Air Braked Class 25 Question

• RMweb Gold

Theres a list of the first 25 withdrawn on this page Phil

https://www.derbysulzers.com/class24detail.html

But not comprehensive....

IIRC Scottish examples of the early bodyshell 25/2s in the 7568-7596 and the late build 25/3s also come to mind

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Phil, I'm wondering if I have a excuse for one on the Western Region in the 1970's or early 1980's ?

There were a small number of 25’s allocated to the WR for your timescale although I am not certain how many had air brakes. In addition there were regular pairs on empty China clays 6V53 if I recall which went at least as far as Bristol. Again I question whether air braked locos were seen. I suggest you buy an old Platform 5 pocket book from EBay which started production in 1979 which will show both the Home Depot and braking capabilities

There were a small number of 25’s allocated to the WR for your timescale although I am not certain how many had air brakes. In addition there were regular pairs on empty China clays 6V53 if I recall which went at least as far as Bristol. Again I question whether air braked locos were seen. I suggest you buy an old Platform 5 pocket book from EBay which started production in 1979 which will show both the Home Depot and braking capabilities

The Ian Allan ABC volumes also show the braking types, the accompanying loco shed books have the depot allocations and pre-date Platform 5 if its earlier dates you need.

• RMweb Premium

From Ian Allan abc 1979, the following were dual braked

25/1s - 032-7, 044, 048-51, 053,4, 057-60, 064, 076,9 and 082

25/2s - 088,9, 095,7,9, 106,9, 113,7, 120, 145, 154,5, 173,5,8, 181-5, 189, 191,3,4, 196-207, 210-213, 218, 221,2,6, 228-247 except 238

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Don't remember any airbraked ones at Canton in the 70s, which was rubbing the salt into the wound a bit because we had them to replace Hymeks, much better engines in every possible respect and nicer to work aboard, because air brakes could not be fitted to Hymeks.  So vacuum braked locos were replaced as a matter of policy with less powerful and worse in every way vacuum braked locos.

Anyone who has had their spine shortened by a couple of inches on an hour run from Cardiff to Gloucester at 90mph with the Peterborough Parcels will know what I'm talking about, and you were deafened and frozen in the draught as well.  

• RMweb Gold

https://www.derbysulzers.com/laira.html

25048 / 25155 both dual braked late 70's allocated to Laira. Both body shell types as well.

Regards

Guy

25 155 arrived at Laira in 1977, the first dual-braked allocation. In 1978 several more dual-braked locos were allocated 25 048/057/058/206/207.

By Nov 1980, all 25s had departed the west country.

I'm wondering if I have a excuse for one on the Western Region in the 1970's or early 1980's ?

In earlier years there was also 25 032/154/155 at Ebbw Jct and Cardiff, dual-braked from 1974/75.

None of the Bristol allocation were dual-braked.

Edited by stovepipe

The point being that there was no need for air braked freight locos in the West Country until the early '80s as there were no dedicated ABN services. Any air braked wagons would have been placed behind vacuum braked wagons in a freight train and a guards van put on the back.

Edited by Flood

Thank you everyone for your contributions & my research is ongoing, thanks to your pointers I have come up with the following candidates & I am looking for more......

25032 dual braked in 1974, allocated to Cardiff in May 1974  

25048 dual braked in 1975, allocated to Laira 1978

25057 dual braked in 1974, allocated to Laira 1978

25058 dual braked in 1974, allocated to Laira 1978

25032 probably is my favorite at the moment as it would run alongside my Hydraulics circa 74 to 77

Hmmm hows about https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5143/5759093751_21402978dc_b.jpg

Hee hee another diesel dilemma! 

Was it a one side only mod? 

Phil 

It was only one side, as the additional air reservoirs that prevent access to air filters where only fitted at one side. also an additional access panel was fitted to the body side at no1 end.

Edited by 45125
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah

It was only one side, as the additional air reservoirs that prevent access to air filters where only fitted at one side. also an additional access panel was fitted to the body side at no1 end.

Ah cheers!

Phil

Hmmm hows about https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5143/5759093751_21402978dc_b.jpg

Hee hee another diesel dilemma! 

Was it a one side only mod? 

Phil 

As "45125" said.  The hinges and additional triangular panel were only one side on the dual brake ones.

Also don't forget that 25032 was one of the four that didn't have boilers and water tanks when built, but only that one out of 25029-32 received dual brakes.  The other oddity of the same shape was 25242 which subsequently lost it's boiler and water tanks.  I did hear once that it was partly to do with dual braking, that as D7592 the air brake equipment was to be put in the boiler room.  Not sure if "45125" can confirm this.  

Edited by Covkid

• RMweb Gold

I think some of the services into Exeter Riverside used air-braked wagons in the 70s. This purports to be 1975 but I'm doubtful.

9611942498_3728816a2e_o.jpgCowley Bridge Junction, Exeter by davelindsell, on Flickr

And with reason. The first wagon is of a type introduce in 1978, or thereabout, The second arrived in the early 1980s.

But there seems to be a working headcode, which suggests 1976 or earlier. And as said, 25s had gone by 1980. An intriguing picture to see anyway as I have an interest in the services in the Barnstaple line.

• RMweb Gold

The point being that there was no need for air braked freight locos in the West Country until the early '80s as there were no dedicated ABN services. Any air braked wagons would have been placed behind vacuum braked wagons in a freight train and a guards van put on the back.

Sorry, backtracking a bit: does anyone have any idea what hauled the UKF fertilizer trains to Lapford when first introduced? They were air braked, I know 47s handled the main line run to Truro and 31s took over on the Barnstaple line after 25s left, but is there any evidence of air braked 25s working that Lapford service?