TRANSITION COLIN T GIFFORD

paul 27

When will this be released,  SVR showing 4th Aug on there website, will it consist of colour rather than b&w  photos

as I think these are taken from his exhibition displayed there, and what will be the retail price.

Edited by paul 27

When will this be released,  SVR showing 4th Aug on there website, will it consist of colour rather than b&w  photos

as I think these are taken from his exhibition displayed there, and what will be the retail price.

The KRM website says: 

"The book contains 180 pages and 257 photographs nearly all of which show more than one form of motive power, but always with steam to be seen somewhere on the image.  It is a hard back book with a dust jacket.

The launch of  'Transition' will coincide with an exhibition of photographs to be held at Kidderminster Railway Museum between 4th and 19th August depicting the last few years of British Railways steam.  Colin will be in attendance at the event on 4th August to sign copies of his book".

I guess that the 4th August launch/signing date is key given the other 50th anniversary events at the SVR that day, so fingers crossed.... To my knowledge, nothing has been said officially about colour/b&w or the retail price.

• RMweb Premium

No idea of price at the moment, though I'll try and find out. It's being published by Kidderminster Railway Museum.

If anyone can't make Kidderminster next weekend, hopefully Colin will be at the Stevenage Loco Society meeting with copies of his book on Thursday 30th August. David Postle from KRM is doing the show that night.

Then on Thursday 13th December Colin will be doing a one off presentation of Transition.

http://stevenagelocosociety.co.uk/meetings/

I wonder if they will be previously unpublished images?

I have Decline of Steam, Each a Glimpse and Gone for Ever and I would hate to part with good money for duplicates, no matter how good and evocative they are.

Ian

I can't imagine Colin doing repeats. (CJL)

None of Colin's colour stuff has been published before as far as I know.

I think you'll find that a few colour transparencies were published in Steam World when Nigel Harris was Editor, but none has appeared in a book. I certainly recall being shown a few. (CJL)

I think you'll find that a few colour transparencies were published in Steam World when Nigel Harris was Editor, but none has appeared in a book. I certainly recall being shown a few. (CJL)

I know of the following articles.  Are there others please? Steam World April '91 - Birkenhead (with Ian Krause).  Steam World May 91 - Mills, chimneys and viaducts. Steam Railway May '93 - Stoke.

This should be an interesting publication when it appears.

Whilst renowned for his Steam classics, the author did contribute a number of fascinating green diesel pictures to the Ian Allan Annuals and Modern Railways magazine in the late 60's/ early 70's. 

So it should be worth looking out for.

John.

• RMweb Gold

This should be an interesting publication when it appears.

Whilst renowned for his Steam classics, the author did contribute a number of fascinating green diesel pictures to the Ian Allan Annuals and Modern Railways magazine in the late 60's/ early 70's. 

So it should be worth looking out for.

John.

The front cover of the book looks great...

https://www.facebook.com/NigelBirdRailwayBooks/photos/p.1761065197344693/1761065197344693/?type=3&theater

Very evocative.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

The Kidderminster Railway Museum was taking orders for Transition on Saturday and offering free postage and a signed copy, as it was not available that day as planned.  I am not aware of the new date.  Colin Gifford was there talking to enthusiasts and signing previous books that some visitors had brought with them.   

The Kidderminster Railway Museum was taking orders for Transition on Saturday and offering free postage and a signed copy, as it was not available that day as planned.  I am not aware of the new date.  Colin Gifford was there talking to enthusiasts and signing previous books that some visitors had brought with them.   

Some aspects of the event at Kidderminster were a  bit odd really. For example there were three books being promoted that are forthcoming, the MNA series, Mike Taylor's Burnley and Rose Grove and the Colin Gifford one. The one book that was printed and was relevant to the event was 'British Railways Steam 1968 the final chapters' by Stephen Leyland who wasn't allowed to sell it despite being in attendance! The book is excellent and very good value at £25 for a hardback with high printing quality and a host of new photographic material.

https://www.billhudsontransportbooks.co.uk/selected-product.php?prod=british+railways+steam+1968&pid=14164

I just had Stephen Leyland's book delivered today - from a quick look it appears to be a very well laid out quality publication!

Can you offer any more info on Mike Taylor's book, Respite?  I can't track it down.

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by Osgood

"Can you offer any more info on Mike Taylor's book, Respite?  I can't track it down.

Thanks,

Tony"

The Michael Taylor book was a black and white photo album with hard covers. It was on the Stanier 8F Society stand. My impression was that a lot of photos showed withdrawn 8Fs and Black 5s standing in pools of water and littered coal and that I had seen a fair proportion of the images before in magazines etc. There were some industrial locomotive photographs at Bank Hall Colliery, Burnley and Huncoat which unfortunately were printed at a small size, a pity when photos of these locations are uncommon. The standard of printing was very good and there some great photos in the book of Rose Grove locos and steam around Burnley.

There were sheets to fill in for pre-orders and I am sorry but I cannot remember the publishers name. I would suggest you contact the Stanier 8F society sales director Terry Donlan at the address given at 

http://www.8fsociety.co.uk/contactus.html

Can you offer any more info on Mike Taylor's book, Respite?  I can't track it down.

