Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have hit a wall mojo wise, so I apologise if things seem to have slowed down a bit

things are happening on the home life front, which will see situations change in life in this regard in the future, and happenings in the work front which is draining my enthusiasm a lot at the moment pushing HG into the background 

issues with the class 60 chip meant it has been returned to the uk, which was also frustrating and luckily didn’t cause any real damage to the loco, but the potential was there. However, the chip has been replaced and an additional one is on its way for my other 60 too, along with another chip for a new arrival, which will mean a new little project which will be revealed soon.

i need to wire up my friends E11 blaster so I can get that off the bench, it’s been gathering dust for far too long and I need to continue to sell my OO stock to make room in my room. I can still barely move in my modelling room and I think I might abandon my mini 009 project for now and box that up, it’s just in the way and causes me aggravation every time I want to get to something.

things have arrived in the post, my varigirder sections to I can make my additional roof beams, and the 3D printed water tank sections so that will be something I can get on with when I can summon up some enthusiasm 

i need to recharge my batteries I think

Edited by 47606odin
  • Friendly/supportive 9

10 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well, I have hit a wall mojo wise, so I apologise if things seem to have slowed down a bit

It will come back, we all hit walls. I'm struggling also at the min too, just managing the odd bit here and there.  I find little and often seems to help. then when I do a little bit of something I'll sometimes get the motivation to do a bit more!

I've got one review sample is done (which is waiting to be uploaded on the MIOG page) and there are four more wagons I am finally getting through the paint shop, but that is about it. Due to various reasons there has not been anything done on our new layout, but there will hopefully be some developments over the next few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, D6775 said:

It will come back, we all hit walls. I'm struggling also at the min too, just managing the odd bit here and there.  I find little and often seems to help. then when I do a little bit of something I'll sometimes get the motivation to do a bit more!

I've got one review sample is done (which is waiting to be uploaded on the MIOG page) and there are four more wagons I am finally getting through the paint shop, but that is about it. Due to various reasons there has not been anything done on our new layout, but there will hopefully be some developments over the next few weeks.

it can be a struggle when there’s a big part of the project to do, I’ll be happy once I get the tank built along with the office block

• Like 4

Chin up Ian real life needs does seem to come along and FUBAR the modelling world an a far to regular basis.

I'm in a similar pickle but have started to re-gain my MOJO again. :yahoo:

Best.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My modelling generally comprises around 8 hours of contemplation/procrastination, much of which is spent on here seeing if anything has changed since i last looked. Then late afternoon (around now in fact) i start, get into it and then have to stop just as i was getting going.

I've noticed this is appreciably worse when I have work the next day. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, 47606odin said:

i need to recharge my batteries I think

3 hours ago, D6775 said:

Hi Ian and Al, really sorry to hear about the Mojo issue, but I have the same at the moment, I have a couple of hundred photos of SMS and you may notice I post one or two a day, and that is because nothing NEW is being done on the Layout. My problems comes from enjoying the build, but  now I have no more room for more scenics, and no room in The Pit of Doom to expand, I too have hit that wall.

I hope you both get it back soon, my answer is a small OO project that I'm currently looking at.

Ian, I've also done a deal with the Toothpaste 33, I didn't realise how late it was re painted, so I'm currently waiting for a Railfreight Red Stripe 31, and that should fit better with the 20 and 56 in Railfreight Large Logo.

All the best, stay safe and keep well, and I hope the Mojo and Home / Work issues get resolved soon.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

it can be a struggle when there’s a big part of the project to do, I’ll be happy once I get the tank built along with the office block

Big part of projects can feel overwhelming! But you're already part way there, Break it down into more manageable bits, as you've alluded to, do the tank, then do the office block. I've found with some of the bogie wagons I have built, the whole things is somewhat overwhelming but I get so far and get stuck so do something else, quite often I'll make the bogies! With our new layout there is loads to do so I'm trying to break it down, I've a small piece of board to do some gardens, however I am waiting some bits so that is also on hold!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Ian,

Hope it all works out well in the end. I went through a divorce and found the modelling a life savour especially during the lock down period.

The wall we hit varies in height at times but its how we scale it, get back up, brush ourselves off and crack on.

Family is the first priority as you know and my family like many others provide regular challenges that I try to sort out sometimes with success sometimes not, a bit like modelling!

The mojo will return Im sure and you'll be back as I and Im sure many others certainly miss your inspirational modelling regular updates and your vids!

Best wishes for the future.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks guys for the morale boosting posts, they are appreciated.

I'm not going away, just need a refresh, and those who subscribe to my YouTube channel will see I went on a little whale watching trip today, ironically, the whales we saw were directly opposite my house

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I went on a little whale watching trip today, ironically, the whales we saw were directly opposite my house

Well if that doesn't blow the old mojo into getting on with some modelling nothing will.

