The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

TV Licence Refunds - New Scam

Danemouth

Received this email this evening, a scam I hadn't seen before and like most of them just a bit obvious - can you imagine them starting an email with "Hi". Needless to say the link points to a scam site. Have reported it to Action Fraud

Dave

post-7048-0-22540800-1538335882_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-22540800-1538335882_thumb.jpg

Add "Your Amazon Account " and "Your Virgin Account" are suspended to the list from this weeks email I have received.

Basically  ignore anything with the slightest financial connection therein.

I now work on the theory if it don't work, wait for a letter from the company concerned and NEVER click on any link supplied.

• RMweb Premium

Should they not be refunding people anyway for all of the crap shown on telly over the years?

But if you don't have a funding system for the BBC, you end up with the recent debacle here on the ABC, with CEO & Chairman of the board, both departing in a week.

Caused by political claims of bias and budget cuts and future cuts threatened, if they don't sack reporters for not being a government mouthpiece. A prime cause was, a PM (Tony Abbott) who said immediately before his election that, 'There will be no cuts to the ABC' and promptly did!

But if you don't have a funding system for the BBC, you end up with the recent debacle here on the ABC, with CEO & Chairman of the board, both departing in a week.

Caused by political claims of bias and budget cuts and future cuts threatened, if they don't sack reporters for not being a government mouthpiece. A prime cause was, a PM (Tony Abbott) who said immediately before his election that, 'There will be no cuts to the ABC' and promptly did!

The thing with the ABC business is that it's obviously been happening for years but this time the chairman was stupid enough to put it in writing.

If the BBC is as good as the BBC claims to be, then it would have absolutely no problem standing on its own two feet in the free market.

For those who say "ah, but it would be full of adverts", my reply would be that it already is. Adverts for the BBC.

Haven't had a telly in 12 years, and nor do I want one!

I acknowledge that it often makes some good stuff, but I don't buy into the mantra that it's good "because of the unique way in which the BBC is funded".

I do catch telly occasionally at work or when visiting family, but I'm usually happier when it's switched off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the BBC is as good as the BBC claims to be, then it would have absolutely no problem standing on its own two feet in the free market.

For those who say "ah, but it would be full of adverts", my reply would be that it already is. Adverts for the BBC.

Haven't had a telly in 12 years, and nor do I want one!

If you haven't got a telly how do you know that ?

If you haven't got a telly how do you know that ?

Because if you read my last sentence, I said that I have occasional access to one.

I realise this is taking us further OT (apologies) but what drew me to the thread were the words 'TV licence' and 'scam', a fair assessment IMHO.

Trying to steer it back here, but while most people would probably spot a scam email a mile off, there will always be those who don't and I'll wager that it's generally elderly people who are more likely to fall for these. Generally speaking, I'd assume that older folk aren't as web-wise as the youngsters and if the scammers manage to con 1 in 25 then they've hit the jackpot, sadly.

I've mentioned 419 scammers on here before, sadly they appear to becoming more sophisticated over time.

• RMweb Gold

Because if you read my last sentence, I said that I have occasional access to one.

Ok, missed that bit.

I just did a quick count and those we know and keep in contact with around the world (8 of 9) all say that if you want to moan about the BBC we should try their providers first, I know 3 of them have dishes/providers that give access to BBC and they say the quality of programmes is superior.

I'm not fussed about TV and cherry pick just a few programmes each week to watch. But if you want to criticise the BBC I suggest you watch ITV and Ch 5 first as a comparison for how low the bar is set.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering if having a touch screen might be a danger. On my computer I can hover the cursor over a questionable bit and see the address but I don't see a way to do that on my iPad or my wife's telephone without invoking the address.  She had a text message today that looked fishy (or phishy) but we aren't sophisticated enough to get rid of it.

• RMweb Premium

The volume and quality of programmes the BBC produces (even if only say 10% of it interests me) is IMHO worth every penny of the licence fee, but each to their own of course.

I wouldn't go that far, and maybe I'm just getting grumpier over time but I've been getting more unimpressed as time goes on. I'll certainly admit it's easier to miss the good when I hardly ever turn the TV on though. But that said I've not seen any other channels anywhere else that aren't worse. The BBC might push its own programmes a lot but at least it doesn't exist just to intrude sales in to your house.
  • Like 1

You indicate amusement 'Orse,

tail-end Charlie news on R2 this avo reported some Student Union has requested audiences at lectures demonstrate "jazz hands" in place of applause, lest hand clapping brings an uncomfortable audio cacophony to those with environmental spectrum difficulties.

A noble act, undoubtedly, I'm all about catering for all. But a venue disclaimer of "applause likely" would do, wouldn't it?!

C6T.

• Like 1