RMweb

Euthanasia for a pet

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

I know a lot of RMweb members have a cat or a dog. Have any of you any experience of making the decision to euthanise a pet who is nearing the end of his/her life? Any regrets?

Our "golden girl" Holly turned 15 years and 10 months today but she has not got the same quality of life she had a few months ago. Without going into the details, she is not in physical pain but apart from her walks and her food she has lost all interest in the things she used to love and spends a lot of time either wandering around or just standing staring.

The vet said that they could keep her comfortable but not reverse her ageing process or bring back " the old Holly"

My brain is telling me that euthanasia is the right thing to do but my heart is saying the opposite and Holly herself can't advise. It's doing my head in and I feel that I am grieving "in advance"

Noelle, The dog in my avatar died two years ago but I had no such decision to make as she decided herself that it was time to go.

I have a two year old Lab Retreiver and she is sensing something is wrong with Holly.

Thanks

Colin

post-158-0-62418900-1532200236_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I've been through this. My own advice is that if an animal is in pain and suffering then euthanasia is the right thing to do, but if it is merely aging and the dog is still comfortable then I'd allow things to run their course naturally.

I sympathise with your dilemma.

Our male dog slowly deteriorated with his walks getting shorter and slower until one day he was unable to stand. I helped him to his feet but he just fell over again. This was quite heart-breaking as he had always been a very active animal. I took him as an emergency to the vet who told me that he might be able to give a month or two but that the kindest thing was to give him a dignified end. This I agreed to and stayed with him until he had died.

Sometimes you need to be brave for the animal's sake.

HTH

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Gold

I agree with jjb & Andy. if she is comfortable but getting old let the vet guide you. 

My last Heinz 57 Mongrel (chubber) came to work with me until she decided not to, she got slower but was comfy with a good appetite, Then one day you know it's the time as something changes. 

Always a sad time.  Our pets become family and are treated as such.  While we have little options for ourselves, our pets are perhaps more fortunate although before we become the judge, serious discussion with the vet is required.  While we would all like to have them around as long as possible, deep inside we all know the right time to make the right decision.

While sad, it does get better  and we may even be fortunate enough to find another; perhaps not like its predecessor but one who is equally deserving of the love we had for him or her.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Gold

A timely question as we had to make this decision for one of our Great Danes last week. For her, the quality of life was gone and she was confused a lot of the time, and was having great difficulty getting up.

My wife and I talked about it extensively, and it’s never an easy decision to make. The question we kept coming back to was whether we were carrying on for our benefit, and not for the dog’s. And there comes a point when you know it’s time - and to trust yourself that it’s the right decision.

And I’m sure I don’t need to say this, but when the time comes, go with them and stay with them. It’ll be a strange situation and it will be easier for them with a familiar face. It’s incredibly difficult but it helps a bit to know that you’ve been there for them.

Best wishes to you and Holly.

We had to make that decision for our rescue staffie, Maisie, three weeks ago, heartbreaking. I held her in my arms when they administered the anaesthetic, and I cried and so did my wife. She was a dog with a lot of issues when she came to us, I think that is why she ended up as a rescue pup, and she gradually came to trust me, which made it feel like a betrayal when I took her to the vet. but as time has passed I am more certain it was the right decision. I still miss her though.

You know your pet, you can see the changes and probably know best if your pet has a quaility of life.

It's never an easy decision.

We had four cats, over time, as they got older they each slowed down and did less, they seemed content, so we were happy.

In each case, one by one, they showed a marked decrease in health over a week to ten days.

Each time a visit to the vet confirmed age related, (and generally untreatable) conditions, so it was time to go,

cheers

Sorry to read this and it might not mean much but I know what your going thrhough.

I recently went through this with our yorkie ruby, lovely sweet old girl who succumbed to the Big C. She seemed to be getting better and the vet said she had a good chance of making if. Then it come back with a vengeance and we had to make probably the hardest call i have ever had to make. She’s left a whole that can’t be filled and devasted our Pug Frank. But I have to keep telling myself she’s gone be reunited with my Nan and grandad plus her best friend Bella our cavalier who died of a heart attack 4 years ago.

Big James

• RMweb Premium

As others have said, you will know when its time.

Our first Akita had bad arthritis and had slowly being getting worse, the local vet was very good with her treatments. But in the end it was too much, the look in her eyes gave the game away, she was tired and ready to go. 

My wife and I stayed with her as she was put to sleep, we both cried our eyes out, but to us the greatest act of love for any animal is to be with them at the end.

post-79-0-52926900-1532204967_thumb.jpg

This is Hana the day before she died, the look in her eyes says it all. 

I'm sure there will be a lot of support here when the time comes

all the best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I subscribe to the view if an animal is not in pain and has some quality of life such as enjoying food then you should keep them.

Three year ago in the middle of my cancer treatment one of our rescued handicapped hedgehogs ( some would have had these put to sleep as the can't lead a full life) had a stroke. I had finished chemo and had a month off before starting radiotherapy so had gone to visit friends and relatives when I got the call to say he'd had a stroke.

