• RMweb Gold

I think the Plastikard strips look much better than the nailed planks, Chris. After all what are the nails going in? Are you going to try putting some grain effect with sandpaper or a file? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I think the Plastikard strips look much better than the nailed planks, Chris. After all what are the nails going in? Are you going to try putting some grain effect with sandpaper or a file? 

I’ve attempted to do a grain effect  with just paint

EA8A6EEA-0E7F-4734-8F8C-88B0FB57D7E1.jpeg.9b2f16e6cf283bbc6ef582ef7d8e0f5e.jpeg

Just experimenting

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6

59 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

No need to apologise for the bad language, it comes under the classification of "Task appropriate profanity". It's those words of power we learn from our fathers very early on like when the starter jams again on his Hillman Minx. Go back a few centuries and one of your ancestors will be cursing the pack horse that stops in the middle of a toll bridge or the flint axe whose head keeps coming off.

My bad language comes under a similar classification: PAT.  Profanity Appropriate to Task!

Roja

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Looking good, signals are something that I will need to tackle on my layout soon and frankly I have no idea what to place where. I have a nasty feeling that I will be digging a hole in the platform too. But this is giving me ideas and construction details.

Stick a post in the signalling subforum with your track plan and details (which company etc) - there's quite a few experts (and a few enthusiastic amateurs like myself) who look in there and can often help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

just a thought, as it's partly buried, would the black on the post be 3' (or however the GW measured it) above the boards? 

I’ve avoided asking that question because it crossed my mind too, what I’ve done is no doubt incorrect

Changing it now would be a real ball ache :unsure: 

• RMweb Gold

Well the boards are painted but I’m a bit apprehensive in gluing them in place

A3AA8F52-597B-459C-9D83-49F6854BE331.jpeg.d554f408581aadd4bb441a0e80a12164.jpeg

Knowing my luck once glued in place it will be pointed out that the black on the post should be higher as @Worsdell forever has also questioned

Any help/advice prior to gluing would be appreciated

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

I didn't want to bring you down with that one, but the GW had a pretty much set in stone way of doing things with signals and I recall reading somewhere that the black paint was always x distance from the visible bottom of the signal post.

Thanks everyone who has pointed me in the right direction about the signals on my layout. I had better take some pictures of my track plan.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I didn't want to bring you down with that one, but the GW had a pretty much set in stone way of doing things with signals and I recall reading somewhere that the black paint was always x distance from the visible bottom of the signal post.

Thanks everyone who has pointed me in the right direction about the signals on my layout. I had better take some pictures of my track plan.

You and @Rowsley17D are such trouble makers :jester:

1AAD7E32-4F5B-40F5-9D83-72E1E5E632A8.jpeg.615403b8b9bacb7a9ce33584187892cd.jpeg

Not precisely the height it should be no doubt but better than nowt, it scales roughly 3ft from the highest point

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Do you have to stick the wood down ?   Could you use small magnets underneath with metal plates to hold things together ?

That’s great idea but I don’t have anything small enough to hand unfortunately.

Even glued in place the whole assembly can be removed from the platform (in theory) the planks will be glued to the removable part only and the whole assembly will be held in place from under the baseboard with the nut as supplied as normal

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I’m terrible at waiting for paint to cure but I couldn’t help myself

51D768E3-D5CE-4BE3-A30B-0A2CC087FF42.jpeg.79c13974eaf11ae460dac520ee74553a.jpeg

Just placed on at the moment, I’m glad I went with the individual ‘planks’ in the end

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

signals are something that I will need to tackle on my layout soon and frankly I have no idea what to place where.

Drop me a PM or put something on my thread when you start if you want.  I’m supposed to know where they go! (and I know who can give good advice on here).

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Feasible?

Looks pretty good to me.  The weight is perhaps slightly thick to my eyes (sorry, cos I know what your reaction will be!). 

Paul.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, being a platform mounted post the counter weight would probably have been higher up so that it didn't hit any member of the when the signal operated. There were 'elf and safety considerations even then.

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Looks pretty good to me.  The weight is perhaps slightly thick to my eyes (sorry, cos I know what your reaction will be!). 

Paul.

I don’t mind a bit of constructive criticism

I've thinned it down a few kgs and drilled a countersink similar to the photo

7238180C-4FC9-405C-9AF9-D26BF8F3A5BB.jpeg.646c7bfea655d2e6b321ecaad1967d74.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Chris, being a platform mounted post the counter weight would probably have been higher up so that it didn't hit any member of the when the signal operated. There were 'elf and safety considerations even then.

Warren staff are issued with cricket boxes to protect members :jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

Would it be prototypical to take the platform fencing across the top of the ramp at 90 degrees to the rails, then turn it down alongside the signal and down the ramp, leaving just enough footwalk for staff to get down the ramp.? You can then position the GWR Thou shalt not cross the line or else sign at the corner of said fence. Might, if there's room, save your butchering the signal further and protect the scale Joe Stupid from swinging balance weights.

Just my $0.02

Impressed with your miniature balance weight, the fulcrum even looks like an iron casting. OCD at its finest!

Nah, if you were truly OCD, you'd be looking at modelling the 3/4" Whitworth pinch bolt that holds / adjusts the weight on the arm....:crazy_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ll trim it once the glue has fully cured (a normal person would leave it overnight)

20A5F4EA-7D10-428C-B0FB-911B4CA7784E.jpeg.9c3f6bc70509b29389c2057c58a2b8e8.jpeg

I need to give it a blast of Matt varnish as the wash I’ve used has a bit of a sheen to it

but overall I’m quite pleased

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1