DCC Sound British Steam

Marty Mc

Hi

Here are some youtube videos of DCC sound added to British Steam locos. Contact me if you want any further info on any of these locos. Sound id by DCC Concepts in Australia.

Hornby Class 4MT 75000 DCC Sound smoke and lights added. This was one of the of the hardest locos I have tackled to date. Adding sound was no problem at all adding the rest was a nightmare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryLsS0bscc

My favourite loco, Bachmanns 9f Evening Star. A well weighted and built loco, A joy to work but it also had its moments. Getting a speaker into the loco was tricky but it can be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBnCMpZJce4

Hornbys A4 This has a great 3 cylinder beat and beautiful chime whistles. Plenty of space to add what you want as well as extra weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlSN9Dg4eY

Bachmanns LMS "Jinty" A tricky job but I managed to get lights and sound in. It is now about 15% heavier than the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPnOPeRWC4

I have only added 4 as that is all I was allowed to add. Am I doing something wrong?

Enjoy

Martin

Madness... but I had the time. A WC Class with all prototypical lights working except for 4 which were used at night for maintenance. She has 3 decoders in it to control the lighting and smoke. A total of 24 functions. Yes I know the whistle is crap it was taken from a B&W, it will be fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4UKIzPT590

Hornbys 4MT. Nice DCC wheel spin on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPTB0ta1pxA

Hornbys NRM Flying Scotsman. This loco is currently touring the US like his big brother many years ago. This has a tank built with a pre heater to produce lots of smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOfHxgVtijE

Hornby Britannia, another beautiful runner. The whistle is now fixed to a chime this has a BR. When I post the Clan you will hear the new whistles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iLVhmeVMtg

I will add more as I can and also some of the N gauge steamers, I have built. They also have sound smoke (some duel smoke) full lights and firebox flicker. As the say seeing is believing!

Enjoy.

Martin

Wow these are impresive! Was it differcult to put the smoke generator in the 9F? I have one on my christmas list , and seeing what you have done has inspired me to try adding a smoke unit! Out of interest which smoke units did you use? seuthe 23?

Wow these are impresive! Was it differcult to put the smoke generator in the 9F? I have one on my christmas list , and seeing what you have done has inspired me to try adding a smoke unit! Out of interest which smoke units did you use? seuthe 23?

I would have thaught a no 99 looking at how much smoke was coming out. The no 23 produces about half the smoke of the 99, i fitted smoke and sound into a spam can, it was very impressive.

I would have thaught a no 99 looking at how much smoke was coming out. The no 23 produces about half the smoke of the 99, i fitted smoke and sound into a spam can, it was very impressive.

As a matter of thought, is the 23 the only one that can operate close to plastic, or can a 99 as well?

Glad they look good I have ordered a Clan from Richard with sound and lights. One comment on the smoke its a pity it isn't sinked to the beats like the American MTH system, one day perhaps.

Or like triang Hornby in 197mumble - when the Britannia came with "synchrosmoke". 2009 and we've nearly caught up with 35 years ago...

Hi

Ok 90% have Seuthe No 22 in them. Some have duel 22's. The NRM Scotsman has 2 with a insulated brass storage tank and (an oil pre heater) inside the tank to heat the oil so it vaporises quicker. That set of my smoke alarm in my room when I first tested it.

The only issue I see is that the exhaust sounds are 'generic' - the SWD and Howes chips use actual recordings of the prototypes.

Incorrect DavidM make sure you have your facts right on this! Sounds used are from original loco's (prototypical) not the preserved ones which do sound slightly different. Eg the whistle on the WC sounds terrible but it is the real deal.

So if they use actual recordings why is the rod clank so loud on some?

It was fairly tricky but I put 2 in on a micro relay in the 9f's. Used No 22 Seuthe (rubber coated) but I also add a little more insulation at the very top.

IMG_1086Medium.jpg

Cheers

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jonny GT

Yes I have but I am not completely happy with them as of yet. I am having trouble getting them in sinc with the notching. The are fan forced and I can change the level of smoke.

I build my own custom units using ni-chrome wire (same as what's in your toaster) build a tank and add a tiny motor and fan which is on a separate decoder. I also use different resistors on separate functions to change the current to the generator in series parallel circuits depending on what effect I want.

I will post a video when I am happy with it.

Thanks for the interest.

