Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

43 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Hi Trevor, if you have any photos of that trip or of the MSC Railway in general, I'd love to see them as I am modelling part of the MSC Railway in 7mm scale.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/161255-mols-msc-hudswell-clarke-204hp-diesel/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/161395-mols-msc-layout-musings/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101520-manchester-ship-canal-railway/

Many thanks,

Mol

No longer able to go from Liverpool Street Station now a days due to the new Ordsall Chord being in the way.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Hi Trevor, if you have any photos of that trip or of the MSC Railway in general, I'd love to see them as I am modelling part of the MSC Railway in 7mm scale.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/161255-mols-msc-hudswell-clarke-204hp-diesel/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/161395-mols-msc-layout-musings/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101520-manchester-ship-canal-railway/

Many thanks,

Mol

Sorry, only memories from the 1960's before I had a camera. Will follow your threads with interest, though. Trevor

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The start of another 2 Videos this afternoon, so will spend the next couple of days editing them down, and they can join the queue for future release onto the wilds of You Tube and RM Web and all you poor souls.:D

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Gaugemaster certainly know how to rip the hobbyist off as well, £9 for a set......... Howes were doing these for £2 each about 12 months ago. That must be about a 125% price increase.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, jcarta said:

Gaugemaster certainly know how to rip the hobbyist off as well, £9 for a set......... Howes were doing these for £2 each about 12 months ago. That must be about a 125% price increase.

Jim

I didn't see the prices Jim. yes a bit on the High side, maybe the bag and label is a better quality.:mail:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Andrew P said:

I didn't see the prices Jim. yes a bit on the High side, maybe the bag and label is a better quality.:mail:

At least they offer free postage...... These should be free to all parties that have failed gears on their loco's

Jim

• Agree 4

19 minutes ago, jcarta said:

At least they offer free postage...... These should be free to all parties that have failed gears on their loco's

Jim

I believe the technical term is 'designed obcelesence' - not certain that's spelt right but you get the drift.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I believe the technical term is 'designed obcelesence' - not certain that's spelt right but you get the drift.

But it's ok, yesterday, it was reported, Boris has said they wanted to sort the longevity of

white goods.

Surely now he's got us on the one way street out of the pand.... he'll sort Heljan etc next.

Just a thought

TONY

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

For what its worth, I think Heljan (probably Ben) should get some credit for re designing these gears and doing a special run. Whether you all agree or not, they didnt actually have to and that they have, suggests they have listened a bit more than we sometimes give them credit for.

As for the price, it's been redesigned and done as a run of just gears, not part of a batch of locos. Plus its 5 - 10 years since the last lot. It's bound to cost more and despite our efforts to suggest otherwise sometimes, they probably aren't totally stupid and will have done them as cheap as possible given the adverse publicity!

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There are various factors that should, I say should as I know certain manufacturers/suppliers (big orange shed to mention one) work out the 'market price' and then work back from there, come into play when deriving what the customer should be charged. These include manufacturing costs ie material, labour, power;capital investment/depreciation; design; transport; marketing/packaging and of course profit. To keep the price down the most significant reduction that can be made is that of labour hence why China has gobbled up significant chunks of manufacturing. However even China is now having difficulties as other far east countries are eating into its market share. So when prices go up  it is not always because a manufacturer is 'price gouging' -although that is not always the case,  but rather they have had no other choice.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

There are various factors that should, I say should as I know certain manufacturers/suppliers (big orange shed to mention one) work out the 'market price' and then work back from there, come into play when deriving what the customer should be charged. These include manufacturing costs ie material, labour, power;capital investment/depreciation; design; transport; marketing/packaging and of course profit. To keep the price down the most significant reduction that can be made is that of labour hence why China has gobbled up significant chunks of manufacturing. However even China is now having difficulties as other far east countries are eating into its market share. So when prices go up  it is not always because a manufacturer is 'price gouging' -although that is not always the case,  but rather they have had no other choice.

You make a very good point Wilmslow Boy but this doesn't explain how Dapol can offer the base class 66 model for shade under £300 whereas Heljan want a shade under £600 for the forthcoming 47 and 56. Both sourced in China as far as I know. Both large Co-Co diesels. Competition works but there really isn't much when it comes to O gauge diesels as despite the growing market for the scale it wont support the same model from Dapol and Heljan - class 122/121 seemingly excepted, and even then there is a price differential although I think Heljan has moved on this.

Heljan prices for Mk1 coaches when they came out were around £250. They are now much cheaper than this because I assume the forthcoming Dapol versions have provided competition. Ellis Clark have also helped with their own versions and I think the market is there for this model even if the Heljan versions have the wrong body shape to get them out of the mould! 