I came straight home to potentially say goodbye.

Even though he couldn't walk or eat I just thought he wanted to fight.

He did,even though he had a further mini stroke , I got him eating and walking again and my health went downhill with my treatment and lost speech and the ability to eat the pair of us were there for each other and became extremely close.

Nine months later he wanted a fuss so I picked him up and cuddled him and he went to sleep and passed away very peacefully.

I regained my speech and strength with pyscoclogical help from him and returned to work.

Unfortunately eating for me has not returned.

I think if people took the view of not having a full life I would have been put to sleep before the hedgehog!

• RMweb Premium

The only suggestion I could make in such circumstances is to arrange (if possible/funds permitting etc.) for the vet to do a home visit.  If it were me going then that's where I'd want to be.....

• RMweb Premium

Colin

I full sympaphies with your situation it's never easy but we have always known in our hearts when the time has been right for our little boys & Girls.

we are in the getting into the end game now with our last two girls (both cats) getting on, one has had a small stoke and the other has arthrits but both are still generally happy though we dont think they will see christmas.

Steve

Never easy. We have had to have two cats put to sleep (the first aged 22) and two dogs over a period of 35 years.

Take the vet's advice but if possible, let the dog tell you. Our Airedale is beginning to show signs of dementia and will stop in the middle of a walk and stare around her; she sometimes lies in the house barking to herself for no apparent reason. But she still wags her tail when she greets us, enjoys her food and walks and sits up in the car to watch the world go by. Her predecessor had skin cancer and we prolonged her life for about 8 months with various treatments but there came an afternoon walk when she just looked at me to tell me she had had enough.

When the time comes for your dog it will "leave its pawprints on your heart" but you may after a while find another. It will be a different animal and personality but it may come to mean just as much to you, without dimming your memories and affection for its predecessor.

• RMweb Premium

After I had my last dog 'put to sleep', SWMBO asked if I wanted another.

I said, 'As long as you keep wagging your tail when I come home, I can manage without'

Three weeks later, we got Jim, a Patterdale Terrorist.

Regards, and best wishes  to you and Holly.

Ian

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Without making light of Colins predicament, there are a few family members I wouldn't hesitate with.

Presumably they speak well of you, too!

In my experience, there are vets and vets. On the one hand are those content to keep pumping expensive chemicals into your animal until Nature cries enough. Life is perpetuated, joy probably not. On the other hand are those whose calling includes compassion for the patient - and his/her owner/s.

If your vet says she is still happy, and you sense through a waggy tail etc that is true, then carry on. Neither sort of vet will willingly put down an animal with quality of life remaining.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your replies guys

It is comforting to know we are not alone.

Holly is walking around the house as I write this. We will be seeing the vet tomorrow for advice and will take it from there.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

Holly is walking around the house as I write this. We will be seeing the vet tomorrow for advice and will take it from there.

If she's walking about (albeit a bit slow) I'd say you've still a bit more quality time left.

At present I'm converting an office to bedsit above a vet, as I have to use the front door for access I spend about 2/3rds of the day working and the other 1/3rd fussing every animal heading into and out of the vets. I generally head home covered in hair and way behind with work. . I love it. .

• Like 9

It is both selfish and cruel to make a dog ( or cat) suffer just because you don't want to lose it. If it's in constant pain, best to do the right thing, my dogs have been too good to see them in discomfort, and I've had quite a few, yes it hurts, it hurts like hell, a bit of your heart goes with them, but, for us, life must go on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The only suggestion I could make in such circumstances is to arrange (if possible/funds permitting etc.) for the vet to do a home visit.  If it were me going then that's where I'd want to be.....

Our last cat to be put to sleep had it done at the vet's but only because he ad been in hospital there for some days.  The one before him was dealt with by the vet and a veterinary nurse making a home visit as we didn't want to upset the cat by taking him down to the surgery for his final farewell.  It's never nice and our vet practice do things in a lovely way considering the circumstances but we would go for the home visit every time if circumstances suited.

• RMweb Gold

I`m in a similar situation as yourself...............

post-17779-0-17288000-1532270290_thumb.jpg

Penny is only 6years (which is middle age for a dachsund) having just got stabilised as an insulin dependent dog, she has now been diagnosed

with inoperable bladder cancer and has just a few months to go.

When the time comes and she is unable to eat , drink and have enough energy to cope with her doggy daily activities i will not hesitate to have her gently put to sleep.

animals have a different pain threshold to us human beans. ( I have regular visits from a male fox with one back leg that just gets dragged around ...obviously broken some time back)..... but he is thriving....)

you will know when the time is right.................... no need to pre-empt it

Regards.

john

• RMweb Gold

A bit of sad news. Despite walking around this morning Holly had gone downhill fast since yesterday and we took her to the vet. Everyone agreed it was time to let her go and this happened at 3pm this afternoon.

She is now with Noelle and we feel surprisingly peaceful about it now.

Thank you for your support.

post-158-0-78739500-1532275576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Colin_McLeod