Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

The push of a button earlier has resulted in the transfer of a new Fleet Member coming to Seven Mills in the coming days.

It's DCC Sound fitted with and ESU V4 Chip with Cold and Failed Start up, which will be the same type as in 47 and 56 that I have. I would have preferred a Paul Chetter / Zimo, with the active Braking but as with the other two it will be fine.

649066358_2020-03-01(1).png.92216687d777f2e6b56ee23e4fc65932.png

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

There is something similar to the Zimo Active Brake for LokSound decoders if only I could remember what CVs need altering to introduce it. Beware though as it appears to behave differently depending on how you try to operate it.

We use NCE Power/Pro Cab throttles and have one momentary key - i.e. the function is only operable whilst the key is depressed, all the remaining keys are push on, push off. n.b. in this context Push off isn't the same us shove off!  :jester:

Once the ESU/LokSound feature is activated the use of the momentary key works virtually the same as with a Zimo decoder. However, whilst it is possible the bypass the Active Brake function on Zimo decoders by using the chosen Push On Push Off key to turn on, and leave on i.e, Push On only, our experience with doing likewise with the ESU/LokSound decoders meant that the loco seemed to accelerate rather than slow down if the Push On, Push Off key was left in Push On mode.

I haven't done exhaustive research but what might appear to be initial acceleration with the ESU/LokSound decoders could just be the loco increasing the speed initially so that it stops where it would if the momentary key was kept depressed until the loco stopped.

Sorry if it isn't explained too clearly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

37 minutes ago, Ray H said:

There is something similar to the Zimo Active Brake for LokSound decoders if only I could remember what CVs need altering to introduce it. Beware though as it appears to behave differently depending on how you try to operate it.

We use NCE Power/Pro Cab throttles and have one momentary key - i.e. the function is only operable whilst the key is depressed, all the remaining keys are push on, push off. n.b. in this context Push off isn't the same us shove off!  :jester:

Once the ESU/LokSound feature is activated the use of the momentary key works virtually the same as with a Zimo decoder. However, whilst it is possible the bypass the Active Brake function on Zimo decoders by using the chosen Push On Push Off key to turn on, and leave on i.e, Push On only, our experience with doing likewise with the ESU/LokSound decoders meant that the loco seemed to accelerate rather than slow down if the Push On, Push Off key was left in Push On mode.

I haven't done exhaustive research but what might appear to be initial acceleration with the ESU/LokSound decoders could just be the loco increasing the speed initially so that it stops where it would if the momentary key was kept depressed until the loco stopped.

Sorry if it isn't explained too clearly.

With the ACE Signatrack that I use, I can set the function buttons for momentary or latch on each individual Loco so that makes life a lot easier.

I'll have a play with it once it arrives.

Cheers Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy you may find this interesting about braking with the ESU decoders  http://southwestdigital.co.uk/New design news.htm down a page or two specific on braking. There are also some interesting discussions here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106283-dcc-braking/  particularly on page 2.

Works slightly diffeent to the Zimo but similar effect.

I have the Immersive drive on my Railmotor but as supplied the braking effect is too gradual and on a BLT it can be a bit of a panic to stop it, must play with the CVs. It was needed to the club layout at an exhibition so I didn't have it at home.

Don

• Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Donw said:

Andy you may find this interesting about braking with the ESU decoders  http://southwestdigital.co.uk/New design news.htm down a page or two specific on braking. There are also some interesting discussions here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106283-dcc-braking/  particularly on page 2.

Works slightly diffeent to the Zimo but similar effect.

I have the Immersive drive on my Railmotor but as supplied the braking effect is too gradual and on a BLT it can be a bit of a panic to stop it, must play with the CVs. It was needed to the club layout at an exhibition so I didn't have it at home.

Don

Thanks Don, it looks interesting so will need to look into that further once I set up again down Souf.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

Looks the part Andy. I have one of the early blue machines with twin head code boxes. The ones that keep splitting their gears!  Fortunately I have a stock and set of brass replacements. I am looking forward to the first video

Paul R

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, pwr said:

Looks the part Andy. I have one of the early blue machines with twin head code boxes. The ones that keep splitting their gears!  Fortunately I have a stock and set of brass replacements. I am looking forward to the first video

Paul R

Cheers Paul, When I had the 47 and Large Logo 37 Sound fitted, I had a Motor removed in order to fit an OO Chip so I now have some spare bits, but as my Trains pull little more than themselves I'm hoping they last a bit.

I do need to do some more Videoing before I dismantle it ready to move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Paul, When I had the 47 and Large Logo 37 Sound fitted, I had a Motor removed in order to fit an OO Chip so I now have some spare bits, but as my Trains pull little more than themselves I'm hoping they last a bit.

I do need to do some more Videoing before I dismantle it ready to move.

My gears split before I had even run it on a layout!

Same problem with my 47 and Hymek although the latter was a second hand deal. The retailer I  bought it from didn't fix it and I suspect the original owner sold it without realising what was wrong. Anyhow I got a bargain and it cost me £2.50 to fix!

Heljan have now accepted there was a problem - see O Gauge Gazette before last but have no plans to do anything about it. If you ask me GOG should have launched a class action on behalf of members affected.

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, pwr said:

My gears split before I had even run it on a layout!

Same problem with my 47 and Hymek although the latter was a second hand deal. The retailer I  bought it from didn't fix it and I suspect the original owner sold it without realising what was wrong. Anyhow I got a bargain and it cost me £2.50 to fix!

Heljan have now accepted there was a problem - see O Gauge Gazette before last but have no plans to do anything about it. If you ask me GOG should have launched a class action on behalf of members affected.

Totally agree with your sentiment regarding the 0 gauge Guild , I personally find Heljan seem to have a problem with customer relationships but in the same breath one has to say that they have produced some good models over the years. The problem that they face is the likes of Dapol and Ellis Clark have raise the bar to a new level. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Totally agree with your sentiment regarding the 0 gauge Guild , I personally find Heljan seem to have a problem with customer relationships but in the same breath one has to say that they have produced some good models over the years. The problem that they face is the likes of Dapol and Ellis Clark have raise the bar to a new level. 

Yeah, and I NEED / WANT a Blue 26 once I've sold some more gear.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, gismorail said:

What gear is that Andy .....so it's you that's selling Heljan ' dogey gears ... or is it the illegal type of gear :wacko: :smoke:

You'll get a smack mate, haha, weedy smell around here, that must be me then.:D:smoke:

• Funny 1