Bizarre places you bought model railway equipment

ianmacc

• RMweb Gold

CTMK and I went into a National Trust shop at Widecombe-in-the-Moor quite a few years ago now and they were selling the etched replacement sides for the Ratio GWR 4-wheel coaches.

I didn't buy any.

I can't remember if they also sold the Ratio coach kits.

• Like 1

Bought a near mint copy of this for £14:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creating-Backscene-Railway-Modelling-Companion/dp/0711038422

from British Heart Foundation shop in Shanklin IoW yesterday.

Crikey, I never thought it could be so complicated.

And in a 'junk' shop a bit further down the road, a vgc boxed Weathered Dapol 'Fruit D' for £7.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

Over twenty years ago now, I made my last trip for work to Japan. Whilst I found the people very hospitable and welcoming, the trips had always been rather onerous, as I suffered badly from jet-lag and sitting in an office for over eight hours a day with people who smoked wasn't really fun.

So I decided to treat myself. It wasn't that many years before that the real estate value of the central square mile of Tokyo had exceeded that of the State of California, so I didn't expect to find things cheap. I was amazed to walk into a model shop in the Ginza and come out with two lovely Kato N gauge locos, mainline Japanese types, for under £60 in total!

This is very likely the Tenshodo store, which has been there forever. On the ground floor you can buy expensive watches, the upper floors are dedicated to model railways, including their own very pricey Japanese HO and N gauge, and the top floor is second hand, and it is despite the swank surroundings it's one of the cheapest in the Tokyo area. Picked up a couple of Kato EMU coaches the other day there for about 3 quid each. They ofter have a smattering of British OO too.

I've acquired a fair bit of British N gauge around Tokyo, some of it non-running Graham Farish locomotives at knock-down prices, which stay non-runners right up until the point I replace the split gears.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is very likely the Tenshodo store, which has been there forever. On the ground floor you can buy expensive watches, the upper floors are dedicated to model railways, including their own very pricey Japanese HO and N gauge, and the top floor is second hand, and it is despite the swank surroundings it's one of the cheapest in the Tokyo area. Picked up a couple of Kato EMU coaches the other day there for about 3 quid each. They ofter have a smattering of British OO too.

I've acquired a fair bit of British N gauge around Tokyo, some of it non-running Graham Farish locomotives at knock-down prices, which stay non-runners right up until the point I replace the split gears.

Pleased to hear that Tenshodo is still there. When I lived in Japan from about 1985 to 1999 I was a regular visitor to the shop. Used to have lunch at least once a week in the Foreign Correspondents Club (as a corporate member, not as a journalist!) a short walk away in Yurakucho and often managed to squeeze in a visit to Tenshodo on the way back to the office.

Climbing the stairs at the back of the shop got my first introduction to LGB locomotives which were on show in a large cabinet on the left as you climbed the stairs. Did not buy any LGB stuff there but started doing so when I got back to the UK...…..

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I bought a few locomotives on a market, in Kowloon, Hong Kong before now.

I bought some HO scale PRR loco from an rmwebber in Costa Coffee on my local high street once...

Looked like a proper deal going down... brown carton, the size of 200 ciggys, wrapped in a plastic bag, swapped for a bundle of 20’s..

Bizarre places you bought model railway equipment - NOT

last leg of our trip was in Valletta and I spotted this place. "Pace's Model Centre" which had a sign outside "Best tobacco in Valletta" and a very faded sign up high in window that promised "we also sell model trains "

Too tempting to pass by, I popped in. Most of the model stock looked like it'd been on the shelves for years but there were some interesting trucks / cars of UK origin in various scales that might be bargains to someone else.  Any "trains" were very well hidden and the guy was so busy with his main trade I didn't stop to inquire. Bizarre place that time seems to have passed by.

Baccy sign missing when this was taken.

post-26975-0-98715000-1540082959.png

Colin

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I bought some doggy Lima off a stand run by adb968008, does that count :jester:

Doggy ?

Did it bark or bite ?

All my models are potty trained, they only derail/stall in tunnels or hard to reach corners.

Edited by adb968008