Thanks,

Tony

I think Mike's book is a self-publishing effort like Blurb books.  These are very expensive for short runs.   Mike was taking orders but even with a bulk purchase the price will be around £40.   He can't avoid this and is not making a great profit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Will this be on sale from the retail trade or only purchased from SVR.

It is not yet out, but I will have stocks of the book once it is published.

I will put full details on my website when I have it in stock.

Simon Castens

The Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop

www.titfield.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the heads up I purchased Stephen Leyland’s book from the East Lancashire Railway in Bury while SWMBO was on a course in Didsbury. The Metrolink tram system is very good and reasonable.

Agreed the book is very good with lots of information as well as photos.

Recommended.

Malcolm

• 5 weeks later...

Here is an update from SVR: 

'Transition' update

I am sorry it has taken so long to get in touch with you about the 'Transition' book, but I just want to update you as to where we are, as there has been a lot of behind the scenes work taking place between ourselves and the printer.  I apologise if this is a bit impersonal to those who have written specifically, but I will get round to responding to you all individually at some point soon.  However, this is a general update in advance of that bearing in mind that there are a few hundred of you to keep up to date.

For the last few weeks we have been trying to establish why it is that the print quality has not been what both Colin and I wanted from the job.  I am sure you will agree that the photographs which Colin took deserve the very best in terms of reproduction and I for one regard this very much more as a fine art book than a railway book.  For this reason I was looking for something which modern printing methods find difficult to achieve bearing in mind the trend towards four colour printing rather than the single colour printing of the past.

So for the last few weeks I have been doing trials with various settings of pdfs and print quality, sending them off to the printer for proofs and looking at the results.  I have got the original scans from Colin's negatives and having spent so much time with him getting all the nuances right regarding what we want out of the photograph, it is essential that the final printed book reflects that.  It has taken a long time to do, but I do believe we have now finally got to the stage where the results of all the trial work has shown the photographs to their best, and I hope when you see the end product that you will agree that the unfortunate wait has been worth it for the quality of the book.

I am still waiting for a definite date for the delivery of the books, and as soon as I do get it I shall forward it on to you.  However, the printer will have on Monday morning (1st October) a new pdf which incorporates all the trial results to give us the best quality, and it is just then a case of the book going through the whole process to completion within a programme the printer can do.  I will be very disappointed if we cannot get the book delivered before the end of October, and I hope it will be before then, but I will let you know as soon as I know.

On a purely administrative note, some of you have already paid for this book, and I am very grateful for your patience so far.  However, if any of you are worried about the time it is taking to produce this book, which should have been launched on 4th August, and your patience has run out, then I will, if you so wish, willingly refund you the money you have already paid.  Those who paid by cheque, I will return those if you require, as I have not cashed any of the cheques, nor will I do so until we actually receive the books and we send them out to you.  However, I do hope that you will be willing to wait just a little while longer.

Once again, many thanks for your patience and I know that this will now be a worthy addition to the list of Colin's books – a frustrating wait for all of us, but now within sight.

Best Wishes

David Postle

Kidderminster Railway Museum

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Latest update from David Postle:-

Update 3rd November 2018

First of all a big thank you to you all firstly for being patient for so long, and secondly for the many messages of support I have had from you as we try and ensure top quality and to make this Colin Gifford book something special.

After all the trials we have done over the last few weeks, we have finally reached a stage where we have had proofs which look really good.  As long as we can match those proofs on the press, then we will end up with a superb book, and we shall know that within the next few days as the book rolls off the presses.  I cannot imagine that we will have any more delays as everyone has made the effort to get it right, and I am looking forward to seeing the end result as I am sure you are too.

The date for delivery here has been given to me as 5th December, and if there is any change to that, then I will let you know.  The hard work for us then starts here!  A lot of you wanted signed copies, so I will be driving down to see Colin armed with several boxes of books for him to sign.  Once I have returned we will get extra staff onto the job to dispatch them to you. So please be that little bit extra patient as we get them signed and dispatched.

This email will be going out to those who have already ordered the book and paid for it, so for you there is nothing else for you to do unless you have since changed your postal address and in that case, please let me know so the book does not go to the wrong place!  Cheques will be cashed as we dispatch the book, so please ensure you have not spent all your money on Christmas shopping!

This email is also going out to those who have expressed an interest in purchasing the book but have not yet paid.  If you want to take advantage of my original offer to have the book posted to you free of charge, then I would be grateful if you would send a cheque for £30 made out to Kidderminster Railway Museum to arrive before the end of November.  Once the book has been delivered, any fresh orders will be subject to a post and packing charge.  

For those of you who would rather buy your books at a retail outlet, I will try and furnish you with that information before the end of the month.  The ISBN number of the book is 978 1916 400108, but that number will not appear on the retail lists for a few days yet.

As with the last update, I am sorry this is all a bit impersonal but I am trying to cover everyone who has expressed interest in the book in one form or another, as there are so many of you that if I were to write individual emails I would probably still be writing them after the book has arrived!

I will contact you again as the book goes through all its print and binding processes, let you know how all that is going and confirm the delivery date.  If there is anything else you need to know, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Best Wishes

David Postle      

Kidderminster Railway Museum

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...