Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

Here’s a question for those of you that build buildings 

As I am about to start on the construction of the large shed accommodation block...what material is good and sturdy, easy to cut and gives nice clean corners? I considered 3mm MDF but it goes fluffy when sanded

suggestions please

Hi, what l have used many times before is 2mm lite plywood, its easy to cut and you can use superglue to add 12mm x 12mm softwood battens for strength and double-sided tape to stick plasi-card walls etc etc works for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched your superb Video on replacing split gears on a Class 47.

The latest early edition 37 I've just bought has that problem by the sounds of it, but I'm taking one Motor out anyway, as I'm only using an OO Zimo Sound Chip. so the Video was really useful.:good:

Thanks.

A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Just watched your superb Video on replacing split gears on a Class 47.

The latest early edition 37 I've just bought has that problem by the sounds of it, but I'm taking one Motor out anyway, as I'm only using an OO Zimo Sound Chip. so the Video was really useful.:good:

Thanks.

A.

glad it was useful. It’s quite a popular video

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Hi Ian,

watched your Vid on the Grampus build and superb it looks too. Couple of questions if I may as I have two kits to build

What colour did you use, is it an olive?

and

How did you achieve the excellent battered look on the sides?

Kind regards

Julian.

yes, the green is just an olive green I had in my drawer from Humbrol, and the battered sides were created using a gas soldering iron flame carefully and quickly might I add, used to warm the plastic with the wagon on its side and a something on the floor of the wagon to shield it and then gently press it with my thumb and fingers as it cooled

Edited by 47606odin
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I know technically the signage for Hither Green was Trainload freight SouthEast, but I couldn’t find any photos of the originals, and as my layout is based around the construction sector, which did actually manage the depot, I have had these signs made for the layout, and for the room.

6E389DF5-62E4-4344-964C-BA234AF42F6B.jpeg.b0116eb3aea9bc80f8ac8c391e9f5016.jpeg

E8D404EB-F30E-4CB2-AE83-1011D6B4E7A7.jpeg.368da2652c358e1a9b9d3aaf34f59663.jpeg

• Like 11

On 08/03/2020 at 17:54, 47606odin said:

This image popped up on Facebook, and shows my peak wasn’t implausible 

B9807751-0497-4F58-A3C0-995DB255CAF0.png.1d71e90642e64f39043c68d983c7bb34.png

45108 in the other side of the shed at HG

Is 45108 on the HG pits for attentionto the pony wheelset?  Do you have a date for the photo?

• RMweb Premium

Cant pin it down any more precisely than between 76 and c80. Flicking through various books and online, they seemed to have been plated over quite promptly on the whole and domines didnt stick around long. Of course that doesnt prove when this one was - and I havent found a photo in that window.

10 hours ago, Pandora said:

Housekeeping at HG is not very good,  If your lights burn out , leave them,  half of the lights at the depot  are broken, appeals by safety reps for repairs fall on deaf ears

all the lights appear to be working 

• Like 1