 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

I believe that line starts with a few regular L2 towers including a normal D60 an then it switches to the hybrids. Its a shame there are not more hybrids. 

Yeah it’s a shame there isn’t more hybrids, but at least they exist

8 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

I did come across this 132kv L3 line and then saw this D90 tower

Never seen an D90 tower running on this voltage

It looks just like an L2 D90 unsurprisingly and so was wondering if the same D90 design is used for both L2 and L3?

Untitled (2).png

Very nice find. And yes I believe so that the same D90 design was used but I don’t really know.

best regards, Matthew 

1 minute ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Yep that’s google maps

Yeah it’s a shame there isn’t more hybrids, but at least they exist

Very nice find. And yes I believe so that the same D90 design was used but I don’t really know.

best regards, Matthew 

Thanks Matthew! 

I'm currently on the hunt for unusual finds on google earth so if anything pops up i'll post! 

Kind regards, Felix