Emergency Help Points

richscylla

• RMweb Gold

I remember them being in SE London around '99/'00, can't remember seeing much before that point, but it is possible they came in at the last years of BR perhaps.

I was responsible for procuring their installation on the Marston Vale - subject to the telecom links being available - in 1998/9. They were a Franchise Commitment for Silverlink.

We've had them on the Tyne and Wear Metro since it opened in 1980, They come in two forms - something similar in concept though not appearance to that shown, and in addition a big red button in the Section 12 stations. 

• RMweb Premium

More commonly referred to within the industry as Passenger Help Points. I'm not certain when the first one appeared on a BR station, but the requirements for the provision of them at BR stations was enhanced post Kings Cross fire of 1987. The issue of a Code of Practice in 1992 (TDGEN96), although not naming PHPs specifically, required the provision (at least one per platform) of a 'telephone facility' for use by the public in an emergency at 17 underground stations (what were referred to as Section 12 stations in the Fire Precautions (Sub Surface Railway Stations) Regulation 1989) and 5 sub-surface stations. Since then of course, many surface stations have been provided with them due to other 'risk assessment' considerations.

LU had them on their stations long before the KX fire, but again, I don't know any specific date - but I'll try and find out.

More commonly referred to within the industry as Passenger Help Points. I'm not certain when the first one appeared on a BR station, but the requirements for the provision of them at BR stations was enhanced post Kings Cross fire of 1987. The issue of a Code of Practice in 1992 (TDGEN96), although not naming PHPs specifically, required the provision (at least one per platform) of a 'telephone facility' for use by the public in an emergency at 17 underground stations (what were referred to as Section 12 stations in the Fire Precautions (Sub Surface Railway Stations) Regulation 1989) and 5 sub-surface stations. Since then of course, many surface stations have been provided with them due to other 'risk assessment' considerations.

LU had them on their stations long before the KX fire, but again, I don't know any specific date - but I'll try and find out.

I seem to recall the underground Merseyrail stations received them before Kings Cross happened.

I think it was more just a button you pressed and you could talk to the person in the ticket office. Nothing sophisticated.

Jason