Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

How does it compare to the one you did? Would be one of those rare occasions where I was desperate to find things wrong* with a new model!

Are the fuel tanks narrowed or the same? That's one job I haven't fancied doing due to the metal chassis.

*of the easily sorted variety!

narrowing of the fuel tanks is easy as it separates into different parts, meaning the mounting doesn’t get affected, however the tanks appear narrower, and the bolster springs are moved in. Still no exhauster the steps are spindly and I’ll need to replace them

the paint shades appear close to railmatch, however the construction logos are too dark, the black round the cab front should go to the handrails (050 being odd as it got repainted at Stratford), the cantrail stripe is in the wrong place and also incomplete.....plenty for me to tinker with without having to be a total respray, just need to work out how best to remove the sector logo as they are slightly bigger than the fox ones whose shade I like 

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

just need to work out how best to remove the sector logo as they are slightly bigger than the fox ones whose shade I like 

IPA or T cut on a cotton bud?

Might find fading it by partial abrasion plus weathering is easier than trying to completely remove it neatly, although would then still be larger. Nothing to lose trying that as can still go all the way later.

It also needs a coupling ding in the front!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

IPA or T cut on a cotton bud?

Might find fading it by partial abrasion plus weathering is easier than trying to completely remove it neatly, although would then still be larger. Nothing to lose trying that as can still go all the way later.

It also needs a coupling ding in the front!

I guessed at it would work. As long as I can take the edges off the logos then I can deal with the rest. I might try IPA as I’ve never used it

if the original had a dent, like 050, it will get one

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

I guessed at it would work. As long as I can take the edges off the logos then I can deal with the rest. I might try IPA as I’ve never used it

if the original had a dent, like 050, it will get one

I've used it a few times immersing the whole body and found the logos/numbers etc generally come off long before the main paint (which tends not to budge for days!) but obviously i wouldn't rely on that!

5 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I've used it a few times immersing the whole body and found the logos/numbers etc generally come off long before the main paint (which tends not to budge for days!) but obviously i wouldn't rely on that!

no, cotton bud will be how I do it. I don’t want the orange stripe to come off

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing more 33 action Ian. Hope the others turn up Ok, I often order stuff to come the other way and it seems to disappear once Australia post have got it on a plane!! Now a visiting Bag Pipe would look the part, you might be able to get some high level pipes out of Buzz models once he's got the ED kit sorted!

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Sorry to hear your still waiting for the 33's to arrive, I keep looking at that Blue Weathered one.

I'm sure they'll turn up soon mate.

if they don’t, Hattons have already stated they’ll sort out replacements. It’s just time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t see any discernible difference, but I know the OO versions changed shape when they got redone. The O gauge ones weren’t flat so no reason to change them

1CBC17EF-D947-4E39-8A47-9BB4EBE052E8.jpeg.cea8b0680f2968a6aa0e3e15bae34d84.jpeg

471AF72D-171A-478B-9019-FEF68837CB77.jpeg.b28a116d5565f014f1f4b84192944a77.jpeg

CB099B5E-40EB-4B5C-AD3A-0F830AF8A4C6.jpeg.87102ca769e34ecde8dcfa432cfe93de.jpeg

and no, still no sign of the others, DPD are unhelpful, and Hattons won’t send replacements until DPD declare them as lost

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well, the class 33 saga continues.....they have been located and are now back in Australia. Hooray! Well no

and now the new problem....

despite being ordered separately and seperate postage paid, the items are actually in the same box. Well that is good you say, well no, that’s a complete disaster, as now they are held in customs because they have now been valued at $1465 which means I am now being charged $95 handling fees, by a customs agent, plus taxes and duties because they are now over the $1000 duty free threshold 

and I haven’t received any reduction of shipping costs as they are now one package, not 2 as paid for. There is a reason I order things separately and this is it.

happy, far from it :mad_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 5

That extra cost should be picked up by the shipper [?Hattons?] as they didn't follow your instructions.

Not only lost but delayed then found now held in customs because they are over the duty free threshold.

Oh glum.

