Scotrail Spotrail MK2s

So after seeing the Class 68s pulling the Fife Circle trains and getting a hold of the beautiful Dapol Class 68, I decided to try my hand at modifying my first RTR coaches. Although I've never modified any of my railway rolling stock before, I have been building model kits for years so I have a fairly good idea of how I'll tackle this!

I got a hold of 2 Hornby Railroad Mk2E TSOs and a Hornby Mk2E BSO with lighting from Hatton's, I'll be tackling the Railroad models first, to get a bit of practice before I start trying to repaint a more detailed model!

I ordered a 3 pack of Scotrail Mk2 coach decals from Rainbow Railways, however then realised that the pack was for 3 TSOs and I have a BSO to tackle! A quick order from Railtec Transfers soon rectified that. I also sourced paint from Rainbow Railways, who sell their own mix for Scotrail Spotrail blue.

post-30716-0-35206700-1531519640_thumb.jpg

I removed the body from the coach and set about removing the windows, they mostly came off OK, the backing section around one of the door windows did crack a bit, but it won't be visible when it's all back together.

post-30716-0-22756400-1531519757_thumb.jpg

post-30716-0-60302200-1531519772_thumb.jpg

I gave the body a rub down with fine grade wet and try in preparation for a primer coat, for which I'll be using Halford's rattle can grey primer.

post-30716-0-11093800-1531519889_thumb.jpg

More pictures to come once the primer has dried!

• Like 3

Hey Sean!

Looking nice so far! I really want to see one of the Fife Circle sets in real life, even though I live in Edinburgh!!! :O (School gets in the way).BTW in Rail Express Modeller 137 Andy Clayton modified and repainted a Hornby MK2e FO into BR Scotrail colours and getting rid of the big chassis problem using a razor saw. I think this is worth a mention!!

Keep up the good work! :good:

Jules

Hey Sean!

Looking nice so far! I really want to see one of the Fife Circle sets in real life, even though I live in Edinburgh!!! :O (School gets in the way).BTW in Rail Express Modeller 137 Andy Clayton modified and repainted a Hornby MK2e FO into BR Scotrail colours and getting rid of the big chassis problem using a razor saw. I think this is worth a mention!!

Keep up the good work! :good:

Jules

Thanks Jules! You need to go and get a look at these things in real life, they are really smart especially when it's one of the 2 Scotrail branded 68s hauling it. I tend to see it around the Falkirk area and it's great to see a loco hauled passenger train when about 99% of Scottish passenger services are EMUs or DMUs!

I'll see if I can have a look at Andy's Mk2E conversion, although I don't think I'm brave enough to take a razor saw to anything yet! I think for now I'll settle for getting the paint job right, although I plan to expand my conversion skills as I go along. I'll maybe get some passengers and lighting in it too!

Not too much progress, the primer coat has taken nicely though so next stage is the blue.

post-30716-0-56859600-1531651255_thumb.jpg

post-30716-0-92814700-1531651274_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wee bit of progress tonight, although it was a messy business!!

Got the Saltire Blue painted on, my first time spraying with enamel (this colour was only available in enamel) and first time using the airbrush in quite a few months. Needless to say it got a bit fraught, but it hasn't come out too bad in the end. The finish is a little spotted looking, although I think that may be in part to do with how course the Halford's primer is. It's great for providing a base layer, but it can be a bit gritty, perhaps I should have gave it a rub with some fine wet and dry before putting on the blue... no matter, we'll see how it goes from here. A few coats of gloss varnish should hopefully smooth it all out before I get onto the decals.

post-30716-0-10101100-1531865982_thumb.jpg

The blue itself is very dark, and has quite a purple tinge to it. However, comparing it to photos of the real thing, the Dapol Class 68 and the little Oxford Rail Scotrail Transit van, I can confirm that it's pretty much spot on. The Light blue and white spots do quite a job of hiding how dark the base colour really is. I did however forget to spray the doors first, which are supposed to be some form of silver. However, again looking at photos and the same colour scheme on the EMUs I regularly travel on, it's more a light grey than a silver. I have some Tamiya Sky grey which I used on the underside of a later mark Spitfire, I'll give that a test and see how it goes although I feel it will probably need lightened a bit.

(Apologies for the terrible quality picture!!)