Its possible that the market would support competing 47's and/or 66's but not for example the class 17.  Heljan will charge what they feel the market will bear and that's just how the market works. If we stopped buying them maybe that would change but I can't see that happening. Production runs are relatively low which also serves to keep prices high as retailers don't want large stocks of high value items on shelves they can't shift.  As I want a 47 I simply have to pay the price asked or look to building a kit and once you have sourced the motors and gears and extra's there probably isn't much in it. Then of course you have to build it!

I am seeing similar comments on the price of OO scale models from all manufacturers so its not all us O gauge modellers that are affected.

Its probably time to put this one to bed!

Apologies Andy for being off topic.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pwr said:

You make a very good point Wilmslow Boy but this doesn't explain how Dapol can offer the base class 66 model for shade under £300 whereas Heljan want a shade under £600 for the forthcoming 47 and 56. Both sourced in China as far as I know. Both large Co-Co diesels. Competition works but there really isn't much when it comes to O gauge diesels as despite the growing market for the scale it wont support the same model from Dapol and Heljan - class 122/121 seemingly excepted, and even then there is a price differential although I think Heljan has moved on this.

Heljan prices for Mk1 coaches when they came out were around £250. They are now much cheaper than this because I assume the forthcoming Dapol versions have provided competition. Ellis Clark have also helped with their own versions and I think the market is there for this model even if the Heljan versions have the wrong body shape to get them out of the mould! 

Its possible that the market would support competing 47's and/or 66's but not for example the class 17.  Heljan will charge what they feel the market will bear and that's just how the market works. If we stopped buying them maybe that would change but I can't see that happening. Production runs are relatively low which also serves to keep prices high as retailers don't want large stocks of high value items on shelves they can't shift.  As I want a 47 I simply have to pay the price asked or look to building a kit and once you have sourced the motors and gears and extra's there probably isn't much in it. Then of course you have to build it!

I am seeing similar comments on the price of OO scale models from all manufacturers so its not all us O gauge modellers that are affected.

Its probably time to put this one to bed!

Apologies Andy for being off topic.

These are all very good points PWR and it really illustrates the complexity of the market and we could probably have an extremely long and varied discussion on the topic, but as you have already stated this is not the forum for it. All I would say is that each manufacturer approaches the market with its own 'baggage'. 

Anyway back to Seven Mills and its winding down before its sale.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Enjoyed that video Andy, and you are right, the sound adds a lot to the whole effect.

Cheers

David

Thanks David, I remember when George, @georgeT and I first heard Sound at a Show, we were blown away, and now a Layout without it just seems dead and lifeless.

There are those that will strongly disagree, Clive, @Clive Mortimoreis a case in point, but his Layout has so much going on and his stock is so vast, that DCC and Sound would never be an option, and half an our of trying to run his Train Set, as he calls it, you soon forget about the Sound, or lack of it.

image.png.7783a738e46edcba467f0f43e459fa7a.png

image.png.04ebdca606f14503fee0bc24fdef7433.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Andy

I completely agree. I think there is no point in DCC without sound but I am afraid I have too much stock to convert although I was intrigued by the Hornby magazine's article on pairing a Hornby TTS sound chip in parallel with an O Gauge chip just to power the sound and not the loco. Seemed to me a very cost effective way to go. 

The wiring on Notley is compatible with DCC so who knows. I might consider getting a system and converting a few locos and running it in alternative modes. One for steam and green diesel and one for blue diesel. I am not sold on DCC Steam sounds, they just don't have the depth of the real thing.

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, pwr said:

Andy

I completely agree. I think there is no point in DCC without sound but I am afraid I have too much stock to convert although I was intrigued by the Hornby magazine's article on pairing a Hornby TTS sound chip in parallel with an O Gauge chip just to power the sound and not the loco. Seemed to me a very cost effective way to go. 

The wiring on Notley is compatible with DCC so who knows. I might consider getting a system and converting a few locos and running it in alternative modes. One for steam and green diesel and one for blue diesel. I am not sold on DCC Steam sounds, they just don't have the depth of the real thing.

Paul R

I'm afraid I have to agree about Steam Loco Sounds, they just don't have that bark of a real Loco.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks David, I remember when George, @georgeT and I first heard Sound at a Show, we were blown away, and now a Layout without it just seems dead and lifeless.

There are those that will strongly disagree, Clive, @Clive Mortimoreis a case in point, but his Layout has so much going on and his stock is so vast, that DCC and Sound would never be an option, and half an our of trying to run his Train Set, as he calls it, you soon forget about the Sound, or lack of it.

image.png.7783a738e46edcba467f0f43e459fa7a.png

image.png.04ebdca606f14503fee0bc24fdef7433.png

Hi Andy

Thank you.

There is another aspect of sound fitted locos which makes them unspectacular for me. I am tone deaf, yeah it sounds like a diesel but that is as far as it goes.

• Funny 3