Martin Williams also gave me a small gift.... a ticket from the last passenger train organised by the 'Stephenson Locomotive Society', hauled by 4645 and 8791.

post-24300-0-09692800-1546638389_thumb.jpg

I managed to pick one of the souvenir booklets from the said train a few years ago.

post-24300-0-95741300-1546638704_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 6

I've had another positive and interesting day spent with former signalman John Roberts and author Martin Williams. We have got to the bottom of a couple of things.....we think.

The 1.05pm Wrexham-Bala was an auto train until around 1960, so why it is shown in the 1957 Carriage Working as 'Van Second and Second' is a bit of a mystery, but I know which option I intend to go with.....auto train with a Brake Compo attached (a working which allowed for a BC to be attached for school children retuning home from Bala to Corwen). John had a couple of photos showing some interesting views of the said train from 1949. One photo shows the said train departing Bala with the 3.25pm....and with the auto coach leading, and two standard coaches behind......apparently the school train could be a bit of a rowdy affair!

Snowdonia looked magnificent this afternoon!

It certainly did at noon, when my daughter and I passed the Summit with the sun behind the crossing keeper’s cottage.

I had been telling her about your layout, and speculating about whether that euromillions win would be enough to get a 2’ gauge line through from Blaenau to Bala...

DSC05002.jpg

• Like 1

I've had another positive and interesting day spent with former signalman John Roberts and author Martin Williams. We have got to the bottom of a couple of things.....we think.

The 1.05pm Wrexham-Bala was an auto train until around 1960, so why it is shown in the 1957 Carriage Working as 'Van Second and Second' is a bit of a mystery, but I know which option I intend to go with.....auto train with a Brake Compo attached (a working which allowed for a BC to be attached for school children retuning home from Bala to Corwen). John had a couple of photos showing some interesting views of the said train from 1949. One photo shows the said train departing Bala with the 3.25pm....and with the auto coach leading, and two standard coaches behind......apparently the school train could be a bit of a rowdy affair!

Snowdonia looked magnificent this afternoon!

It certainly did at noon, when my daughter and I passed the Summit with the sun behind the crossing keeper’s cottage.

I had been telling her about your layout, and speculating about whether that euromillions win would be enough to get a 2’ gauge line through from Blaenau to Bala...

DSC05002.jpg

We possibly passed cars! I was parked up there at 1.15 giving Lass a run on the trackbed.

post-24300-0-22702500-1546642974_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Tom, I find this thread and your modelling very inspirational. The research and attention to detail is quite something. I have been a serial layout-starter recently, not seeing anything through, probably because I rush. Your measured, accurate approach is something I am aiming to emulate.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing Cwm Prysor and the other stations on the Bala branch appear.

• Like 2

Tom, I find this thread and your modelling very inspirational. The research and attention to detail is quite something. I have been a serial layout-starter recently, not seeing anything through, probably because I rush. Your measured, accurate approach is something I am aiming to emulate.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing Cwm Prysor and the other stations on the Bala branch appear.

Many thanks Chris!

I do get impatient myself....and at the moment I feel frustrated because I know how much I want to be able to operate Bala...now! However I know I need to be patient, it will happen and there is a lot to do before I get there. I think that's what keeps me focused and by turning my attention to things like rolling stock for example.

Speaking of which, tonight I started on another 16T. I'm using a photo of one standing in front of the Bala Good Shed as reference. I think this is a good starting point, and I'll continue working on it this week (whole wagon has had a wash with mucky thinners, but only this side has had any rust work.

post-24300-0-16723700-1546810266_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The strangest things turn up in the oddest places.

Down on the Golden Valley Railway, whilst its own allocated toad was in shops for “repairs”, is a Bala allocated replacement:

http://www.ewyaslacy.org.uk/doc.php?d=rs_gdv_0018 (picture 0001)

Of course, they appear to be standing in front of the number!

Not sure, but maybe the photo is in the Wild Swan book on the line?

The strangest things turn up in the oddest places.

Down on the Golden Valley Railway, whilst its own allocated toad was in shops for “repairs”, is a Bala allocated replacement:

http://www.ewyaslacy.org.uk/doc.php?d=rs_gdv_0018 (picture 0001)

Of course, they appear to be standing in front of the number!

Not sure, but maybe the photo is in the Wild Swan book on the line?