Martin

Hi Martin - super models, really top drawer. I was just wondering (bera with me - I'm a duffer when it comes to this) is it possible to install something like the American MTH system? I saw a clip of a 4mm loco which looked awesome with steam sychronised to beat. the reason I ask is that my little girl likes Thomas the tank engine, and the smoke on the TV programmes models seems to 'chuff' rather then be a steady stream? I take it that something like the KM1 dynamic smoke would be impossible in 4mm though?

Hi

Thanks glad you liked them.

OK here is my 2nd attempt like the KM1 but a very poor brother to it. I will leave it up for a couple of days and then it goes back into my private gallery. All I am showing is it is possible in 4mm. Sorry I deleted the sinc smoke ones I need the space for others but I will post a really good one in the new year of my new sinc smoke unit. It actually looks good running or on track, not so good on rolling road.

Smoke from cylinders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxZJ_US6JJc

m

***No, they aren't Generic.

Richard

DCCconcepts

I'm not usually one to 'doubt the maker' - but all the videos on here seem to be very similar exhaust recordings that have been chopped and changed to make a representation of each prototype, rather than using recordings of prototype locomotives.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, and the projects sound fantastic as they are - but some locomotives have very distinctive exhausts that can only be replicated by using recordings of that type of locomotive.

Dave

hello mate, could you help me at all? im going to fit a Sound Chip Mrico(ESU) in a Bachmann 3MT where could i put it? in the cab or in the smoke box?

I also can you help me with a Heljan Class 17? where can i put a sound chip + Speaker in there?

Thanks

Rory

I'm not usually one to 'doubt the maker' - but all the videos on here seem to be very similar exhaust recordings that have been chopped and changed to make a representation of each prototype, rather than using recordings of prototype locomotives.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, and the projects sound fantastic as they are - but some locomotives have very distinctive exhausts that can only be replicated by using recordings of that type of locomotive.

Dave

Just fitted the SWD Jubilee ( Leander ) and am pleased with the sound to my ears it sounds like a Jub should sound, 3 Whistles as well, Well done SWD.

Wish they would do others Royal Scot, Black 5, 8F etc, am aware though that some Loco owners are asking rather large fees when asked for a Loco to be used for recording purposes, perhaps this is driving the generic producers. My beef is that if it is a generic sound on offer we should be at least told so, as we can then make are own mind up as it is we who are parting with the money. I know of one shop who told me a Scot/Patriot/Jubilee all sounded the same !!! tell that to a LMS man and get away with it, granted all 3 Cyl with same size wheels but single/double chimney.

Hope I am not stirring up a hornets nest but then trade descriptions could be an issue if not addressed properly.

Now that's I'd love to hear John - it will be interesting to compare the SWD with the Bachmann one when it comes out.

As SWD do the recordings it will be essentially the same but to Bachmanns spec. One of the main differences I understand is that the SWD has the Firemen sound as a Function but the Bachmann version will have it as a random sound when the sound is switched on.

Fot those interested the SWD version has 3 whistles, Safety valves, boiler and cylinder drain cocks, coupling up and guards whistle amongst its available functions. the fireman sound is also linked to a flickering light so if you want to intsall firbox glow you can have when the firemen is at work.

Can I point out that I am in no way linked to SWD only as a satified customer

• RMweb Gold
Sounds used are from original loco's (prototypical) not the preserved ones which do sound slightly different.

Do they? In what way? (I think you can probably tell I think that that statement is nonsense)

The only issue I see is that the exhaust sounds are 'generic' - the SWD and Howes chips use actual recordings of the prototypes.

I agree with this. Apart from the 3 cylinder sync, that West Country doesn't sound anything like a West Country regardless of whether one claims recordings of originals and not preserved examples!

These locos were very well known for their distinctive 'soft' puff rather than the hard 'bark' exhibited in that video. To me, that sounds more like some American or Australian mountain climber than a West Country (ie generic sounds). The Howes version is significantly better.

I don't know what those recordings are, but they are definitely not correct - and I spent many years around Blackmore Vale on the Bluebell, with plenty of video to prove it, so I know what they sound like! I can only conclude that if the recordings are of originals then they must be very old (pre 1968) and consequently, the quality is terrible!

Not so long ago, a friend of mine let me drive his DCCConcepts version of the West Country - and yes, it sounded like that video. To be honest, I could not drive it to make it sound reallistic. I didn't manage to get cutoff to occur, so it just chuffed all the time. It didn't even exhibit that deep 'humming' noise from the boiler which the Howes one does.

With regards the clanking rods, again, another very prominant feature of these locos.

Usual disclaimer, no relation to Howes, just a satisfied customer.

Scott

Archived