Alcanman

Yes, I've certainly had plenty of practice ballasting layouts.

Looks like there may have been some steel traffic at Deanside after all. When I mentioned short trains, I hadn't expected them to be this short!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21513703@N06/30565297330/in/photolist-22Gucge-cT8YYQ-85FWCx-qHWXzo-aZjgFx-85KLtN-9uuZvi-Rpd5Em-85KK7W-h5Dhx7-9CCKqs-dT2pv4-7cErL9-27tHnoY-6w9y8h-VamFLk-QjjMea-NyX921-acPv2M-kojTAR-gcXiJz-cfxc45-zAPR8E-Czbn7e-Vm3cDq/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It must be the 1980s at Deanside, my old Morris Marina has turned up! 

It's in remarkably good nick for an L plate (1972/73) Marina in the 1980s ! :jester: 

I seem to recall a fair percentage of them were in that colour, which if memory serves me right BL called something like 'Harvest Gold'.  My Mini Clubman of that era was the same.  

• Like 1

It's in remarkably good nick for an L plate (1972/73) Marina in the 1980s ! :jester:

I seem to recall a fair percentage of them were in that colour, which if memory serves me right BL called something like 'Harvest Gold'.  My Mini Clubman of that era was the same.  

Yes, mine was 'Harvest Gold' and it looked quite smart at the time. I also had another one whose colour, I can't remember except it resembled snot green!

Must have been a Sunday afternoon, as I've just cleaned it.

post-7898-0-61736000-1536846655_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting.... and following!

I've also been unable to find out when rail traffic ended, the last flow being paper (Stora Enso) as mentioned. Deanside is also mentioned as a timber loading point but that was c1999-2000. Agree every freight yard needs an excuse for some steel traffic. How about BDAs delivering plate for onward transfer to BAE shipbuilders on the Clyde? 

Apparently the site was originally a WWII Canadian Airforce depot.

Alan

The Deanside Transit Depot was built in 1942 and was originally owned by the Clyde Navigation Trust, it was one of two in the area, the other being further up the branch at Breahead.  The site at Deanside also featured Bogmoor Road Storage Yard, which later was the site of Campbells Shieldhall Scrapyard in the 1960s

jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit

Drove past Deanside today (M8), tried to spot the 08 (not sure it’s still there), anyway I take it you are having a yellow 08?

Looks like an interesting project.

Neil

There was more than one 08 at Deanside. I recall my mate, no longer with us, who worked at Barclays in Kilmarnock telling me they had been called in to sort out one which slipped a crank causing ‘lumpy’ running. I think he said it was cheaper just to acquire another rather than repair!

Ian.

There was more than one 08 at Deanside. I recall my mate, no longer with us, who worked at Barclays in Kilmarnock telling me they had been called in to sort out one which slipped a crank causing ‘lumpy’ running. I think he said it was cheaper just to acquire another rather than repair!

Ian.

That is exactly what Dawson's of Middlesborough did when one of their 08s slipped a crank. They got another one.

C.

Lilac is the Russel Group "house colour". Mmmm... tasteful. Not!!!

Here's one of their double-deck, extended 15m trailers I used to haul, photographed at Tebay services at silly-o'clock in the morning a few years ago...

post-704-0-67862900-1537304362_thumb.jpg

• Like 1