Alcanman

Having sold most of my 1980s rolling stock after the demise of Springburn Yard, I now find I'm having to pay twice the price that I paid a few years ago. Grrr...!

When weathering wagons, I find Humbrol acrylic Dark Brown (no 29) to be a useful colour. I usually start with a few passes with the spray can. This is a quick and easy method. I usually follow this with dry brushiing and weathering powders later.

After comparing my own effort with Bachmann's factory weathering, I beginning to wonder if they are also using Humbrol Dark Brown. The results are remarkably similar.

The van on the left has simply had a few passes with Humbrol and the one on the right is Bachmann factory weathered.

post-7898-0-96825300-1539689543_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 2

A couple of pics with the addition of the usual Alcanman photoshoppery!

I mentioned to my brother that the layout was based in Scotland. He has recently returned from a holiday in the Highlands and this has clearly influenced his choice of background!

post-7898-0-17392000-1539714800_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-98023100-1539714819_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-17392000-1539714800_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-98023100-1539714819_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 10

I'm continuing to add to (and weather) my 1980s rolling stock.

These 2 OBAs have been weathered and steel pipe loads added.

They arrived at Deanside via 6S74 Cardiff Tidal - Mossend speedlink trunk service and then onwards on the T56 trip working from Mossend.

post-7898-0-46264600-1540029104_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-72671000-1540029141_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I'm continuing to add to (and weather) my 1980s rolling stock.

These 2 OBAs have been weathered and steel pipe loads added.

They arrived at Deanside via 6S74 Cardiff Tidal - Mossend speedlink trunk service and then onwards on the T56 trip working from Mossend.

attachicon.gifdt 20.10.18 008.JPG

attachicon.gifdt 20 002.JPG

Nice weathering Alcanman, I like the pipe loads as well, where did you get them?

Steve.

Nice weathering Alcanman, I like the pipe loads as well, where did you get them?

Steve.

Thanks Steve.

I picked up the pipe loads cheaply a couple of years ago at an exhibition. They are made by the Czech firm 'Duha' but are difficult to find nowadays.

Mal

Mal it's a good job all your layouts are HO or OO, & I work in O, because all of them are great, & I'd want to buy them!! But being the 'wrong' scales saves me a fortune!! :jester:

This current layout is reminding me how little modern/air brake BR stock is available in O, but did prompt me to put my Heljan O wagons on my USA loft layout. They can get round a 36" radius curve - coupled up!! Unfortunately big diesels have too much overhang & would rip them off the track at that radius, but as a Minerva Pannier Tank could pull (& push!) them round it, when I get a Dapol 'new' 08 I could do some serious shunting with them on that layout! :good:

• 2 weeks later...

More 80s wagons have arrived at Deanside.

I've been looking for Bachmann Railfreight OCAs for some time, without luck, as they are pretty rare on e-bay. Bachmann have a weathered version due but it may not be available until next year.

However, I struck lucky when a couple appeared on e-bay listed as new but in the old Bachmann dark blue boxes. Appearing in the 2006 catalogue, I guess they most be new (old) stock.

After weathering, they now appear on one of kick-back sidings into which I've managed to squeeze a little concrete hard-standing for unloading.

post-7898-0-36694200-1541683433_thumb.jpg

When I designed the layout, I ensured that the (short) headshunt could accomodate a 60 or 66 and 2 OCAs. Having operated the layout for some time I find that, by using the second siding I can

exchange 2 loaded wagons for 2 empties, adding to operational interest. Every inch counts with a small layout!

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 6

Awesome small layout,as always. Thinking seriously on modeling British railways. Like the BR blue livery and a Bo-Bo locomotive would be ideal.

I quite like the current CSX livery (a.k.a. "Dark Future"?) as it reminds me of BR Blue - all blue, with yellow ends!! :mosking:

... but for CSX liveries I prefer the previous 'light Future', with the grey in it. :yes:

Plus of course EWS livery was a direct copy of Wisconsin Central maroon & gold, which itself harked back to the original Soo Line livery. ;)

Anyway, back to 1980's Speedlink - very nice, Mal.!! :good:

I've been looking for a few figures to add to the layout, but to be honest, I'm not too keen on figures in permanent action poses, such as PW workers.

My Bachmann figures are too modern for the 1980s as they have full hi-vis suits.So, I was pleased to find these rail workers from P&D Marsh at the Newcastle Exhibition last weekend.

They have the short hi-vis vests which look just right. One chap appears to be wearing a donkey jacket, perfect for the 80s!

post-7898-0-88842900-1542124513_thumb.jpg

I've also managed to find another Duha wagon steel load.

post-7898-0-90450200-1542124659_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

After some deliberation, I decided to extend the concrete hard standing to allow wagons on both sidings to be unloaded.

I'm aware there is not a lot of space for unloading, due to the space constraints of the layout, but it does add to operational interest.

I can now shunt more wagons, instead of bringing in locos for stabling which had proved to be a tad boring. 

post-7898-0-91604600-1542817612_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Deanside Transit is now firmly established in it's 1980s heyday

Research showed that grain from East Anglia was one of many commodities handled in the 80s.

I managed to pick up a couple of old Bachmann (ex Trix) bulk grain wagons cheaply on e-bay. The 'blues', with a little weathering have turned out quite good, despite the lack of detail we expect from modern wagons.

post-7898-0-05231800-1544265059_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-78260900-1544265120_thumb.jpg

• Like 4