Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Surely the result of asking two apprentices to load the same wagon...

911637245_Screenshot2021-12-10at12_12_34.png.0f64990f2f51202de38f1894c5688318.png

4 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I hadn't realised that there were such vigorous attempts to go the American route and introduce bogie freight vehicles by so many different British companies. It does seem a lost cause given the craft-shop style nature of so much British industry and bigger facilities like docks and major goods sheds with their turntables wedded to the 4-wheel wagon and the short journeys compared to the USA. The UK didn't see mass bogie freight traffic until well after the steam era but a what if scenario where that was not the case would make for an interesting layout.

http://www.lyrs.org.uk/images/uploads/D59_upper_web_version.jpg

https://www.g1mra.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/LYR-bogie-Van.pdf

http://www.railway-models-and-art.co.uk/blog/?cat=64

Getting back to livery, has anyone got colour photos of model D.3 vans or other L&Y goods vehicles to give me more info? I am tempted right now to weather directly on top of the Halfords undercoat which seems as good a mid-grey as any other.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Getting back to livery, has anyone got colour photos of model D.3 vans or other L&Y goods vehicles to give me more info? I am tempted right now to weather directly on top of the Halfords undercoat which seems as good a mid-grey as any other.

That sounds as good a plan as any other Martin.  'Mid grey' as applied to goods wagons is something that at the end of it has to come down to a darn good guess.  A nicely done weathering job can cover a multitude of sins.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick observation on Halfords grey primer. I have used it a lot on my models, often as the finished colour, and have noticed that the shade can vary from can to can. I thought at first it was down to poor shaking on my part but that does not seem to be the case as it was from can to can rather than one use to the next. Not massive differences but enough to notice. With weathering lightly afterwards my opinion is that this is an asset rather than a problem, giving subtle differences to the cleanliness or otherwise of the vehicle.

Phil T. 

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 10/12/2021 at 12:12, Corbs said:

Surely the result of asking two apprentices to load the same wagon...

911637245_Screenshot2021-12-10at12_12_34.png.0f64990f2f51202de38f1894c5688318.png

The L&Y was a very far-thinking line. They had long wheelbase wagons as standard. They had continuous brakes very early with well built advanced freight wagons.
The beast in the photo is vac fitted.
Chris.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Thanks Chris. More and more I'm finding the concept of a pre-grouping railway company that was forward thinking and built bogie fitted freight cars as standard to be a quite attractive modelling proposition.

It existed:

fAw7Y5LrgRm5oRnxh66IJ02tcw4dyCzw05PvObyC

• Like 1

Motip acrylic white. It was an e-Bay buy so it could be that. I only use it on passenger vehicles and locos to ensure a bright colour. On freight I always use grey as a dull finish is better. I also used this primer on the 4 Victorian 4-wheel coaches I'm doing so we'll see how that works out, though I will brush-paint those.

It could also be the 3D print residue. I tried to scrub/wash off all the powder from the model with an old toothbrush but it was so fragile I couldn't apply much pressure.

Dsc07436.jpg.af010e7b5d19712a7e3b0e545f7cbb3c.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I gave up with Railmatch and Precision spray cans as they clogged up/provided varied amounts of paint etc (and some never seemed to dry).

I try to make use of Halfords and Hycote rattle cans.. the primers are good, the colours stick.. so happy days!  

Hycote Paints

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

You can fit other manufacturer's nozzles to Railmatch cans, and get much better results, I am told.

(The late John Coulter tried this and was more than a little enthusiastic about the improved performance.)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Agreed Railmatch rattle cans rubbish and should be banned from general sale.

Out of interest what are people using for mat varnish rattle cans now that testers has stopped being imported?

I use Tamiya Matt Clear TS-80, run under the hot tap for about 30 seconds to a minute before spraying.

• Informative/Useful 3

I did once manage to convince someone that I had defrosted a packet of steak by sliding it under the dog whilst he was asleep.

I told him that I knew when it was defrosted because the dog could then smell it and got up to search his bed for the steaky smell...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I did once manage to convince someone that I had defrosted a packet of steak by sliding it under the dog whilst he was asleep.

I told him that I knew when it was defrosted because the dog could then smell it and got up to search his bed for the steaky smell...

When asked to prove this, did you say that the dog had eaten the evidence?

• Funny 4