Dapol O Gauge Stroudley 4 Wheel Coaches

steam-driven boy

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Mentioned in passing, understandably, on two N Gauge forums after the Dapol Open Day, very interesting prospect.

I'd guess there would also be an interest in Dapol 'shrink-raying' them down  to OO and N - I would certainly be up for O and N...

Regards, Gerry.

Edited by steam-driven boy

Hello.

Definitely announced, with prototype pictures and the comment "to give the Terriers something to pull".  Someone asked if they had thought about doing them in OO.  Richard Webster's answer was to the effect of "no, but since you've mentioned it...." which didn't actually commit them to doing more than thinking about it.

Les

I hope they do a "saloon" as these could, in principle, turn up anywhere.

Indeed, in the LBSC carriage books (excellent read and highly recommended) is a reference to a whole bunch of them running north from Marylebone one Cup Final day.

Any road, if a saloon is produced, I'll be having one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some confirmation in Dapol's Neil Morrlle's column in the April BRM

"The next UK production project is simmering away nicely on the R&D burner with CADs being drawn up to make the necessary tools to produce O gauge four-wheel Stroudley coaches that will compliment the multi award winning Dapol Terrier......"

Great news :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Nice to see Dapol progress with these. Some carriages were an obvious next step in developing their 0 gauge range. I'll be interested in seeing what kind of price they come in at. I would imagine they might be a similar price as the Terrier itself given the recent discounts that have been offered on the loco!! 

• RMweb Gold

I overheard them telling a chap at Ally Pally that they were doing them this year but as we are already a quarter of the way in it’s going to be late this year at the earliest I’d guess.  

• Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I overheard them telling a chap at Ally Pally that they were doing them this year but as we are already a quarter of the way in it’s going to be late this year at the earliest I’d guess.  

At the earliest I would imagine. After all, Dapol have quite a lot on the 0 gauge agenda for this year - the Sentinel, 14xx, another run of BR wagons, the DMU - so I don't know how high up the agenda these will be. 

I don't know much about the prototypes, but I expect there will be a brake and composite(?) amongst the items proposed? 

• RMweb Premium

The Stroudley coaches look to be tooled and made in Chirk, like the current Gauge 0 wagons which are excellent. Chirk has a faster turnaround than the China factory so later in 2019 may be possible.

Dava

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

IIRC there were 5 types. 

D30 4 compartment first class

D31  4 compartment composite 2 first class 2 second class

D32  5 compartment  third class

D33  5 compartment second class (externally the same as D32)

D34  3 compartment brake third

This is from memory. Happy to be corrected by someone with better knowledge

• Informative/Useful 2

Are these the ones that are going to be produced by Dapol or the ones that are currently available as kits from Roxey Mouldings? There are alot more diagrams out there than these I hope that they aren't going to just duplicate whats already out there.

Marc

On 01/04/2019 at 08:52, GNR Dave said:

IIRC there were 5 types. 

D30 4 compartment first class

D31  4 compartment composite 2 first class 2 second class

D32  5 compartment  third class

D33  5 compartment second class (externally the same as D32)

D34  3 compartment brake third

This is from memory. Happy to be corrected by someone with better knowledge

Thanks, that's really useful. How long did they remain in 'main line' use? I expect they will be very popular with folk modelling light railways. 

Disappearing fast by grouping, the last 4 wheelers were withdrawn around 1924 and the 6 wheelers 1928.

A few lingered on in use on the Isle of Wight until 1931 and in the Lancing Bell Works train until 1930.

Pete

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1