Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

Just now, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I believe L2s and L3s came at the around the same time, I might be wrong on that one as I like L6s more. 

Best regards, Matthew

No worries mate! L6's are beasts so I can understand where u r coming from! I prefer deviation towers especially D90's 

Wow! That must be an L6 B.I.C.C D90 tower, love their uneven arms. I believe there is another one at Baitings Reservoir up north and a pair of them down in Lydd near Dungeness.

Where was that may I ask? The photos look quite dated as well!

If you like L6's yourself, check out this video I found:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUowNWSk4uU

Edited by L2's are great!

29 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Wow! That must be an L6 B.I.C.C D90 tower, love their uneven arms. I believe there is another one at Baitings Reservoir up north and a pair of them down in Lydd near Dungeness.

Where was that may I ask? The photos look quite dated as well!

If you like L6's yourself, check out this video I found:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUowNWSk4uU

It is near Stonham Aspel in Suffolk. Near the crossroads between the A1120 and the A140. As for the quality they were done last week but I was using my phones camera. I will check out that video now.

best regards, Matthew 

• Like 1

Cheers will check it out!

The images look like they were from the 70s, which is really cool as it was when the L6's were fairly new. 

Here is an interesting composition of L2 towers including what looks like a terminal tower but being used as a D10 tower weirdly

Kind regards, Felix

DSC_0148 (1).JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Cheers will check it out!

The images look like they were from the 70s, which is really cool as it was when the L6's were fairly new. 

Here is an interesting composition of L2 towers including what looks like a terminal tower but being used as a D10 tower weirdly

Kind regards, Felix

DSC_0148 (1).JPG

Very nice. Fairly unusual to see them mixed with standard pylons so great catch. I watched that video and by the looks of it it’s a BICC L6 line under construction, it said it was in Hampshire so it might lead to one of the substations there like Nursling. There’s a few others but that’s the only one I know off the top of my head.

best regards, Matthew 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

Very nice. Fairly unusual to see them mixed with standard pylons so great catch. I watched that video and by the looks of it it’s a BICC L6 line under construction, it said it was in Hampshire so it might lead to one of the substations there like Nursling. There’s a few others but that’s the only one I know off the top of my head.

best regards, Matthew 

Thanks!, having watched it after you sent those diagrams, I definitely recognised it as a BICC line. Do you have favourite L6 design? I'd say mine is the JL variant!

Kind regards, Felix

Just now, L2's are great! said:

Thanks! , having watched it after you sent those diagrams, I definitely recognised it as a BICC line. Do you have favourite L6 design? I'd say mine is the JL variant!

Kind regards Felix

I really like all of them, but if I had a choice I’d say the Balfour Beatty versions. As for what you mentioned earlier about the 2 D90s near Dungeness. A quick google found this lovely image:

181C6E38-438F-4CE7-A4A6-6D03F59E1F19.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

I really like all of them, but if I had a choice I’d say the Balfour Beatty versions. As for what you mentioned earlier about the 2 D90s near Dungeness. A quick google found this lovely image:

181C6E38-438F-4CE7-A4A6-6D03F59E1F19.jpeg

Beasts!!! I like how one has twin conductors and the other quad conductors. 

The first L6's I ever encountered were BB's so that makes them significant. It would be interesting to know which L6 was the eldest. I think the BICC and BB were the earliest and then the other two were later. I could be wrong though.

Here is the other BICC D90 I mentioned earlier at Baitings reservoir (with quad conductors).

Kind regards, Felix

pylons-stock-photograph_csp32194293.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Beasts!!! I like how one has twin conductors and the other quad conductors. 

The first L6's I ever encountered were BB's so that makes them significant. It would be interesting to know which L6 was the eldest. I think the BICC and BB were the earliest and then the other two were later. I could be wrong though.

Here is the other BICC D90 I mentioned earlier at Baitings reservoir (with quad conductors).

Kind regards, Felix

pylons-stock-photograph_csp32194293.jpg

The one with twin conductors links to an L2 circuit that goes to a substation in between the M20 and HS1. The other one utilises triple conductors and goes from Dungeness to Bolney substation in East Sussex. It would be indeed interesting to see which L6 is the oldest but it’s the mystery which keeps us entertained if you know what I mean? And yes the D90s are huge beasts. I’ve encountered 4 of them and all BICC

best regards, Matthew

5 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Never seen this before. L6 JL going to BB.

B78A5A.jpg

That’s very close to me, and the reason really does show in the photo, the M11 came after the pylons did so they needed to be repositioned and at this point (around the mid 70s), they used what they had left hence the 2 Blaw Knox L6s and the BICC L6 along with the rest of the 4ZM Balfour Beatty line between Pelham, Burwell and Walpole.

best regards, Matthew

1 minute ago, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

That’s very close to me, and the reason really does show in the photo, the M11 came after the pylons did so they needed to be repositioned and at this point (around the mid 70s), they used what they had left hence the 2 Blaw Knox L6s and the BICC L6 along with the rest of the 4ZM Balfour Beatty line between Pelham, Burwell and Walpole.

best regards, Matthew

Wow, that's really interesting. I didn't know that they could link the line together through different designs. 

Kind regards Felix

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Wow, that's really interesting. I didn't know that they could link the line together through different designs. 

