Oxford GWR Station and MPD

BobDM

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find any detailed information about Oxford station and MPD before 1968.  I managed to locate some stuff about the LMS station on Disused Stations but stuff about the GWR station is hard to find. I think I found a turntable on an 1899 map but it seems to be in a funny position. I am not sure how the trackwork was laid out or where the shed was.

The beauty of Oxford is that it attracted engines from all over the place and was a haven for spotters so there must be some good pictures about somewhere.

The GWR Engine Sheds bible has some details of the shed and trackplans. Only a page or two though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/historical-survey-Great-Western-engine/dp/0902888161

There was another book on GWR London Division Engine Sheds, but I haven't got it and I can't remember the full title. Published by Wild Swan I think. Part of a series that never materialised.

Jason

D1035 alongside Oxford Shed in 1964, I think this is a Grahame Wareham shot...

post-7638-0-80210000-1533753434_thumb.jpg

The double slip in the immediate foreground was in place until fairly recently and the white square visible top right is part of the water tower which was left in place for over twenty years after the shed around it had been demolished.

Between them, Grahame Wareham and Brian Daniels of this parish have some fantastic shots around Oxford in the '60s, '70s and '80s. I have a few more to add, I'll dig them out later  ;)

• Like 4

Hi Bob,

Use the links on the Didcot Railway Centre website to ask to be put in touch with the Great Western Trust. They have a wide range of sources including pictures and documents, etc. I’m sure they will help!

All the best,

Castle

The old Fairford bay on the down side, this is now an access road to the Network Rail compound...

post-7638-0-05145800-1533754175.jpg

Looking north c.1971, the semaphores were re[laced by MAS colour lights in late 1973...

post-7638-0-89537800-1533754397_thumb.jpg

Another Grahame Wareham shot showing part of the down side buildings in the background, January '68...

post-7638-0-16155600-1533754583.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for posting the photos of my home town station Rugd1022. The one of the Up side station buildings reminds me how poor the station was, and after two rebuildings, still is !

Edited by caradoc

• RMweb Gold

I have many photos taken in and around Oxford shed, as I lived in Walton Well Road. Most are not currently on the web, but there are a few examples in in this album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157623097377354

There are a few more if you search my flickr stream for  Oxford 196

I probably won't be able to post more for a couple of weeks, but are there any particular areas you are looking for?

Thanks

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have many photos taken in and around Oxford shed, as I lived in Walton Well Road. Most are not currently on the web, but there are a few examples in in this album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157623097377354

There are a few more if you search my flickr stream for  Oxford 196

Just had a quick browse; some excellent photographs, bringing back memories of my sixties spotting days around Oxford and Banbury. Thank you for sharing.

It's a pity the ex-LMR Blue Pullman is blocking the view of the old up side station buildings in this shot from 1967 but it does show the signalling arrangement for the split platform working on the down side...

post-7638-0-25858100-1533904013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Another shot which might be useful, as it shows the difference in level between the main line and the shed. January 1966, it shows 6998 before haulling the last  steam service from Oxford.

post-6902-0-06893100-1533904241_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Dave

• Like 2

See also "Heart of the Great Western" - by Adrian Vaughan - Silver Link.

This has a signalling bias - and traces the route from Didcot through to Wolvercot - with various notes about how the various lines were operated.

Includes various signal box plans - and photographs - again with a signalling bias.  

• RMweb Gold

My view of Oxford shed from the north in its final year or so as as team depot - lift shop on the right with the two ancient, timber built, running shed buildings between it and the running lines.  the difference in level between the shed lines and the running lines wasn't all that marked and was basically down to depth of ballast on the running lines.

post-6859-0-18901200-1534164391_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic!

What a great selection of material. Apologies for not posting these thanks earlier but I haven't had the chance to visit this forum for a few weeks.

It is really nice to know that other people have got pleasure from the replies.

I have been reading the Laurence Waters' book and it has been really valuable but some information I needed is missing and these pictures and comments are helping fill the gaps.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst looking for something else entirely I came across this shot in the hard drive just now, not sure exactly which year it was taken but it's a good view looking south from the up platform...

post-7638-0-92256800-1536414610.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Been making slow progress on my plan for this station and have come across a couple of things.

On a map of the station it shows a bay with 3 tracks to the west of the main Down platform. I thought this might be a goods yard but now I don't think it was. Was this the Faringdon bay?

Another puzzle is what role did the various tracks to the east of the main Up platform perform? I'm not talking about the goods yard but tracks which appear to be linked with either 1 or 2 small platforms.

Thirdly how did the process of switching engines from Western to Southern region take place?

Any guidance much appreciated. Thanks