Hither Green TMD project Chunnel and Workbench

47606odin

• RMweb Premium

Really nicely done. Not tempted to make one an 09?

Good comparison of the wasp stripes - the backs are much the same but something odd going on at the front on the right hand one, which is also how the original Dapol batch that I have looked. The very top stripe seems to change direction and get steeper above the radiator. I think I'll live with it but if I get a chance to pick up a later one, I might weather and then sell on the first.

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Really nicely done. Not tempted to make one an 09?

Good comparison of the wasp stripes - the backs are much the same but something odd going on at the front on the right hand one, which is also how the original Dapol batch that I have looked. The very top stripe seems to change direction and get steeper above the radiator. I think I'll live with it but if I get a chance to pick up a later one, I might weather and then sell on the first.

Its an optical illusion. The stripes are painted before the radiator is fitted, and are actually straight from what I can tell.

the issue is Selhurst had most of the early 09’s whilst Chart Leacon had mostly the later ones. Therefore the issue is where the compressor boxes are. If it was a chart loco, then I’d stick 09 on it, but it’s a Selhurst 08 as the compressor boxes are right

4 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

The 08s are looking great Ian. Here is one of 08854 having a Sunday out at Brockenhurst on a P way working.

Cheers Peter.

img838 (2).jpg

thanks. I’ve seen a photo of it from the other platform. Considering how far it is from Eastleigh and Southampton area, I just wonder why it’s out in a possession. Obviously at this time it was EH allocated

6 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

thanks. I’ve seen a photo of it from the other platform. Considering how far it is from Eastleigh and Southampton area, I just wonder why it’s out in a possession. Obviously at this time it was EH allocated

Only time I have ever seen an 08 at Brockenhurst though they did do a change over now and then from Bournemouth to EH and back overnight. 

18 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Only time I have ever seen an 08 at Brockenhurst though they did do a change over now and then from Bournemouth to EH and back overnight. 

personally not a loco I’d want to be sat on for hours on end in a block. They were okay pottering around a yard, but you can’t get that comfortable in them

21 hours ago, 47606odin said:

personally not a loco I’d want to be sat on for hours on end in a block. They were okay pottering around a yard, but you can’t get that comfortable in them

I imagine the crew would have been in the office drinking tea with the station master the office is just by the loco.

Had a bit of a snooze in the cab of a class 47 once, and having been in a few class 60s I would imagine they would be quite comfortable.

10 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

I imagine the crew would have been in the office drinking tea with the station master the office is just by the loco.

Had a bit of a snooze in the cab of a class 47 once, and having been in a few class 60s I would imagine they would be quite comfortable.

I could never get comfortable for more than 20 minutes. My legs would hurt and wake me up.

the best thing I found to sleep on was an MPV. Flat desk and seats that laid right back

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

I couldn’t got to model rail Scotland, so went train spotting 

That’s a well applied backscene. Reminds me of the view from the former Manchester South Junction and Altrincham Railway in Timperley and Sale. There may or may not be a fleeting glimpse of it in this footage.

• Like 1

A constructive day today…

built the end of the shed. MDF and styrene, a bit of Varigirder. It looks good. The brickwork is purely my own design, ie, there’s no pictures I have found of this corner of the shed, I’ve put a double door in as it goes directly outside. 
the concrete wall has been modelled from photos. The single door on the left is the gents I believe, and the other door in a photo is just boarded up. I’ll be doing that I think to demonstrate the run down nature of the building 

however, I don’t know what the beams in the wall are. They appear to be concrete, but what they are supporting, I don’t know

AB1329A2-276D-407F-B844-2A787D55C7F5.jpeg.ccf97e3ca6d3d0a417c8e7e9f2a3b188.jpeg

C243063E-B21A-4649-8319-E31E86220665.jpeg.dbc874e277011100cd2442013f6da755.jpeg

• Like 4