• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Your yard seems blest with workers, which reminds me of the old joke: Q. How many work for this firm? A. About half of them! Those Hardy's figures look great, I must get me-self some.

I does appear quite well populated :blush: not overpopulated I hope?

I felt that having made such a mess with the ash justified the need for a clean up crew :lol:

I wasn’t sure if adding the chap with the brush was too much

I was inspired by this by @Graham_Muz :

https://grahammuz.com/tag/ash-pit-gang/ I haven't asked for permission to attach the photo (hence the web link)

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I does appear quite well populated :blush: not overpopulated I hope?

I felt that having made such a mess with the ash justified the need for a clean up crew :lol:

I wasn’t sure if adding the chap with the brush was too much

You could always move him to the platform from time to time. As you know, my layout is loosely based on the old Buxton Midland station and loco shed but there is rarely anybody to be seen in the 1930s photos, that I know, of the shed area. Perhaps the men scarpered when they saw someone with a box brownie approaching. 

• RMweb Gold

“You do know you can buy ready made fencing don’t you?” :huh:

9516C7C7-57A9-4F73-B9BC-4F2A240D0309.jpeg.f2d0880831072218c3e03a5f1cfb40e4.jpeg

I bought some Peco flexible fencing and I wasn’t that impressed with it so I’m making my own out of styrene strips

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

“You do know you can buy ready made fencing don’t you?” :huh:

9516C7C7-57A9-4F73-B9BC-4F2A240D0309.jpeg.f2d0880831072218c3e03a5f1cfb40e4.jpeg

I bought some Peco flexible fencing and I wasn’t that impressed with it so I’m making my own out of styrene strips

The only way is to go 'free-hand'!  I spent many an hour a couple of years ago building fences, they need to be built around the landscape rather than in fixed panels, mine is of course NER design but I'm sure there will be GWR drawings out there somewhere.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

The only way is to go 'free-hand'!  I spent many an hour a couple of years ago building fences, they need to be built around the landscape rather than in fixed panels, mine is of course NER design but I'm sure there will be GWR drawings out there somewhere.

My thoughts were the land that is being fenced off doesn't belong to the railway so the style/type of fence doesn't have to conform to any particular style favored by the GWR other than planks of wood nailed to posts 

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

My thoughts were the land that is being fenced off doesn't belong to the railway so the style/type of fence doesn't have to conform to any particular style favored by the GWR other than planks of wood nailed to posts 

It’s the Railway that has the legal duty to keep its land fenced from others, not vice versa, so I’ve always known fences to be Railway style and responsibility.

Paul.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

If the fence is going there then it's highly likely the railway would have built it as they were required to fence off the railway.

Paul got there before me.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

It’s the Railway that has the legal duty to keep its land fenced from others, not vice versa, so I’ve always known fences to be Railway style and responsibility.

Paul.

15 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

If the fence is going there then it's highly likely the railway would have built it as they were required to fence off the railway.

Paul got there before me.

Fortunately I've not made any more so what I've done can go in the bin without me loosing any sleep over it

I suppose I'll have to go down the post and wire route

C'est la Vie

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

I've done a little more digging but unfortunately all I can find is the post and wire fencing on the GWR

To be honest I didn't really want to use post and wire fencing but I suppose it is what it is 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I've done a little more digging but unfortunately all I can find is the post and wire fencing on the GWR

To be honest I didn't really want to use post and wire fencing but I suppose it is what it is 

I know very little about the GWR, but I seem to recall photos do seem to all have post and wire fencing, You lot are lucky though, there's so much available...

https://peco-uk.com/collections/ratio/products/gwr-lineside-fencing

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

There are some modellers who use wire & post fencing, but don't actually add the wire.

You could make it a cameo scene where the wire is being replaced, may be a few posts as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

There are some modellers who use wire & post fencing, but don't actually add the wire.

You could make it a cameo scene where the wire is being replaced, may be a few posts as well.

Been there, done that... to get over a board joint.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17155-greyscroft-mine-cleveland-ironstone-in-1955-em-gauge/&do=findComment&comment=2290692

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Excellent work!

I'm going to have a look at the post and wire fencing, I'll probably do it wrong (or at least differently to any prototype).......but after all it's only me that is going to be playing with operating it and it's never going to be on an exhibition stand

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
On 19/11/2019 at 19:07, Alister_G said:

Thanks Al

After looking at your fencing masterpiece I ordered a set of posts from scale model scenery

They arrived today but unfortunately I haven’t got enough wire so I’ve just done a quick mock-up to see if I like it and to gauge other’s reaction

C7AEA489-2618-48CC-8F1A-40DDD66DE740.jpeg.084110e3f998c9b55ee7030cf332cef3.jpeg

8737F077-CE62-43BC-BA5B-5EB89330F858.jpeg.75ac9aaa5f5b6551749ce8959a7b0c03.jpeg

I’ve just blasted it with primer for now

I’m unable to insert the lowest two wires due to the over grown grass :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2