Last BR scheduled steam 3.8.1968 details

robmcg

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MattR said:

True, but as a scheduled service, I had hoped previous instances might give a general clue as to the consist.

What time of day was the train?

I think i may have found it.

17.26 Glasgow (17.20 from Edinburgh) - Manchester Victoria (between 22nd June - 7th September).

Liverpool portion detached at Preston.

Then runs as 21.25 Preston-Liverpool Exchange.

Formed TSO CK BSK CK BSK SK

(First three coaches are from Glasgow, last three from Edinburgh)

This is the only train where the detached portion goes to Liv.Ex. There are a few Glasgow-Liverpool trains but with those, the detached portion goes Preston-Manchester. They are also earlier in the day.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

19 minutes ago, keefer said:

What time of day was the train?

I think i may have found it.

17.26 Glasgow (17.20 from Edinburgh) - Manchester Victoria (between 22nd June - 7th September).

Liverpool portion detached at Preston.

Then runs as 21.25 Preston-Liverpool Exchange.

Formed TSO CK BSK CK BSK SK

(First three coaches are from Glasgow, last three from Edinburgh)

This is the only train where the detached portion goes to Liv.Ex. There are a few Glasgow-Liverpool trains but with those, the detached portion goes Preston-Manchester. They are also earlier in the day.

Amazing, that looks like it! The 17.25 from Glasgow then split and run as 1F51, the 21.25 to Liverpool Exchange.

Edited by MattR
  • Like 1

Now I guess my next question is, is the 6-coach consist listed before or after it was split for Manchester and Liverpool?

The reports remark that there only a few regular passengers in the split consist bound for Liverpool, which makes me think the split consist didn't have very many coaches, however it seems insane that the "seething" masses of people trying to ride the train for historic purposes may have been crammed into just three coaches. 🤔

Edited by MattR

• RMweb Premium

@MattR

The split portion forming Preston-Liv.Ex is six coaches as listed.

The train originated in Glasgow, three coaches from Edinburgh were added (probably at Carstairs) and this then travelled to Preston where the rear 6 coaches (3 from Glasgow and the 3 from Edinburgh) were detached to form the Liverpool train.

EDIT:

(Courtesy Robert Carroll's io.group)

Full train:

20231109_182621.jpg.0a0064d79a6c2c99a1a4b1b447180b89.jpg

Preston-Liverpool Exc. portion:

20231109_182308.jpg.90b7fce97e1d0fb2863acbe63cb8863d.jpg

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

@MattR glad to help! Quite pleased i managed to find the correct notice, sometimes can't quite manage to find the exact working.

Of course, the actual train may differ from the booked formation - either coach types or the order they are in.

I seem to recall a photo of this train at Preston, in colour, in an around - the - turn - of - the - century issue of Backtrack. Certainly between about 1999 and 2005. The loco was the main subject, but and the leading coach was definitely blue/grey

Edited by 62613
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MattR said:

Interesting! I've seen this B&W shot of it, but it's hard to tell what color the lead coach is.

45318.JPG

It's very unlikely to be blue and grey which in the earliest applications were all but matt - and the reflections show that this vehicle certainly wasn't. It can't be wet either since the loco tender side isn't. I would say that it is a maroon-liveried BSK, certainly not a TSO, which would suggest that we are looking at the Manchester portion.

• Like 1