East London Line

• RMweb Premium

The NLL is still DC at the Richmond end, so the new NLL units need to be dual voltage. West London Line also has a voltage change north of the Westway.

Both the WLL and NLL stock are dual voltage but the ELL stock are DC third rail only.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

The NLL is still DC at the Richmond end, so the new NLL units need to be dual voltage. West London Line also has a voltage change north of the Westway.

Yes, Acton Central at the west end of the NLL I think. At least there, like Camden Road, the traction changeover happens at rest. On the WLL, the Mitre Bridge change often used to happen on the move with the 313s - but I don't think the rolling stock engineers were very happy about it! No doubt the new stock allows for such things?

• 1 month later...

Here is a view of the old Shoreditch ELL station, now largely obliterated by the new line.

I have no idea whether the vantage point is still accessible (probably not).

Old Shoreditch station.

The new Shoreditch High Street station is on the far side of the GE line out of Liverpool Street.

(Old job hat on)

The old vantage point no longer exists. The Pedley Street arches, from where that shot is taken, were demolished in June/ July 2007 to make way for the lay-up point for the new GE19 bridge, and later this area became the approach viaduct from Bratley Street, where the new ELL breaks through 'at grade' with the surrounding topography.

Parts of this area are now landscaped to blend the old site with Allen Gardens which is the large green space to the left of the photo. Demolition and fill of the old station were completed by 2008, with just the booking hall in Pedley Street at the corner of Code Street surviving. At one stage this was earmarked for community use, but I am unsure how far Friends of Allen Gardens have moved this on in conjunction with TfL.

(Old job hat off)

Very interesting posts about the new East London Line. I have been trying to find a map of where it goes but have failed to find one. When I was a Stratford Station last Monday I saw signs but didn't know what they were about! Can anyone point me towards a map of all these new lines?

Thanks,

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting posts about the new East London Line. I have been trying to find a map of where it goes but have failed to find one. When I was a Stratford Station last Monday I saw signs but didn't know what they were about! Can anyone point me towards a map of all these new lines?

Thanks,

Mike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_London_Line gives a good flavour for it. No doubt if I'd spent more than 10 seconds on Google, I'd have found something better!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks,

Mike

Not a map as such but a recent copy of 'Railway' magazine (this months or last month) had an aerial shot that covers the whole of the new works at Bishopsgate

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Acton Central at the west end of the NLL I think. At least there, like Camden Road, the traction changeover happens at rest. On the WLL, the Mitre Bridge change often used to happen on the move with the 313s - but I don't think the rolling stock engineers were very happy about it! No doubt the new stock allows for such things?

At one stage - now some ten years back, crikey how time flies :huh: - the sets on the WLL were stopping to do the changeover but I presume (and hope) it was only a temporary glitch.

I do find it all rather odd when you consider that changeovers on 'the mainland' can often be done at speed and of course Eurostar was doing it reasonably successfully in this country for quite a number of years (the only problem being occasional failures of shoes to raise when coming off the 3rd rail and SNCF solved that - sort of - by providing a nice substantial piece of concrete at Frethun to knock off any recalcitrant ones).

• RMweb Gold

At one stage - now some ten years back, crikey how time flies :huh: - the sets on the WLL were stopping to do the changeover but I presume (and hope) it was only a temporary glitch.

I do find it all rather odd when you consider that changeovers on 'the mainland' can often be done at speed and of course Eurostar was doing it reasonably successfully in this country for quite a number of years (the only problem being occasional failures of shoes to raise when coming off the 3rd rail and SNCF solved that - sort of - by providing a nice substantial piece of concrete at Frethun to knock off any recalcitrant ones).

I was having a trip round some of the overground today, and the set stopped near Norh Pole junction, presumably to carry out the changeover. There was certainly some clanking and clunking overhead while stopped. The section still incomplete between Dalston Junction and Highbury and Islington will be interesting, with the Ell trains using third rail on the southern tracks now being worked on, and the existing (northern) lines using overhead.

Dave

Archived