N gauge cars. new from Tomytec

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a couple of new sets of cars from Tomytec....too modern for me but includes a Mk1 Nissan X Trail.

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/Tomytec_287476.html

And

https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/Tomytec_287483.html

Edited by acg5324

The older estate car is a Nissan Gloria which, in a near to identcial form which was also sold as the Datsun/Nissan Cedric. Unfortunately it's the 1983 version which wasn't sold here (the previous versions were). The white people carrier is the recent Serena, but again not sold here; only the first generation was (and it's grown bigger, of course).

Interesting. But as already mentioned, also a little too modern for me.

However, no doubt they will be snapped up quickly as Tomytec N gauge vehicles are good quality, nicely finished and they haven't produced a car set/collection for some time. Plus they are good value and right hand drive vehicles. And presumably even sone of the just Japanese models will be seen here as grey imports.

G

Yes, just a pity they didn't do the first generation Serena as not only were they sold here, they were quite common. And there was a van version.

Five versions produced so far - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Serena

and I love the comment about it by Quentin Willson that "...the Nissan Serena was about as seductive as a skip and as desirable as an old shoe." Perhaps that why they didn't do that version ;-)

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not Tomytec granted, but there seems to be a glut of very basic (and cheap) 1/150 scale lorries, presumably from China, currently available - particularly on Ebay.

G

Thanks for the tip off. I have just picked up two artics and two fixed chassis trucks for just over a fiver the lot delivered.

Going to be a good six weeks before they get here mind but for a fiver I don't mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone taken a close look at the Peco/Modelscene N gauge cars (pack 5184)?

They are pretty basic and plain (and cheap), but are they to 1:148 scale and representative of real cars. I think there is supposed to be a Ford Capri (possibly Mk1), and Audi 100, a Porche and another (although some packs sold only have three cars while others have four). Would it be possible with a bit of work and a re-paint to make them decent enough for a layout?

post-33-0-29514200-1532539953_thumb.jpg

G.

• RMweb Premium

I think the other car is a BMW.

Never had the models, they look like they are made of a rubbery plastic that will probably be a problem trying to glue to it.

The Porsche looks rough especially the rear window. the Mk1 Capri doesn’t look too bad, side windows maybe a tad small?

Some retailers are selling them at bargain prices which works out at less than £1 per car. Might be worth a punt. I'll see if I can pick up a set at the NGS AGM exhibition this coming Saturday.

G

• Like 1

They are in styrene and were part of the Merit range (the blank underneath was where 'merit hobbies' was moulded) though they do tend to have flash round the windows and they're not the crispest of mouldings. Just the three types, Ford Capri, Audi 100 and Porsche 911, they actually appear to be some of the same cars originally done by Wiking (in plastic) and copied by EKO (in metal). At the very least they are a useful supply of round wheels. One of the bodies was the basis for my burnt out Capri on Brigenshaw.

(Pictures to follow)

Edited by BernardTPM

Just the three types, Ford Capri, Audi 100 and Porsche 911, they actually appear to be some of the same cars originally done by Wiking (in plastic) and copied by EKO (in metal).

Hmm, does that mean they are underscale at 1:160?

I'll be interested to see your photos.

G

Here's the pictures. First the three models and 'before and after' undersides of one:

post-1877-0-44298300-1532560871_thumb.jpg

And then the burnt-out Capri:

post-1877-0-12384900-1532560893_thumb.jpg

These are the figures (in mm) for the Merit/Peco models:

model      real      scale

Audi 100            28.2      4399     1:156

Ford Capri         27.6      4280     1:155

Porsche 911      27.5*     4163     1:151

* including over-riders - 26.5 without them. Given the shorter length quoted for the real car it may excluded them. If so, then 1:157

• Like 3

Yes they are 1:60. When I dabbled in N there was only three cars in the pack by Peco. The Capri Porsche 911 and a VW Beetle.

I guess you mean 1:160 otherwise at 1:60 they'd be massively oversize and more appropriate for OO/4mm

1:160 scale would be disappointing but, fingers crossed, perhaps these four car Modelscene packs are different - there certainly doesn't seem to be VW Beetle included. However, I can't see any mention of scale on the packaging.

Edited - while I was posting this, Bernard has provided what seems the definitive size/scale. Thanks

G

Edited by grahame

I guess you mean 1:160 otherwise at 1:60 they'd be massively oversize and more appropriate for OO/4mm

1:160 scale would be disappointing but, fingers crossed, perhaps these four car Modelscene packs are different - there certainly doesn't seem to be VW Beetle included. However, I can't see any mention of scale on the packaging.

Edited - while I was posting this, Bernard has provided what seems the definitive size/scale. Thanks

G

Yes I meant 160!

I am sure there’s some kind of link (official or otherwise) with the Wiking models of the era as they made an identical Porsche 911, Audi 100 and Ford Capri in the 70s to continental 1:160 N gauge.

Eko also made diecast trucks and cars in N gauge in the 70s that looked identical to Wiking but in a different material.

Ps the third car was the Audi not a Beetle. Memory playing tricks on me. That was a proper Wiking model.

Yes I meant 160!

I am sure there’s some kind of link (official or otherwise) with the Wiking models of the era as they made an identical Porsche 911, Audi 100 and Ford Capri in the 70s to continental 1:160 N gauge.

Eko also made diecast trucks and cars in N gauge in the 70s that looked identical to Wiking but in a different material.

I wonder how the Wiking models of the same cars shape up and compare to these Modelscene ones. There does seem some room for improvement; trimming the windows, removing flash and undertaking a decent paint job including picking out details. The size is a big disappointment for me, thou.

Thinking about it there was a VW Beetle produced in N in the last decade or so of the last millennium. I can't remember who made it (but it wasn't Peco or Wiking and was a fairly basic plastic moulding, no glazing and no chassis IIRC) but it was mentioned and pictured in the NGS Journal.

And that emphasizes the problems for British N Gauge. We've been kicking around in the dust for far too long now, being fed a starvation diet of poor quality road vehicles.

G

I don't think so - that's got some paint on it and I seem to recall there was no chassis, with the wheels simply part of the body moulding. The snag again for the IMU one is the tiddly scale of 1:160.

I love the description thou : cheap car, plastic, no turning wheels, no glasses, no perfect models, simply quality for layouts.  :stinker: 

G.

I don't think so - that's got some paint on it and I seem to recall there was no chassis, with the wheels simply part of the body moulding. The snag again for the IMU one is the tiddly scale of 1:160.

I've got a couple of the IMU Minis. They're just 173/4mm long which makes them 1:172 scale  :O

(Luckily I have a cunning plan to use one, at least).

Anybody remember that really cheap range of N scale cars doing the rounds about ten years ago?

One piece black base and wheels unit. Various bright colours (pre coloured plastic unpainted) and no glazing. Varied with an ‘average’ of N scale! Porsches, Ferraris, type one VW van, mini, 2cv etc. Perhaps they were meant for architectural models or cake decorations. Had some when I dabbled with N in 2006-7 but they weren’t great.

Edited: found a picture ....

post-34390-0-92332700-1532683739.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc