American Outline O Scale Layouts

Geoff Endacott

I am putting together the American section for Trainwest. There seem to be a lot of standard gauge layouts in N and HO, together with a wide range of narrow gauge layouts in O. Are there any O scale USA standard gauge layouts on the exhibition circuit?

Thanks.

Geoff Endacott

Erm....(scratches head)...

Rock Ridge- Chris White, some photos half way down this page: http://www.iwemrc.org.uk/chatham_show_06.asp

Western Avenue- Arry Dodd, this layout was at the NMRA 2008 convention and the current edition of Roundhouse says it is available for shows, although the builder currently resides in Elgin.

I'm sure i've seen a few more, but can't supply any more info than the details above. I'm thinking of building a small Fruit Warehouse layout in 1:48 but the problem is i'm doing the same in HO and it's 6' long.

Geoff,

It's a few years since I've seen him but Marshall Vine used to be on the exhibition circuit with his switching yards, Kingsbury Terminal, and Vine Street. It sticks in my mind that they were built on doors, so you get an idea about the size of them. One was two doors long and the other only one door. Have not seen Marshall for about five years, but someone may remember the name.

Hope this helps.

Geoff.

It's a few years since I've seen him but Marshall Vine used to be on the exhibition circuit with his switching yards, Kingsbury Terminal, and Vine Street. It sticks in my mind that they were built on doors, so you get an idea about the size of them. One was two doors long and the other only one door. Have not seen Marshall for about five years, but someone may remember the name.

Kingsbury Terminal and Vine Street have both been to Trainwest in the past and I like to feature layouts which haven't been to the show before. I will contact Marshall to see if he has anything new.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the NMRA web site either.

I knew O scale layouts were scarce - it seems they are extremely scarce.

I will have to enquire about travelling expenses from Elgin.

Geoff Endacott

There were two at Warley one year (about 2005?), one of which was in Continental Toddler more recently; it's set in California IIRC and is a big roundy-roundy... can't recall either layout's name though, sorry!!

I model US O scale, but at present have neither a suitable layout, nor the free time to get involved in exhibitions anyway...

There were two at Warley one year (about 2005?), one of which was in Continental Toddler more recently; it's set in California IIRC and is a big roundy-roundy... can't recall either layout's name though, sorry!!

I think Geoff may already know about that one.... ;)

Dear RMWeb Team,

It's on the wrong side of the planet, but this layout from Sydney Australia is just one example of "O scale you can actually live with",

is Road/Exhibition ready, and was built go->whoa in under 6 weeks.

That includes all handlaid track, all aluminium "QubeLok" module framing, all scenery, layout lighting and sound deployment, all structures, and all weathering/tweaking/"fettling" of the rollingstock...

How long is it til the show?

(Time to get building? wink.gif )

Switching_01.jpg

Sight_down_the_pass_01.jpg

CFRR_Full_Dress.jpg

Marty_Switching_01.jpg

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I am putting together the American section for Trainwest. There seem to be a lot of standard gauge layouts in N and HO, together with a wide range of narrow gauge layouts in O. Are there any O scale USA standard gauge layouts on the exhibition circuit?

Thanks.

Geoff Endacott

If you give me the money, Geoff, I'll build one !!:rolleyes:

Guest CPRAIL3000

Lovely little layout, good job. I myself am making a start on an O scale layout. It will be Soo/CP basis, the initial target is a track plan based on the classic John Allen space saving switching layout, 16' x 2'. I have promised a show organiser in N. Ireland that it will be ready for 2011 so I will have to get it done, although I wish Atlas would hurry up with the MP15dc in CP colours.

That looks rather nice, John - do we have a trackplan?

Dear Jack,

Yep, it's your stock Inglenook with a sectorplate in place of the leading turnout...

Mind you, handlaying a #4 O scale SG turnout, laying rail which is cut into scale 39' lengths, simulating stypical jointed-rail "sunken joints", and adding tieplates on the mainline and passing loop,

(not on the industry track, because it was privatly-laid),

and jointbars/fishplates at every jointmeans there's a lot more detail in the track and scenery than first appears...

Oh, if it's not readily apparent, the Long spur of the 'nook is the Industry track, NOT the mainline! wink.gif

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Archived