Chin up.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, 47606odin said:

despite being ordered separately and seperate postage paid, the items are actually in the same box. Well that is good you say, well no, that’s a complete disaster, as now they are held in customs because they have now been valued at $1465 which means I am now being charged $95 handling fees, by a customs agent, plus taxes and duties because they are now over the $1000 duty free threshold 

Always pains me when I order from Oz, the threshold coming this way is even lower, anything over c$80 gets hit with 20% plus c$20 handling. I suppose our handling fees are better. I've got two Victorian HO B class loco's coming this way if they ever leave China!

Al.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Barnaby said:

That extra cost should be picked up by the shipper [?Hattons?] as they didn't follow your instructions.

Not only lost but delayed then found now held in customs because they are over the duty free threshold.

Oh glum.

Chin up.

Hattons are saying they shipped separately which means they are pointing their fingers at DPD and washing their hands of it.

Considering shifting my allegiance of retailer after this

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

Hattons are saying they shipped separately which means they are pointing their fingers at DPD and washing their hands of it.

Considering shifting my allegiance of retailer after this

We at least you will be able to tell once they arrive, as both boxes inside should be packed, labelled and priced as separate postages if Hattons are right.

• Like 1

Do you know what the duty free policy is? Is it levied per item or per shipment? You may be able to pay up and claim it back. I had to do this with something from the US to UK once, but it took about 3-4 months to settle and was a lot of hassle. I feel your pain.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, class27 said:

Do you know what the duty free policy is? Is it levied per item or per shipment? You may be able to pay up and claim it back. I had to do this with something from the US to UK once, but it took about 3-4 months to settle and was a lot of hassle. I feel your pain.

Duty free is $1000 per shipment. unfortunately, someone has combined 2 shipments and lodged it as one shipment with customs

Are you able to visit the holding depot and open it in their presence showing them to be separately packaged, that's if they haven't been unpacked and repacked?

Ian you said a few posts back that "they are back in Australia now" do you have a paper trail for where they went, if so that would also show they were separate deliveries at some point and it was the returning poster who combined them to re-ship?

Mind you it does sound all too involved and maybe it will be just easier to pay up and get the 2 locos and put it down to a life experience and get your modelling life back on track.

It's enough to de-rail your hobby.

Best

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Are you able to visit the holding depot and open it in their presence showing them to be separately packaged, that's if they haven't been unpacked and repacked?

Ian you said a few posts back that "they are back in Australia now" do you have a paper trail for where they went, if so that would also show they were separate deliveries at some point and it was the returning poster who combined them to re-ship?

Mind you it does sound all too involved and maybe it will be just easier to pay up and get the 2 locos and put it down to a life experience and get your modelling life back on track.

It's enough to de-rail your hobby.

Best

the holding depot is over 4000km away, so I won’t get to see them until it arrives. I have sent the individual order and packing notices, but it won’t make any difference. One item has no tracking info at all, but the consignment has 2 items

• Friendly/supportive 3

Well, a further update on this long drawn out class 33 saga, I have received an email from the customs agent advising that my locos have been released. Having had 5 emails from the clearing agent, requesting my documents of which I already supplied after the first email, I had no index what the clearing agent was doing.

What I still don’t know is whether they have accepted my items are single and below he threshold or weather I still will receive a ransom note from them.

All this has really sapped my modelling mojo

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

Well, a further update on this long drawn out class 33 saga, I have received an email from the customs agent advising that my locos have been released. Having had 5 emails from the clearing agent, requesting my documents of which I already supplied after the first email, I had no index what the clearing agent was doing.

What I still don’t know is whether they have accepted my items are single and below he threshold or weather I still will receive a ransom note from them.

All this has really sapped my modelling mojo

Chin up. They may be pragmatic given the evidence. Just out of interest are things generally more or less bureaucratic over there?

4 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Chin up. They may be pragmatic given the evidence. Just out of interest are things generally more or less bureaucratic over there?

there is plenty of bureaucracy here, but when it comes to import taxes, the government is lazy and expects everyone else to do the work for them. The system the government set up in relation to GST (equivalent to VAT) for goods below $1000 is unworkable, which is why Hattons don’t add the GST value on. They started to, but it wasn’t practicable. 

• Informative/Useful 1