Dockside fittings

Can anyone tell me where I could get some 4mm scale dock/quayside fittings. I'm after some railings, lifebouys etc. I've picked up some bollards from scale model scenery but although found a couple of ship modelling websites they all seem to be larger scales.

many thanks and hope you can help.

Steve

Like michaelp, I have found some products aimed at the model/radio control ship markets to be useful, its just a matter of finding suitably sized items; I had a superbly stocked local shop until the owners retired and closed down a couple of years ago. Things like ship's lifeboats in 1:100 scale make great upturned small rowing boats. I also found these brass fence stanchions great for 4mm scale, scaling out approx 4-5ft high:

post-28743-0-84332100-1539067316.jpgpost-28743-0-49417200-1539067329.jpg

There are also nicely turned brass stanchions, chain, ships fittings, plastic bollards etc which of course come in a variety of "real" sizes so can be useful.

Harburn Hamlets do some nice dockside clutter such as fishing nets etc. The small brightly coloured plastic balls off ball headed drawing pins make good mooring/marker bouys too!

Langley have some items in their catalogue here. There may be other stuff in their range, but to be honest I find their website quite difficult to navigate. Harburn do a very fine range of lobster pots, fishing nets etc. Monty's Models do a few suitable figures. The Wills yard crane is about right for unloading smaller cargoes and if you're going for a more modern setting, the Dapol dockside crane is an old favourite.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry I dont know of another number, I emailed them with a query and got a reply a day or two later so not too bad.

Michael

Hi Michael, I couldn't see many bits that I wanted marked as 1/72 or 1/76 or 4mm scale however I'm guessing that I could just go by the measurements, ie a lifebelt measuring 10mm would equate to just over 2ft in 4mm and a boat measuring 40mm would be a 10ft boat.

I was wondering if I can just use stuff working it out from the size?

Hope that makes sense?

Steve.

Hi Michael, I couldn't see many bits that I wanted marked as 1/72 or 1/76 or 4mm scale however I'm guessing that I could just go by the measurements, ie a lifebelt measuring 10mm would equate to just over 2ft in 4mm and a boat measuring 40mm would be a 10ft boat.

Hope that makes sense?

Steve.

Hi Steve, funny that you should mention life belts, I got a multipack from them and it was 10mm belts I got and they look about right so I would say if you have something you can use as a starting point then working out what sizes you need shouldn't be to difficult.

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Hope that makes sense?

Steve.

I'm going for a boat in 1/96 scale for my 4mm layout as it's 14 ft long and scales to a manageable 45mm model.

I'm going for a boat in 1/96 scale for my 4mm layout as it's 14 ft long and scales to a manageable 45mm model.

If it helps, the boats in these images are sold as a pair of ships Lifeboats (blue painted tin-foil tarpaulin and mast added to one), either 1:96 or 1:100 scale, I forget which, I think they were Billing. But it shows they can be used without looking out of place I think.

post-28743-0-91915400-1541026852.jpgpost-28743-0-72931400-1541027012_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If it helps, the boats in these images are sold as a pair of ships Lifeboats (blue painted tin-foil tarpaulin and mast added to one), either 1:96 or 1:100 scale, I forget which, I think they were Billing. But it shows they can be used without looking out of place I think.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160712_215651.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180328_142439_1.jpg

Thanks guys, Martyn those boats look fine, ones I've been looking at are 40mm so I'll go with them, going to place my order today.

Steve. 

• Like 1