Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Plastic waste as a result of modelling...?

• RMweb Gold

Having recently watched the BBC's documentary 'Drowning in Plastic', I wonder if anyone else has considered the plastic waste generated by all modellers in plastic, not just railway modellers?

Not so much the large pieces of debris such as sprues etc. which in my case go in the recycling bin, to be either recycled (hopefully), incinerated (more likely), or buried in landfill (worst case), but the vast number of micro plastic particles created (billions? trillions?) when one files, drills or sands plastic.

Some of this detritus will undoubtedly be hoovered up and go to incinerators or landfill, but much of it will, via hand washing and clothes washing, go into waste water, then potentially into drinking water or into the sea, where some of it will ultimately enter the food chain...

Some may also remain floating in the air in our own homes for a considerable time, to be breathed in.

Is there any way of eliminating or at least reducing further the pollution created in this way?

I'm considering modelling exclusively in cardboard and metal in future!

Any thoughts folks?

• Like 2

I'm not sure brass, heavy metals and flux are that much better in terms of pollutants. The amount of plastic from modelling is a miniscule fraction of a % compared to unnecessary packaging, plastic bags, artificial fibres coming off clothes in the wash, disposable cups or single use straws.

That doesn't mean it isn't bad, but all the models bought in the world each year probably consume significantly less plastic than the free toys in happy meals, and probably see far more use before disposal.

• RMweb Premium

I suggest putting things into perspective.

IF you wash your polyester shirt, trousers and jumper (not to mention socks and underwear) far more micro-fibres end up in the water than any period of modelling in said clothes.

For proof, if you have a tumble dryer, look at the amount of fibre collected in the filter when these items go through - and these were the ones not washed out into the oceans.

• RMweb Premium

The hobby does produce noxious waste as the first two posts have mentioned.  It concerns me but I make a determined effort to recycle as much as I can.  That ranges from offcuts of plastic sleepers to almost all packaging and even nickel-silver rail if it is beyond re-use for its intended purpose.  

Recycling opportunities vary by region / council as not all are able to accept and recycle every re-useable product.  But we can make the effort rather than simply bin all those little bits of scrap.  From sprues to blister packs and any unwanted rolling stock boxes it can almost always be recycled somewhere.

Manufacturers and retailers have their part to play also.  The 5p carrier bag levy has significantly reduced demand for these items which had traditionally been regarded as "single-use" and throw-away necessities.  No longer.  Not being involved with that side of the hobby (or indeed the industry) I am unfamiliar with the extent to which recycling of product takes place though it is apparent that many retailers make good use of cardboard packing from the manufacturers to mail out orders.  A notable exception is Hattons with their speedy machine packing lines using new standard sized cartons.  Those of us who order other items online will also be aware that the likes of Amazon often use wastefully oversized packing.

How much plastic is wasted in the manufacturing process?  I have no idea.  It is a cost to the manufacturer, but eventually passed down to the consumer, when waste is generated and has to be disposed of.  It might be the case that the Chinese factories are less assiduous than they could be with recycling waste or might not have any opportunity to do so at all.  

This is an important area for discussion and action which affects us all in the hobby.

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, no-one throws away models once completed or bought, witness the huge amount of second-hand models at shows; it's the process of building them that's the issue, and I accept that on the grand scale the amounts of waste are small, but they are nevertheless pretty much permanent, and far more mobile than metal particles (and which will eventually break down).

Should it not be incumbent on us to minimise the release of any pollutants we create into the environment?

After all, anyone can say 'what we do is only a tiny part of the problem'.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, no-one throws away models once completed or bought, witness the huge amount of second-hand models at shows; it's the process of building them that's the issue, and I accept that on the grand scale the amounts of waste are small, but they are nevertheless pretty much permanent, and far more mobile than metal particles (and which will eventually break down).

Should it not be incumbent on us to minimise the release of any pollutants we create into the environment?

After all, anyone can say 'what we do is only a tiny part of the problem'.

I'll worry about my miniscule modelling contribution to the plastic pollution problem when single-use commercial packaging has been eliminated.

Since I won't live a fraction of that timescale, I'll keep merrily filing on!

Have we nothing better to occupy our minds with?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll worry about my miniscule modelling contribution to the plastic pollution problem when single-use commercial packaging has been eliminated.

Since I won't live a fraction of that timescale, I'll keep merrily filing on!

Have we nothing better to occupy our minds with?

If the major contributors are largely eliminated the minor ones won't cause enough on their own to be an issue anyway. Aiming for all often just gets in the way of fixing enough to fix the problem.

Although there are small bits that get chucked modellers are probably more prone than most to keeping random bits of plastic just in case they're useful some day.

IF you wash your polyester shirt, trousers and jumper (not to mention socks and underwear) far more micro-fibres end up in the water than any period of modelling in said clothes.

Fortunately, as we know from the many exhibition threads hereon, plenty of conscientious modellers are doing their bit for the environment by avoiding said washing.

• RMweb Premium

For proof, if you have a tumble dryer, look at the amount of fibre collected in the filter when these items go through - and these were the ones not washed out into the oceans.

Funnily enough, when some tree huggers (and btw, I'm a bit of a tree hugger myself) demanded a complete prohibition on discharge of micro-plastics in grey water from ships I asked what crews would be expected to wear and if we were banning most clothes I was met with silence. The same meeting was demanding that discharge of plastics should be regulated, the fact it is already prohibited under the MARPOL Convention was an inconvenient fact nobody was interested, apparently it must be made double illegal (does a double negative not make a positive anyway?).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I very recently received a parcel from Hong Kong containing a small diecast model. The outer packaging was a cardboard box containing the model in its box with newspaper packed around it. However the box containing the model was itself contained within a heat sealed plastic wrap that is not currently recyclable, upon opening the box I found the model wrapped in a plastic bag inside the vacformed clear plastic inner. Neither the outer cover or the plastic bag were neccessary though the plastic bag will be retained.

• RMweb Premium

A notable exception is Hattons with their speedy machine packing lines using new standard sized cartons.  Those of us who order other items online will also be aware that the likes of Amazon often use wastefully oversized packing.

Hi

So Hattons get praised and Amazon slated for doing exactly the same thing. How strange.

Amazon boxes are recyclable and tend to use recycled paper as packing.

No I don't work for Amazon.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

So Hattons get praised and Amazon slated for doing exactly the same thing. How strange.

Amazon boxes are recyclable and tend to use recycled paper as packing.

No I don't work for Amazon.

Cheers

Paul

I certainly wasn’t praising Hattons. Far from it. As a follower of their topic in the retailers forum and as a (former) customer I am keenly aware of the extent to which their current regime wastes valuable resources and still seemingly fails to deliver as expected.

I moved my remaining business elsewhere when the marginal edge Hattons offered on cheap shipping became eroded.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I certainly wasn’t praising Hattons. Far from it. As a follower of their topic in the retailers forum and as a (former) customer I am keenly aware of the extent to which their current regime wastes valuable resources and still seemingly fails to deliver as expected.

I moved my remaining business elsewhere when the marginal edge Hattons offered on cheap shipping became eroded.

Hi

Apologies I misinterpreted your post as you found Hattons better because they were using a standard size carton.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The tiny amount of wastage my modelling produces does not worry me as much as the potential for harm contained in some of the processes.  Soldering, especially when I do it, is a fire risk, and if I set fire to the house there will a huge amount of pollutant discharged into the atmosphere never mind the fire engine's emissions.  We also work with some fairly unpleasant chemicals in the form of paints and adhesives as well; if it recommended that you use it in a well ventilated area it is not a Good Thing.