RMweb

Mk 3 coaching upgrades

Do you already have Mk3's and looking to modify these? if not for loco hauled stock you need mk3a coaches.

Currently only Oxford rail make these but I would advise you to read the forum thread on these before purchasing as they have some dimensional and colour match errors, they are still very good on detail but you need to be aware of this to make a decision. Alternatively Jouef made a very good Mk3a model way way back which is an excellent base for upgrading with a little bit of modelling effort. This was my preferred route for a push pull rake of 80's Scotrail mk3a's and I am pleased with the way they turned out.

If you are not too fussed about being 100% accurate you could use the Hornby and Lima Mk3 which is an HST trailer/coach  but in both cases incorrectly fitted with buffers which suits the Mk3a loco hauled type - there is plenty of information on these in the forum.

Jonathan

Thanks I have Hornby/Lima mk3s hoping that I can get bufers and pipework and get them looking close as possible to realistic! I could do with some reference pictures or is they're any publications available that can give a good reference! Is there any specific locos during intercity grey red and black that mk3s ran with I suspect class87s but could anyone give any idea on this?

47's on the Highland line maybe and 47's on the North Welsh coast too I think, though the memory may not be so good. I can't think of any books. Maybe get a Jouef mk3 and change the roof of the Lima/Hornby mk3 to suit. There are some roe/vac vents from shapeways or the cheap alternative from Southern Pride but these are too narrow.

For the Hornby/Lima Mk3 HST coaches leave the buffers on if you want to represent the Mk3a loco hauled coach. The under frame modules are also different but not that noticeable to worry about. The only other obvious difference is the roof vent arrangement, see picture, upper is the Hornby HST Mk3 and the lower the Jouef Mk3a but there are some exceptions to the rule. Check google image search for prototype pictures there are a lot available online.

post-22686-0-33245700-1540677412_thumb.jpg

Depending on what couplings you will be using you can add ETH sockets and ladders at the coach ends, I made ETH sockets from plasticard which are approximate size but look the part and ladders from plastruct N gauge ladders. Picture below has a missing cable from the socket on the righthand picture coach end but this gives an idea.

post-22686-0-82073100-1540678059_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

For the Hornby/Lima Mk3 HST coaches leave the buffers on if you want to represent the Mk3a loco hauled coach. The under frame modules are also different but not that noticeable to worry about. The only other obvious difference is the roof vent arrangement, see picture, upper is the Hornby HST Mk3 and the lower the Jouef Mk3a but there are some exceptions to the rule. Check google image search for prototype pictures there are a lot available online.

Roof comparison.jpg

Depending on what couplings you will be using you can add ETH sockets and ladders at the coach ends, I made ETH sockets from plasticard which are approximate size but look the part and ladders from plastruct N gauge ladders. Picture below has a missing cable from the socket on the righthand picture coach end but this gives an idea.

Detailing.jpg

Thanks for the advice, seemingly my mk3s have no buffers and I think new bogies are needed do you have any ideas where I can find buffer kits and bogies from! Also is there s place I can get the brake discs on the wheel sets

Stenson models for the brake discs. There are two sizes though depending on your wheel size (Lima or Hornby) They are happy to answer your questions. You could get oval buffer heads from Replica and make the rest from styrene rod/tube or maybe the whole things from MJT models or try googling the buffers.

To add to Andrews post

Discs from Stenson models CC07W - super glued into the Hornby R8096 wheels, assuming your Hornby coaches are current then these discs fit the wheels. Because I used old Jouef coaches the wheels need replacing so I used new Hornby R8096 12mm wheels. Beware that the axle length on the Lima coaches is shorter than the newer Hornbys so you could choose Alan Gibson 12mm wheels with discs pre-fitted fitted on an axle for Lima Mk3 BT10 bogies. Alternatively you can open up the bearing pocket in the Lima bogie with a bearing reamer tool from DCC concepts so you can fit newer Hornby wheels. 

If you do a search online for Mk3a BT10 bogies you will see there is a difference in the wheel slip detection gear fitted to the right hand bogie -  a box and some pipe work, so you could also consider adding this extra detail.

If you need extra bogies these are not available separately from manufacturers so its ebay or also try Peters Spares.

Both Hornby and Lima HST Mk3 come with buffers so I suspect someone cut them off the ones you have. As Andrew recommends I also used MJT buffers from Dart castings, the retracted type.

Jonathan

Great thanks for the advice I've just ordered a set of retracted buffers, two of my coaches are in br blue, I'm sure I've seen BR blue coaches with intercity white branding on where they run with the black grey and red intercity livery? If so is there any pictures about?

• 5 weeks later...

Apologies if I already missed where someone addressed this but can anyone tell me what buffers I could use to upgrade / replace damaged buffers on Mainline / Airfix / Dapol / Hornby Mk2D, or MK2E/Fs.....

I have searched the web and found these Markits ones but I don't know if they would be suitable or if they are for other types like MK1s...they look too skinny and long to me.

.post-28700-0-73443000-1543255619_thumb.jpg

Last coach could possibly be a MK1 BG

IIRC Inspector Sands is correct. No Mk 3 brake coaches so on the LMR a MK1 BG was used. I'm not sure what bogies they ran on though. I might trawl through some of my old pictures.

• RMweb Gold

I know this is slightly OT but I’ve got several Hornby HST Mk III’s and I wanted to put close couplings on but surprised to see they don’t have NEM pockets but the couplings are easily to pull out and replace. I have Hornby’s close couplings but they don’t fit so are any others available?

• RMweb Gold

IIRC Inspector Sands is correct. No Mk 3 brake coaches so on the LMR a MK1 BG was used. I'm not sure what bogies they ran on though. I might trawl through some of my old pictures.

They were usually B4’s with special maintenance so certain ones can run at 110mph.

• RMweb Premium

Blue Grey HST is slightly different to loco hauled blue grey

Wider top blue band

Lower white line level with top of hand rails, 3a slightly lower.

MJT retracted buffers fine for Mark 1 & 2, my Mark 3s have none 3A have Jouef supplied still

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 29/11/2018 at 20:19, jools1959 said:

I know this is slightly OT but I’ve got several Hornby HST Mk III’s and I wanted to put close couplings on but surprised to see they don’t have NEM pockets but the couplings are easily to pull out and replace. I have Hornby’s close couplings but they don’t fit so are any others available?

You could try the new Hunt Couplings Elite buckeye for clips  They give very close coupling an dare rigid so the coaches don't rattle about.  https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/hunt-couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-buckeye-elite-oo-gauge-new-c-28/hunt-couplings-elite-buckeye-pack-for-hst-set-with-clip-couplings-oo-gauge-p-134