RMweb

Gresley Coach Type

juke

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone tell me what type of coach this is please?

It came in a set of Golden Age coaches which includes a full brake and another vestibule brake third.

This one has a much shorter 'guards' compartment, if that is what it is.

Syd

post-15891-0-32817100-1539191302_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Of course, as soon as I posted I found the answer in LNER Carriages by Michael Harris.

It's a Flying Scotsman V Locker Composite, 66'6". Would like to know now what a V-locker is.

Can anyone tell me where this coach would be in the train?

I only have 8 coaches and unlikely to have more so roughly would do.

Edited by juke

• RMweb Gold

Hi Syd

Its number 4/189 on this list - 

http://isinglass-models.co.uk/items/

66' 6" Gresley Corridor locker composite 1938 Flying Scotsman train Diagram 251 279

Lack of ventilators on the roof is a give away - pressure ventillated

Cheers

Phil

V is the code for vestibuled in Harris. It's what the LNER called corridor stock.

D

Or, what BR called gangwayed stock. The LNER used the term vestibule to mean what BR called a gangway. The LMS used "vestibuled" to mean gangwayed open (as opposed to side corridor) stock. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone for your help, I had assumed based on Hornby models that all of these coaches would be 61'6", a bit of exploring and actually getting around to reading a book I had on the shelf opened my eyes! Missed it first run through though.

Just need to get these coaches to stay on the track reliably now but I'm getting there. I'm now pretty certain they are second hand which wasn't mentioned on the website. Hard to find out much about them but I think maybe their wheels are finer than my track laying.

Working through other problems such as the couplers are higher than standard and mounted permanently, Kadees will be fitted by some means, The springs on the bogie mounts were rough and the bogies quite stiff until worked on. Llights installed badly (by a previous owner?) , wires catching the bogies etc.

When one gets running right though it's beautifully smooth. I have a few track issues that caused no issues with any other trains, these need perfect+ track.

Syd