RMweb

Dcc power bus wire

• RMweb Premium

As Iain asks, it would help to give a bit more information.

For starters:

How large is your layout?

How many locos do you intend to run?

What scale/gauge?

What DCC system have you got?

It doesn't have to be run as a continuous ring and an end to end (Radial) bus is fine, so long as the bus wire size is of a suitable size. It can even be wired as a star configuration where 'Spurs' tap off the main bus pair and go off to 'out of the way' places.  Try when ever possible to take the DCC input to the bus pair from the DCC console to as near a mid way point along the bus wires as practicable, but don't worry if you can't exactly manage this.

Bus wire size and type of wire will depend on layout size and the scale and the current (power) output of the DCC system.   If the layout is fixed and never to be moved a solid cored Bus wire can be used (Often stripped from former mains cable) or use a suitable flexible wire especially on portable layouts where wire movement is likely.

May be a read through of my two DCC pages, accessed via the link attached to my signature line, may help?.

• Like 1

Thanks guys ive read up and now sorted it all out i think well ill be finding out tomorrow morning my layout is 16x8 with 2 levels bus wire on each level and a 3rd level but a single track for now may change i power everything from my ECoS system works great well the controller does cheers guys

• RMweb Gold

You know guys I've been reading a lot of NEGATIVE posting on this forum lately (APT anyone ?) And thought this topic was going the same way. . But that last half a dozen posts have given me a POSITIVE jolt thanks guys