• Like 2

Yet more progress tonight, got the doors masked off and sprayed Tamiya Sky Grey with a bit of white thrown in to lighten, it looks not too bad to my eye and fortunately it seems to have gone on over the enamel okay...

post-30716-0-82566700-1531949197_thumb.jpg

post-30716-0-02525600-1531949216_thumb.jpg

And a quick comparison next to the Dapol Class 68. The colour looks pretty close! Should look better with all decals on and given a tone down with a satin/matt coat.

post-30716-0-14802500-1531949328_thumb.jpg

A bit more masking later and the roof and ends were painted up. I initially tried to use Tamiya black for this but for some reason it really wasn't happy, so I reluctantly went for the Halford's black rattle can... it looks to have paid off though! Very happy with how it looks now. Some work has been done to the bogies too so a bit more touching up and they should be ready soon.

post-30716-0-24246000-1531949462_thumb.jpg

post-30716-0-43109600-1531949501_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Excellent stuff. After years of ignoring the modern scene, because it seemed no sooner than I had got a model , it was obsolete, the purchase of an 68 reignited my interest. I've been respraying Mk4s into Virgin (only for it to turn into LNER) but this looks like a useful follow on project to give my DRS 68 something to pull . Thanks for the info on Decals etc

Edited by Legend

Excellent stuff. After years of ignoring the modern scene, because it seemed no sooner than I had got a model , it was obsolete, the purchase of an 86 reignited my interest. I've been respraying Mk4s into Virgin (only for it to turn into LNER) but this looks like a useful follow on project to give my DRS 68 something to pull . Thanks for the info on Decals etc

Certainly if you're looking for decals for modern rolling stock then Railtec is the place to look. The 68 looks good in the DRS livery, it would suit pulling either Scotrail or DRS liveried Mk2s.

It's been a bit of a case of one step forward, two steps backwards over the past couple of days. I tried brush painting the orange cantrail stripe as the part on the coach is raised and I figured this would be easy enough to paint... I was wrong! After being unhappy with the result, I decided to mask it off and repaint the black for another go... and ended up pulling up some of the blue with masking tape! After some choice words and a couple of days trying to rectifiy this, I masked it all off again and decided to try and spray the orange line instead. It was a lot of masking work and the Humbrol acrylic orange paint was absolutely terrible to spray (the gun clogged after a few minutes), but the end result looks none too bad!

post-30716-0-28298000-1532297572_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

May I suggest you look into fitting some Extreme Etchings/Shawplan Laserglazing.

Makes a whole world of difference to the look of the coach once fitted, easy to use, and you can then throw the old glazing into the bin. Shawplan regularly tour the exhibition circuit, but Brian does have a website where you can order stuff from.

cheers

Andy

Thanks all. Andy, thanks for the info on the Laserglazing. I assume the sets for the Hornby Mk2Ds would fit? The only obvious difference I see between the D and the E is the position of the blanked out white toilet window (both on one side on the D, alternating sides on the E).

Funny that glazing should come up actually, as I had devised a plan for the current glazing. As it is all one section and I intend to light the coach and fit passengers, I thought that it would be as well painting the interior of the coach whilst I was doing everything else. as the glazing is made up of one big panel, I planned to paint this part an appropriate grey (masking the windows of course!). If I go for the Shawplan windows then of course I'll need to look at painting the actual interior walls of the coach, but in the meantime I'll see how this looks. This is it all masked off to give an idea of what will be painted.

post-30716-0-28418400-1532556359_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's been a few days but there has been some good progress. I brushed on Humbrol Clear to give the decals a smooth gloss coat to adhere to. There was nearly a disaster with this as it looked like some of it was going to go milky, but it dried okay in the end. I was going to airbrush it but from experience it does brush very well and I've seen some comments saying that even with several coats spraying it doesn't give as smooth a coat as brush painting. Either way, it felt nice and smooth and tonight I applied most of the decals to one side of the carriage.

post-30716-0-73858300-1532989531_thumb.jpg

The Rainbow Railways transfers are nice to work with, quite a bit thinner and more delicate than I was expecting, but strong enough that there were no breakages. I did have to remove a small bit of detail at each end (for hanging a lamp on, I think?) to allow the carriage info plate to fit. I'm not sure if the decal was overscale or the detail was in the wrong place, but I'll make a replacement and reposition it.

post-30716-0-37373700-1532989561_thumb.jpg

post-30716-0-01920100-1532989577_thumb.jpg

I also sprayed the interior seating grey, I'm not sure if this will be slightly too dark or if will be close enough? Any opinions would be appreciated, I haven't seen the interior of the real Mk2s.

post-30716-0-46662900-1532989668_thumb.jpg

post-30716-0-26168300-1532989681_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sean!

Looking nice so far! I really want to see one of the Fife Circle sets in real life, even though I live in Edinburgh!!! :O

Jules

I saw one of these sets this morning (or one very like it) heading past my work carpark in sighthill heading towards Edinburgh park. have to say, I much prefer to see a loco hauled train rather than one of the common-as-muck sprinters.

