00 wagon storage

I am after plastic boxes of some kind, preferably see-through to some extent, which are the right size and shape to accomodate up to perhaps a dozen ordinary RTR 4-wheel wagons in a single layer. But alas, my Google-fu seems to be weak, for I have not yet managed to locate such a thing.

Does such a box exist, and if so, what is it and where do I get it?

• RMweb Gold

I've got some lidded compartment trays that hold a dozen coal/mineral wagons very nicely with some 6mm foam lining added, though vans are too big to fit.

I got them through Amazon a couple of years back and the maker's name is Hunersdorff. IIRC they were about a tenner a throw. Current equivalent (not identical to mine) seems to be Ref: 608200.

Ages ago, Squires used to sell something similar with ten compartments that would hold vans (Italian-made I think) but I haven't seen any of those for a long time.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I estimate about 18-20 in one of the 4l ones. I've just taken deliver of several after seeing them linked in the Bargains thread. The are of a very similar width/length (A4 sheet)  to an existing box I have which currently has 16 wagons in and room for more.

• RMweb Gold

For the Summat Colliery wagons I have used a laptop cooler box, turned inside out then cut the bottom sections of the Bachmann internal clear plastic packaging out and UHU'd then to the base. A bit of foam on the inside of the lid keeps them secure. Best thing is the weathering on the sides etc never gets touched when in transit.

P1180829.JPG.77fa1a97474ef3386189f3345b1a081b.JPG

P1180830.JPG.40ec1467756053d35f83d8750e876fbc.JPG

This has served me for many years out on the road with Summat Colliery

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 12

Thank you gentlemen. 6 x 4 litre boxes on order. Now wondering if this means I can get away with accumulating more stock ...

Of course! There's no such thing as "Too many trains"....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A4 box files work well, if you get the stronger type. Deep enough for two levels of 4mm wagons. Failing that, at the Warley show I picked up a couple of their rolling stock boxes. Very versatile.

• RMweb Premium

I bought one from a trader at a show. Can’t remember the name but I imagine someone can offer suggestions.

It’s very good, takes the form of a Really Useful box with foam plastic inserts.

Probably a trader called Ten Commandments who attends many exhibitions around the UK

Eltel

Well, my A4 Really Useful Boxes arrived an hour ago and I'm well impressed. Just the job, and six of 'em for just £22.50 delivered from Hobbycraft. Herpes even managed to get them here in 48 hours! And seeing as how it's started to rain a bit, now's obviously the time to begin putting stuff in them ...

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, my A4 Really Useful Boxes arrived an hour ago and I'm well impressed. Just the job, and six of 'em for just £22.50 delivered from Hobbycraft. Herpes even managed to get them here in 48 hours! And seeing as how it's started to rain a bit, now's obviously the time to begin putting stuff in them ...

Only caveat is, be sure you've clipped the handles into the shut position when lifting.

• RMweb Gold

Only caveat is, be sure you've clipped the handles into the shut position when lifting.

And the design fault with them is that when you stack them if you slide the top ones off over the ends the handles on the box underneath unclip as they stand just proud of the lid

Not so fundamental it makes them unuseable - we use them for all our locos - but its a be careful jobbie!

Phil

• 4 months later...

I use really useful boxes 18 litre and 35 litre (35 litre locos mainly), these really useful boxes are essentially the same dimensions, (internal 340mm x 400mm) in all but depth, so can be stacked together.

I then use the Warley/Bachmann collectors club storage boxes in the main.  I glue the flat cardboard sheet to the assembled stock divider sections and glue the end dividers into place, works for about 95% of stock.

The problem I have is some stock is just that bit too tall, maybe 3-4mm so can't be fitted into the Warley/Bachmann stock boxes.  I store my stock in "block formations" so I cant store a BDA flat in the same tray as a CDA/PCA.

The main stock that has height issues are Hornby CDA clay hoods, Hornby PCA cement wagons & Bachmann BG parcel coaches with roof vents.

I'm trying to source foam inserts with slots in (preferably 5 slots) that will fit snug into the really useful box, tried a few guys on ebay but not looking like he can do to my size.

Anyone got any ideas?

• RMweb Gold

I have many 4-slot foam inserts from JBs Model World obtained from JB at the Andover Model Railway Club's annual exhibition over the last 2 years, where he has a trade stand. These fit into 4 litre and 9 litre boxes, so may be a little small for your needs.

JBs Model World e-mail address is JB2mmworld@aol.com.