• RMweb Gold

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a layout in possession of a good track layout, must be in want of coal wagons."

- Jayne Austin-Morris

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

The Duke of Wellington is famously quoted on the evening of his victory of Waterloo as saying:

That quotation can't be right, because Waterloo has only ever been a passenger station; it has never had a coal yard.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

That quotation can't be right, because Waterloo has only ever been a passenger station; it has never had a coal yard.

No, but it did have a coal fired power station, an M7 famously came to grief there after falling down the goods lift to the W&C...

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

He was thinking of Aberdeen Waterloo goods station, from which sea coal was distributed throughout NE Scotland.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

18 minutes ago, Nick C said:

No, but it did have a coal fired power station, an M7 famously came to grief there after falling down the goods lift to the W&C...

It did, I've been in where it isn't any more many times, and helped oversee a project to convert it into a substation, and, many years before, participated in the operation of the Armstrong Lift.

• Like 1

If only.

One of the sins that I feel the need to work-off is my failure to have visited Cragside, it being a sort of votive site for people who are interested in the history of electrical engineering.

Mind you, when I last checked, the NT were busily changing the emphasis of the "offering" at Cragside, gently away from the history of technology  (which, TBH, they still seem to have a cultural hang-up about), in the direction of art (which, TBH, I still seem to have a cultural hang-up about).

Anyway, covid will presumably back-off far enough at some point to make a trip feasible.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

One of the sins that I feel the need to work-off is my failure to have visited Cragside, it being a sort of votive site for people who are interested in the history of electrical engineering.

Mind you, when I last checked, the NT were busily changing the emphasis of the "offering" at Cragside, gently away from the history of technology  (which, TBH, they still seem to have a cultural hang-up about), in the direction of art (which, TBH, I still seem to have a cultural hang-up about).

It was the grounds I enjoyed most! 

It was the interiors I enjoyed most. I'm a sucker for a good dose of the Gothic with lashings of dark wood panelling thrown in. It really is a splendid place. Its been a couple of decades since I went but there was a goodly amount of signage and notice boards about the technology there back then.

End door hinges, hinge guides and strengtheners replaced, some interior ironwork added and painted, interiors painted and weathered. Now just the exteriors to do. Trying some variations of interior wood colour on these as well, e.g. very grey top left and yellowish/newish bottom right.

Dsc06607.jpg.e2c85fc9af6d3f504e1e63012e975413.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

I have to say that it's the first time I've seen a wagon for a 'Hay & Coal Merchant'!

Jim

I was thinking the same thing Jim.

26 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

One presumes the hay wasn't carried by rail!

I know it was done on the GER.  Pile it all up to the limit of the loading gauge and cover it up with three or so well tied down tarpaulins/wagon sheets.

• Agree 1

The GWR had provender wagons as well all despatched from their centralised horse feed depot at Didcot. But that was because they were a huge company with all manner of centralisation. I don't see much use for such wagons by a private owner since horse feed can be grown almost anywhere and is cheap to transport locally. My guess is the mention of hay on the wagon is just a bit of canny advertising to show what other goods the company can supply.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

I have to say that it's the first time I've seen a wagon for a 'Hay & Coal Merchant'!

Jim

In Keith Montague's Gloucester book:

• Coal & Forage Contractor
  • Timber, Coal, Culm, Lime and General Merchants
  • Coal & Corn Merchant
  • Hay, Chaff & Coal Merchant
  • Coal, Corn & Lime Merchants
  • Coal, Lime & Manure Merchant

... so not that unusual for a coal merchant to have portfolio of commodities he traded in advertised on his wagon, though non-minerals are rarer than the common Coal & Lime.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Most of the GER's goods traffic was agricultural produce Martin so hay was a regular traffic.  I did used to have some photos somewhere of wagons loaded with hay being unloaded at a rural location in GER territory, but I can't find them now. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I should have added my belief that although merchants may have advertised all their activities on the sides of their wagons, the wagons themselves were for the conveyance of coal and coke, or lime if they had specialized lime wagons. Hay would have been conveyed in railway company wagons - as I anticipate @Annie's GE photos would demonstrate.

49 minutes ago, Annie said:

I know it was done on the GER.  Pile it all up to the limit of the loading gauge and cover it up with three or so well tied down tarpaulins/wagon sheets.

Done on many companies which had a large amount of agricultural traffic.  Not all farmers were able to grow enough hay to provide sufficient winter feed for their livestock.  It's still the case that hay (and straw) are carried round the country.  There also was (and is) the need for hay and straw for feeding/bedding horses.

Jim

• Agree 2