Graeme

Nice work there Sean. Most of the mk2s within the ScotRail rakes are formed of ex Virgin coaches, although some are also the ex Arriva Trains Wales "WAG Express" vehicles as well. I cant remember if there are any former Anglia or First Great Western Mk2s within these two rakes but I can check for you next week. 

In the meantime, here are two interior shots I have - The first picture just about shows the ATW moquette (which is also co-incidentally now found in some of the Haymarket 8 158s!) while the second is the former Virgin Trains interior. Some still even have the former VWC and VXC route maps in them!   

post-7515-0-45117000-1533853228_thumb.jpg

post-7515-0-14584600-1533853238_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I definitely agree Graeme, loco hauled trains are just that bit more interesting! Particularly as they really are quite a rarity, certainly up north now as most trains are EMUs or DMUs. Loco hauled trains are proper trains.

Great work on your own set of Scotrail Mk2s Scott, they're a good reference for my own. Good work on the Caley Sleeper coaches too.

Those interior photos of Mk2s are a good help, I've never actually been inside a Mk2 to my knowledge so the interior is a bit of a mystery to me! I know those aren't the Scotrail ones but I only intend my interior to be a rough approximation.

Progress on the coaches has stalled a bit both due to me being busy and also due to the fact that I didn't have the satin varnish I thought I had. Fortunately some arrived in the post yesterday so I'll be giving that a go when I get the chance and that should be the coach bodywork completed, with just the interior and chassis/bogies to finish touching up.

Thanks all. Andy, thanks for the info on the Laserglazing. I assume the sets for the Hornby Mk2Ds would fit? The only obvious difference I see between the D and the E is the position of the blanked out white toilet window (both on one side on the D, alternating sides on the E).

Funny that glazing should come up actually, as I had devised a plan for the current glazing. As it is all one section and I intend to light the coach and fit passengers, I thought that it would be as well painting the interior of the coach whilst I was doing everything else. as the glazing is made up of one big panel, I planned to paint this part an appropriate grey (masking the windows of course!). If I go for the Shawplan windows then of course I'll need to look at painting the actual interior walls of the coach, but in the meantime I'll see how this looks. This is it all masked off to give an idea of what will be painted.

attachicon.gif20180724_220626.jpg

Great work on the coaches Sean. I'd like to see how the English Electric Lightning turns out too. I worked on them for a while in the 80s. A fine interceptor.

Just made it back from a very fine week up in the Lothians and Highlands. The ScotRail Mk2s still remain mostly formed of these same vehicles as my pictures above (no changes were made by Riviera to their interiors so still retain their Virgin & ATW insides!) bar one ex FGW Mk2 BSO, notable for having a DDA fitted toilet in it and refurbished into the current ScotRail interior. Oddly one set was running around with 2 BSOs in it as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just made it back from a very fine week up in the Lothians and Highlands. The ScotRail Mk2s still remain mostly formed of these same vehicles as my pictures above (no changes were made by Riviera to their interiors so still retain their Virgin & ATW insides!) bar one ex FGW Mk2 BSO, notable for having a DDA fitted toilet in it and refurbished into the current ScotRail interior. Oddly one set was running around with 2 BSOs in it as well. 

I really must take a trip on the real thing myself at some point! I'm surprised that only one BSO had the Scotrail interior, Scotrail have been pretty religious on refurbing all the EMUs on my line both inside and out! Thanks for that info though, I'll see if I can find a blue that roughly matches the Virgin/ATW seats.

Great work on the coaches Sean. I'd like to see how the English Electric Lightning turns out too. I worked on them for a while in the 80s. A fine interceptor.

Thanks! The Lightning is one of, if not my favourite aircraft, it just looks so purposeful. I'm just disappointed that I never have and sadly probably never will see one in the air. I'll include a picture of the progress on it in my next coach update.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So I don't know whether to be happy or annoyed at Hornby's announcement today of their own Scotrail Mk2fs being released this year! Ultimately I'll still finish the ones I have, but I'll probably get a couple of the Hornby ones too...

Also, a full HST set in Scotrail Inter-7-City colours is a must!!!

• Like 1

So I don't know whether to be happy or annoyed at Hornby's announcement today of their own Scotrail Mk2fs being released this year! Ultimately I'll still finish the ones I have, but I'll probably get a couple of the Hornby ones too...

Also, a full HST set in Scotrail Inter-7-City colours is a must!!!

I know what you mean but I take satisfaction from knowing I did mines myself! :sungum:  :laugh:

• Like 2