That is fascinating Simon! Martin Williams (co author of 'The Bala' book) messaged me earlier after seeing your post, also wondering why on earth it was down there. Looking at the Toad it looks to be the small Bala Toad I've modelled (I doubt Bala had more than one).

Although the photos are from before my period, it is a really interesting find! 

Looks good - have you seen the article on rusting mineral wagons in MRJ 267?

Just picked it up, very interesting article! I'm behind with my MRJs... thanks for reminding me I need to catch up!

Morning all!!

post-24300-0-31842700-1547019792.jpg

I thought this may be of interest. BFI footage of the last passenger train to Blaenau organised by the Stephenson Locomotive Society on Sunday 22nd January 1961.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-last-train-to-blaenau-22161-1961-online

15 second in, some very nice footage looking towards the goods yard and engine shed as 4645 and 8791 come in on the passenger line before crossing over the single slip.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I thought this may be of interest. BFI footage of the last passenger train to Blaenau organised by the Stephenson Locomotive Society on Sunday 22nd January 1961.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-last-train-to-blaenau-22161-1961-online

Superb footage, thanks for sharing that, most interesting.

• RMweb Gold

Lots of lovely detail.

For instance, 4645 has the early totem, and 8791 the later herald; look at the bridge baulks under the main and under the turnout for the bridge over the stream at Blaenau Ffestiniog; and the vertical transition curve from 1:50 to level.

These films, as well as their nostalgia value have so much to offer the keen observer.

Hi,

i tried to open the link with chrome browser and got this error:

Location not authorised

BFI Player films cannot be played outside of the UK

Error code: geo

Regards,

Bjoern

Hi Bjoern, coverage of the last train is also given in ‘Railway Roundabout’ of 1960 or thereabouts. You can access this on YouTube. Hope that helps, Dai

Hi Bjoern, coverage of the last train is also given in ‘Railway Roundabout’ of 1960 or thereabouts. You can access this on YouTube. Hope that helps, Dai

There are some good snippets of the branch on youtube.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

What a lot of steam! There is a fortune to be made if someone could successfully scale that! 

It'd have to be odourless and easy to clean up, but yes, this is the last great barrier that modern technology has to overcome.  It also has to 'chuff' 4 or 6 times as appropriate per driving wheel revolution, and go dark to simulate firing when the loco is working hard, then shut off altogether when it isn't!

• RMweb Gold

I had a Hornby 8750 when they came out. It was fitted with synchrosmoke. Being of tender years, I once decided to see what would happen if I put twice the recommended amount of smoke oil into the reservoir.

It overflowed. It went all over the chassis and the motor. When I applied power, a fair amount went into heating up the excess oil.

Result: excellent slow running and a great impression of a steam engine with open drain cocks and leaking valves!

The smoke chuffing out of the chimney was a bit naff, though, and merely covered the stock behind wth a thin patina of oil.

• Like 2

Further work on the 16T body. 

post-24300-0-39523500-1547158319_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-40883500-1547158327_thumb.jpg

Coming along nicely, but we aren't finished yet. I've some new techniques I'm going to be trialling on it later next week.

• Like 6

There are some good snippets of the branch on youtube.

A couple of great Videos there Tom, I've just bought back, my old O Gauge Ivatt 2MT for my None Bala, Bala Town, project, just needs renumbering as 41204, 6C from Croes Newydd from 64.

Loving this thread, and I hope to be back in Bala quite soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a Hornby 8750 when they came out. It was fitted with synchrosmoke. Being of tender years, I once decided to see what would happen if I put twice the recommended amount of smoke oil into the reservoir.

It overflowed. It went all over the chassis and the motor. When I applied power, a fair amount went into heating up the excess oil.

Result: excellent slow running and a great impression of a steam engine with open drain cocks and leaking valves!

The smoke chuffing out of the chimney was a bit naff, though, and merely covered the stock behind wth a thin patina of oil.

Once, when I were a lad, I had run out of smoke oil and didn't have enough pocket money to get any more, so I tried white spirit instead. Lovely black smoke but a foul stink and lots of mess.

• Like 1

Once, when I were a lad, I had run out of smoke oil and didn't have enough pocket money to get any more, so I tried white spirit instead. Lovely black smoke but a foul stink and lots of mess.

i used 3-in-1 oil which still worked but smelled terrible. I'm surprised I didn't choke the budgie.