Kind regards Felix

As long as they have the same voltage. All the pylons are compatible with each other, however I think seeing a L6 running on 132kv would be a waste of money and steel mind you. But L2s running on 132kv do exist as do L6s on 275kv I think.

422955DA-4FFE-4E1C-9CDB-F1AB9B29672A.jpeg

1E323C0C-ABFF-48CA-98BF-4B767EA52471.jpeg

AB48BA87-E8E0-44EC-9955-08B41B5C1E4B.jpeg

81BF9666-DCD4-41CA-B113-70B5F93F0BF8.jpeg

Edited by LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004
  • Like 1

On 04/09/2019 at 20:11, L2's are great! said:

Kind regards Felix

Yep it is quite possible to mix tower designs. L2s replaced by L8s is pretty much the norm now. Then how about an L8 line with a guest L2 tower? The YYS L8 line from Capenhurst to Ince does this and features an L2 D30 mid way along - you can see it from the M56 between J14 and J15 where you see the L6 and L8 running together. Also up on the M62 on the climb over Saddleworth Moor between J21 and J22 you see the L8 ZPA line that features some L2 towers plus some more recent L6 towers that were used to replace the original L8 towers where it crosses the motorway. The ZPA line starts at Stalybridge with an L2 DT and runs to the tee with the ZP above Littleborough with an L2 DJT.. so was this originally an L2 line but almost entirely replaced with L8 towers hmmm? Same applies to the ZZC Stalybridge to Bredbury line that starts from Staly as L2 then goes up the hill then switches to L8 for a while then back to L2 all the rest of the way - except for one replacement tower that was inserted as an L8 DJT tower in 1991 replacing the next tower down L2 DJT.

It's so much fun working out what may have happened - there can't be many lines that haven't been altered in some way or other.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

On 04/09/2019 at 20:43, LMS_LNER_SR_GWR_fan2004 said:

As long as they have the same voltage. All the pylons are compatible with each other, however I think seeing a L6 running on 132kv would be a waste of money and steel mind you. But L2s running on 132kv do exist as do L6s on 275kv I think.

422955DA-4FFE-4E1C-9CDB-F1AB9B29672A.jpeg

1E323C0C-ABFF-48CA-98BF-4B767EA52471.jpeg

AB48BA87-E8E0-44EC-9955-08B41B5C1E4B.jpeg

81BF9666-DCD4-41CA-B113-70B5F93F0BF8.jpeg

Are these the ones near Indian Queen's??

No relation to Clive though lol

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L2's are great! said:

Yeh those are the ones! 

Found this rather unusual L3 Deviation tower that has a wider base and the crossarms are closer together

Untitled.png

Yep seems to be the L3 equivalent of the L2 D40EC - there one of these towers at Waterswallows on the approach to Buxton on the A6 from Stockport - part of an L3 (deviations) and L3C (suspension) line from New Mills

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Yep it is quite possible to mix tower designs. L2s replaced by L8s is pretty much the norm now. Then how about an L8 line with a guest L2 tower? The YYS L8 line from Capenhurst to Ince does this and features an L2 D30 mid way along - you can see it from the M56 between J14 and J15 where you see the L6 and L8 running together. Also up on the M62 on the climb over Saddleworth Moor between J21 and J22 you see the L8 ZPA line that features some L2 towers plus some more recent L6 towers that were used to replace the original L8 towers where it crosses the motorway. The ZPA line starts at Stalybridge with an L2 DT and runs to the tee with the ZP above Littleborough with an L2 DJT.. so was this originally an L2 line but almost entirely replaced with L8 towers hmmm? Same applies to the ZZC Stalybridge to Bredbury line that starts from Staly as L2 then goes up the hill then switches to L8 for a while then back to L2 all the rest of the way - except for one replacement tower that was inserted as an L8 DJT tower in 1991 replacing the next tower down L2 DJT.

It's so much fun working out what may have happened - there can't be many lines that haven't been altered in some way or other.

Cheers Paul

Yes indeed!

Thanks for all the info! I've seen quite a few lines that are a mix between L2 and L8 but rarely seen different variants of L6's together or L6's and L9's on the same line.

I find it interesting to try and visualise a replacement tower being installed!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Yep seems to be the L3 equivalent of the L2 D40EC - there one of these towers at Waterswallows on the approach to Buxton on the A6 from Stockport - part of an L3 (deviations) and L3C (suspension) line from New Mills

Cheers Paul

Ahh, will check it out!! I wondered why i'd never seen one before. 

Is there an L8 equivalent of the D40EC?

Kind regards, Felix

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Yes indeed!

Thanks for all the info! I've seen quite a few lines that are a mix between L2 and L8 but rarely seen different variants of L6's together or L6's and L9's on the same line.

I find it interesting to try and visualise a replacement tower being installed!!

Yes again on the M60 orbital motorway around west side of Manchester you see the L6 line from South Manchester to Daines/Carrington and this has two replacement L6M towers that were added in some years ago now to move the line slightly to make room for the Metrolink extention to Manchester Airport - you can see them near to J6 - they stand out quite well

Cheers Paul

4 minutes ago, L2's are great! said:

Ahh, will check it out!! I wondered why i'd never seen one before. 

Is there an L8 equivalent of the D40EC?

Kind regards, Felix

I don't think there are many of the L3 versions - there may be more lurking around lol. I've never seen a similar version for the L8 range of towers.... but then again who knows!

Cheers Paul