So.......How much room DO you need for a layout?

What a brilliant idea and, though they say it's only available in OO scale, it could surely be rescaled on the printer for H0. I'm sorely tempted to buy it and see if I could make some subtle adaptations (if indeed any are needed aoart from signage) to create a French scene - probably just a change to the glazing would do it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

David,

scaling is tricky if you want to fit it into a boxfile as there is no "adjustment" for the depth of the scene, there is however some "play" in the design for the width. Things like the conveyor being on an angle make lengthening it tricky etc.

That's why I had to make sure I got hold of a 245mm wide boxfile, some are a good 15 to 20mm wider!

David,

scaling is tricky if you want to fit it into a boxfile as there is no "adjustment" for the depth of the scene, there is however some "play" in the design for the width. Things like the conveyor being on an angle make lengthening it tricky etc.

That's why I had to make sure I got hold of a 245mm wide boxfile, some are a good 15 to 20mm wider!

There's nothing to say you can't scratchbuilt an appropriatly sized boxfile-like box for it to fit in in other scales.

David,

Thanks Redgate, that's worth knowing though I think modifying it for H0 would be all part of the fun. I'd also have to identify the elements that would need to be worked on. There are things that make a building, especially an industrial one, recognisably British, French, American or German etc. and they can be quite subtle (and of course subject to regional variations)  The shape of arches is an obvious characteristic  but there are none of those here. The actual shape of the window surrounds are to a pattern that I tend to associate with French industrial buildings in any case though the setting of glazing bars tends to be different. I've downloaded their free sample warehouse and will see how that looks when rescaled.

I had an interesting discussion with Carl Arendt about boxfiles some years ago. He'd never heard of them and they're simply not used in N. America. I'm not sure about the rest of Europe. As well as size they also vary in quality, some are just compressed paper but the better ones are based on a thin wooden structure.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

I like the idea, though it's far too modern for my liking...

My answer to the small space question was this:

post-33498-0-93765700-1541176563_thumb.j

A tea tray! Always raises good conversation at shows, and can be run off of a 9 volt battery if desired. By it's very nature it is very portable, having a comfortable handle at each end (it's an upturned tea tray) and can even be moved whilst it is running. At one show I briefly walked around with it running, much to several people's amusement. It's also been run on a class 377 during an evening commute! It can literally be exhibited anywhere, and was a fun fortnight of evenings to put together.

• Like 3

I like it that design, but wish people would not assume the boxfile layout has to be IN the box. It was from an idea I found online, putting the flat area on the inside of the lid and using the box as backscene. This not only means you can fit taller buildings IN the box, but you can have a bigger layout with 2 or more  boxes side by side. Most people when they see my French HO layout don't realise it is boxfile based till tell them.

As for scale, I am planning a Gauge 1 (1/32) standard gauge (45mm) ,using 3 boxfiles, possibly more, It will have one working point, and one of my 3D printed wagon turntables.

• Like 2

A pair of videos, taken some time ago, showing 'Kimmeridge' out and about on the Southern network - first on a train leaving Ford, then at Barnham station on the Island Platform 1/2 with a Bognor train leaving, then the Southampton Central train which the layout was on in the other video. The layout has had something of a facelift since then!

Edited by sem34090

Redgate - I'm glad this post helped solve your problem, and very intrigued to see that others are thinking about it - looking forward to seeing your completed version. Now another "little" question - do any readers remember the TTn3 layout, built by John Patmore that appeared a long time ago in RM or CM - I have a feeling that something based on the same idea might be popular among space-starved modellers - but I can't find my copy.It must have been way back - because it had a picture of one of his locos posed beside an old 12-sided three-penny bit, with the portcullis on it.

Edited by shortliner

I had an interesting discussion with Carl Arendt about boxfiles some years ago. He'd never heard of them and they're simply not used in N. America. I'm not sure about the rest of Europe. As well as size they also vary in quality, some are just compressed paper but the better ones are based on a thin wooden structure.

I didn't notice the word 'America' at first and was about to say 'I'm sure I've seen 2mm in a boxfile'   :angel:

Thanks Redgate, that's worth knowing though I think modifying it for H0 would be all part of the fun. I'd also have to identify the elements that would need to be worked on. There are things that make a building, especially an industrial one, recognisably British, French, American or German etc. and they can be quite subtle (and of course subject to regional variations)  The shape of arches is an obvious characteristic  but there are none of those here. The actual shape of the window surrounds are to a pattern that I tend to associate with French industrial buildings in any case though the setting of glazing bars tends to be different. I've downloaded their free sample warehouse and will see how that looks when rescaled.

I experimented with one of the cardboard ones and managed to get an 009 Inglenook in there. It was more sturdy than I thought, even with a hole cut into the end.

I like the idea, though it's far too modern for my liking...

My answer to the small space question was this:

post-33498-0-93765700-1541176563_thumb.j

A tea tray! Always raises good conversation at shows, and can be run off of a 9 volt battery if desired. By it's very nature it is very portable, having a comfortable handle at each end (it's an upturned tea tray) and can even be moved whilst it is running. At one show I briefly walked around with it running, much to several people's amusement. It's also been run on a class 377 during an evening commute! It can literally be exhibited anywhere, and was a fun fortnight of evenings to put together.

Brilliant! I may have to steal this idea.