Dapol O Gauge Stroudley 4 Wheel Coaches

steam-driven boy

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2023 at 16:39, Adrian Stevenson said:

Southern Railway versions

I think these look absolutely beautiful. But if I buy them I'm going to need a Southern Terrier to go with them :o

and it's getting difficult to hide these things from the missus...

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that Rails have sets of 3 of the the Surburban teak ones for £199 at the moment.

https://railsofsheffield.com/search?q=7p-020-club&_kx=Yw3UC371uE2Oe8jrs-17ngaJMHhpv6SKgVIqw-6VVySVnrG8X69SMPnOriPnxyzR.RXkVMS&utm_campaign=Stroudley Coach Packs&utm_id=01HE8EQV1B1901TN9CHWMZ7KQ7&utm_medium=campaign&utm_source=Klaviyo

I always find it frustrating when browsing models to figure out when each livery applies (as I'm no expert in that field) - I think they are pre 1899 as the number is inside the garter.

Luckily for my bank ballance, I don't think they match my Marsh Brown Terrier, Fenchurch which I think is post 1905.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a look at some or the suburban coaches and as they are unfitted they are only suitable for running pre1885 and the IEG livery Terriers are in a form that dates them between 1885 and 1897. 

So if you have Terriers then you need the mainline coaches.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

"Era 2 1875-1922". I was amused to reflect that, with both these carriages (in their hand-brake-only form) and the Terriers dating from the early seventies, they could equally validly be branded "Era 1 1804 - 1874"!

Terriers available in IEG from Dapol were only in there form they are in for a window of 1880-1895. And for box hill that window is even smaller 1888-1895. The coaches on offer are in there pre-1880 form as they don't have the Westinghouse brakes. The main line coaches are correct but they aren't on offer.

This is the reason that my Scratchy Bottom layout is currently being rebuilt so it reflects 1888-1895. Before this date Box wasn't built and after this date the condensing gear was removed. Also if modelling per1880 Westinghouse brakes would need to be removed. 

Marc

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm new to this thread, but I have some questions as someone who has recently started in O Gauge and is quite keen on these coaches.

- I've read that prototypically these coaches were in sets of 8 - 11 coaches. Is that indeed the case for every single coach for the entirety of their lives?....or were some put into smaller sets of 3 or 4 coaches? I only ask because whenever I have seen these on layouts, they're usually in sets of no more than 4 coaches, or is this a case of 'Rule 1' because of space/cost limitations?

- What is the story behind the Olive Green ones that are soon to be released? Can anyone shed any light on when and where they were used? And whether they ran in smaller sets as above?

Thanks very much.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MarcD said:

There is evidence of them running in small rakes B3rd-comp-B3rd on branchlines. 

The classic early (pre-continuous brakes) photo of such a set with Terrier 'Poplar' that Dapol have used in their advertising was taken at Selsden Road North Signal Box, near Croydon. So not exactly a bucolic Sussex byway,

19 minutes ago, MarcD said:

As for the olive green coaches they would be post 1923. The ones lasting longest were those sent to the IOW.

Am I right in thinking that it was only carriages transferred the Isle of Wight that survived long enough to receive Southern livery?

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The classic early (pre-continuous brakes) photo of such a set with Terrier 'Poplar' that Dapol have used in their advertising was taken at Selsden Road North Signal Box, near Croydon. So not exactly a bucolic Sussex byway,

Am I right in thinking that it was only carriages transferred the Isle of Wight that survived long enough to receive Southern livery?

Yes ditto, I thought I'd read recently that the Stroudley 4 wheelers didn't carry over into Grouping on the mainland. A quick Google and Roxey Mouldings say that two sets went to IoW while the rest were scrapped by Grouping. See here: https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/70/4c60-26ft-four-wheel-brake-third/ One of the other Roxey coaches says some also went to Lancing for a while. 

Looks like I may have to exercise the old Rule 1 then.

Edited by Olive_Green1923
  • Like 1