Fantastic trip Ian watching some care free whales splashing about, great.

Best

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I went on a dolphin trip in New Zealand where you got a free tip if you didnt see anything. Needless to say it was grey and cold and after an hour of nothing, one fin appeared briefly as we re entered the harbour.

Is there a radiocontrolledfishweb?! I should check...

• Funny 2

Hi,

I find my momentum for modelling is maintained by having at least 3 things on the go at once. I work on something until I hit a snag or feel fatigue rising then move onto one of the other things. While I'm working on that one I'm head-scratching the issue with the previous project.

Love the Hither Green shed build by the way. I went in there on a course (class 47 training I think) back in the late 80's or around 1990 when the Depot had been allocated most of the work transporting concrete sections for the Channel Tunnel project. They'd just lost quite a bit of Kent coal traffic and Isle of Grain was their mainstay of work ISTR. 

ATB

Cheers

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Hi, hoping for some class 33 help please! The back of the cab is different at each end - one has a door in the middle and one on the left. I cant remember which goes at which end?

Thanks

The door in the centre is in no1 end so you can walk under the radiator ducting down the middle 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 47606odin said:

The door in the centre is in no1 end so you can walk under the radiator ducting down the middle 

Excellent thanks! Yes now you say that I should have realised the body side radiators would be smack in the way of a side corridor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodyfox said:

No2 end had an exhauster for the vac brake just behind the cab door. When changing ends you always held onto loose clothing otherwise it got sucked onto the filthy grill. 

perhaps that’s why they didn’t last long in Scotland, as we know, loose things under a kilt would be especially susceptible :D

• Funny 3

Well, here’s a side project to Hither Green, (Eastleigh East Yard to Ludgershall) whilst I try to get my mojo back.
I will be recreating the train below which I worked with my mentor driver, as seen in the photos. I bought Hattons last EWS 37, a couple of their warwells, I have the van already. 
So the question is to those who have modified their 37’s (of which I said I would never get one because of the body issues) I need some bits. High impact centre window frames, headboard brackets (?) and ovaloid buffers.
Also Meldon Quarry Centenery nameplates.
Any suggestions of where I can get those parts would be appreciated so I can get this project on the move

272097D5-14AA-4903-A349-C71ABF06E894.jpeg.3a32d1b7c8760de2f1f6942dffce0c3a.jpeg

8B9F0AB2-0BBD-443F-985E-FE339E2F23CC.jpeg.05df710ab531191c8a67e32f9c64a748.jpeg

AB55DF6A-4373-45D4-8AAB-68C2B6A51601.jpeg.b2c365267cfa941f0c18645b8c54783f.jpeg

0CF20977-C5A3-4092-AF8F-2A46B5EF196F.jpeg.bb1e49db7b2f5667d23d5ee4f374e1fd.jpeg

E8D6FA3E-BEFC-476A-943D-AC427FE0AEB5.jpeg.3f52a202f121dd55368d92e75363a10c.jpeg

• Like 5

Just found this thread. What a delight. Beautiful standard of modelling and as a professional railwayman (who started in 1984); really captured the look of the late 80s, early 90s - taken me right back. Well done. 

I’m sure you’ll re-establish your modelling MOJO; I lost mine for about 8 weeks - pressure of work; good weather encouraging me onto my bike; family pressures. 

Really like the pictures of you on the tractor at what looks like Andover - late 90s early 2000s I’m guessing before end of EWS 37s. Paul 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Devonbelle said:

Just found this thread. What a delight. Beautiful standard of modelling and as a professional railwayman (who started in 1984); really captured the look of the late 80s, early 90s - taken me right back. Well done. 

I’m sure you’ll re-establish your modelling MOJO; I lost mine for about 8 weeks - pressure of work; good weather encouraging me onto my bike; family pressures. 

Really like the pictures of you on the tractor at what looks like Andover - late 90s early 2000s I’m guessing before end of EWS 37s. Paul 

it was 10/02/2004. Up until the end of 2003 from 1987 I’d been on the tools and finally took the jump to the footplate at Eastleigh then Hoo Junction. The first photo is waiting line clear on the test valley line just outside Redbridge and yes, the rest are at Andover running round

• Like 2

Hi Ian, Who was your mentor driver he looks familiar. 

I bought some nameplates from a guy on Ebay if you search 7mm nameplates you should find him vincenzosolutions.

Cheers Peter.

1 minute ago, P.C.M said:

Hi Ian, Who was your mentor driver he looks familiar. 

I bought some nameplates from a guy on Ebay if you search 7mm nameplates you should find him vincenzosolutions.

Cheers Peter.

my mentor was Banko, and yes, I have been pointed in that direction for the plates, and luckily he does the window frames too