This one will also add to the coal bin debate. This is an aerial view of Moreton-in-Marsh taken in 1929. (Oddly, there are several people claiming ownership of the image.) 

It shows coal merchants staithes and sheds beside a bay siding and two possiy dedicated coal sidings. Note the siting and the discoloration of the yard surface.

The straight row of buildings are connected with the terminus of the original horse drawn tramway that came in from the left, crossing the O,W&WR (later GWR) on the level.

The single line that splits near the footbridge and runs behind the dairy is the Shipston on Stour branch.

EPW026880.jpg.d670836ab6d8853047584c1e6df9eee0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

This one will also add to the coal bin debate. This is an aerial view of Moreton-in-Marsh taken in 1929. (Oddly, there are several people claiming ownership of the image.) 

It shows coal merchants staithes and sheds beside a bay siding and two possiy dedicated coal sidings. Note the siting and the discoloration of the yard surface.

The straight row of buildings are connected with the terminus of the original horse drawn tramway that came in from the left, crossing the O,W&WR (later GWR) on the level.

The single line that splits near the footbridge and runs behind the dairy is the Shipston on Stour branch.

EPW026880.jpg.d670836ab6d8853047584c1e6df9eee0.jpg

That's a cracking photo.  Very busy looking too.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

Whilst the goods shed is in a similar style to the one at Hungerford (in Wiltshire) the site arrangement looks all wrong: This place appears to be a terminus with an island platform. Is this another Hungerford or somewhere else?

The coal bins are certainly of interest to the discussion in this thread however. 

My mistake, and my apologies. I have the photo captioned wrongly in my collection. Its actually Uxbridge Vine Street. This view shows the coal bins more clearly. To my eye they look more like a stacking ground however, with partitions of old sleepers erected to keep separate either different coal grades or different coal merchants stocks. Only some of them have rear walls against the siding side. The continuous length of the coal piles and the lack of rear walls suggests that in this location at least, coal was shovelled out of wagons directly into storage piles and was then bagged up from the piles, rather than bagging up from the wagon. There are gaps in the coal heaps as well to suggest that both methods were in use.

But certainly we have sufficient records of limitless variations on where we modellers can place our coal bins, or stacking grounds.

uxbrige_vine(1933)street.jpg.cbb7b89b664c48e0ca90636a5ce3a44e.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Lovely little model.  Not being picky, but should the oval rear windows be blacked out or something like that?

They are windows, but who's to say what the owner did to prevent prying eyes?

Ah! Jonathan beat me to it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

There is no provision on the rear for a number plate, I did put a square number plate transfer on the rear door but it just didn’t look right

so I’ve knocked something up out of styrene to glue to the underside. No doubt wrong but I don’t care

19BBAEBC-D0AF-4FA8-80B9-B2139EDD351E.jpeg.465263c729ed5b0017662333b7a89045.jpeg

You've got it spot on, Chris. Check via Jonathan's link above

• Thanks 1

Rear number plate is spot on for an Austin Seven van. Oval windows were fashionable at the time, often seen on Ford or Morris vans too. Many had no windows at all, just a three or four pressed louvres similar to the bonnet sides on sports cars but placed horizontally

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve got another one to build, a Morris van

EB5AF2CD-0777-4BBA-8462-291C62F694C2.jpeg.5ba12d06eeb6a36722dd911ca0888642.jpeg

Took some sanding to get the body to sit nicely on the chassis, I still need to remove the flash. I’m considering filing out the windows on this one but I don’t want to mess it up

1203FDDA-85C9-4BF1-9E88-6BC5CF4EC249.jpeg.3c40b5d5cbb86eb43ae6d74ababd2ea8.jpeg

I’ve also ordered a 1930’s Ford flatbed

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

On 03/07/2021 at 18:23, Rowsley17D said:

That does look a bit rough but I'm sure you'll make a lady of it.

I'm certain of that too. You need to lose the seam on the roof. Most had canvas rooves over timber slats grey black like railway wagons.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I’m certain of that too. You need to lose the seam on the roof.

Thanks

The other one had a seam on the roof just worse than that, they do take some cleaning up but being white metal it’s not too difficult

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

That does look a bit rough but I'm sure you'll make a lady of it.

Thanks Jonathan

as roughness goes it’s not much different than the other one, if anything the other one was a little worse

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I use a Stanley blade edge on at ninety degrees and scrape off as much as I can, it creates a lot less nasty dust.

I use a combination of a craft knife and sanding sticks

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that you've used two primers. Did you consider it necessary to use the Vallejo as well as the Halfords one?

Splendid work, Chris, whatever your answer. The results you get with your transfers is inspiring, and I will be needing to use something like that for some number plates soon. Sort of square and small enough to go on a front wing - you know the sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Not posted much this week because quite frankly I’ve not done much worth showing  :rolleyes:

442EEC1A-1E87-4186-8D6D-CDE9E7AEA8A4.jpeg.5ac70a17d4428482f4b1ab9b42f7f344.jpeg

I’ve not varnished over the transfer yet

That is bloody brilliant.

Al.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Interesting that you've used two primers. Did you consider it necessary to use the Vallejo as well as the Halfords one?

To be honest I wasn’t sure if you could paint directly on to acid etch primer so I didn’t think a coat of the Vallejo primer would hurt

Had to be careful to to apply too mainly coats otherwise I might have ended up with a O gauge van :lol:

36 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Splendid work, Chris, whatever your answer. The results you get with your transfers is inspiring, and I will be needing to use something like that for some number plates soon. Sort of square and small enough to go on a front wing - you know the sort of thing.

Thank you, I did the drawing in AutoCAD at work during my (cough!) lunch break and printed it on the company laser jet (cough!) during my lunch break

The transfer paper is quite good, delicate though. The only problem is I can’t print white but black, blue and red print clear enough

I use Modelmasters bus* number plate transfers (*sorry @MrWolf at least I’m not putting them on buses) they do quite a few different ones and they have both the rectangular and square plates

46E7E457-76BC-4931-859B-26D6682788A9.jpeg.61bc3079b31350a335bf1de67300a07a.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

That is bloody brilliant.

Al.

Thanks Al, appreciated 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2