Bachmann Class 47

steveb860

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Is the two toned green SYP version that has been released suitable for renumbering as an WR named engine, Isambard Kingdom Brunel for example?

Bachmann is producing D1565 in two-tone green. This was a Crewe built loco the same as the WR namers, but they had different train heating boilers - D1565 a Spanner the WR namers a Clayton. That means different boiler ports in the roof. So it depends how accurate you need it to be.

Edited by brushman47544

On 30/10/2021 at 10:41, pheaton said:

The cantrail grills on atleast some of the generators are different they only have 1 strengthening rib rather than 5 and look quite distinct.

Have a look at a photo of 47401, and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for pointing out that subtle difference! 

One of the generators that ran through the area modelled on my layout was 417, which has the 5 rib grilles and the black headcodes, as per 

British Railways 47417

Out of interest, does anyone supply replacement cantrail grilles with just the one strengthening rib? Or do I need to practice my skills at precision filing??

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Bachmann is producing D1565 in two-tone green. This was a Crewe built loco the same as the WR namers, but they had different train heating boilers - D1565 a Spanner the WR namers a Clayton. That means different boiler ports in the roof. So it depends how accurate you need it to be.

Thanks for this. 

Probably not critical to me in all honesty - but is this a difference that has been modelled before in the various RTR versions that have been made? Is there any indication that either Bachmann or Heljan already have it on their to do list? I don't have a fierce preference for any particular manufacturer so was going to hang on and see what the Heljan retool is like. But the new Bachmann version is getting some excellent reviews.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Thanks for this. 

Probably not critical to me in all honesty - but is this a difference that has been modelled before in the various RTR versions that have been made? Is there any indication that either Bachmann or Heljan already have it on their to do list? I don't have a fierce preference for any particular manufacturer so was going to hang on and see what the Heljan retool is like. But the new Bachmann version is getting some excellent reviews.

The main differences pre tops are fixed v Serck rad grilles and boiler ports - 4 possibilities there, Spanner, Clayton, Stone-Vapour and blanked off.

As far as I can remember in original condition (with buffer beam cowls) Bachmann have done

Fixed with Spanner - GSYP, BSYP*

Serck with Spanner - GFYE, BFYE

Serck with Clayton - GSYP* GFYE BFYE*

Combinations marked with * are not main range… Bachmann Club (D1733), Kernow (D1672) and The Model Zone (D1662) limited editions. 

The Stone-Vapour and blanked off boiler ports have never been done on a loco in this condition …. But are not difficult to amend , see Brush type 4 stone vapour boiler

It will need more variety with the new release to tempt me to part with cash…. although it does look very nice it’s a shame we have more spanner fitted locos as the first release, hopefully more variety in future releases.

Edited by Phil Bullock
Last paragraph added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2021 at 22:27, Stueyboy43 said:

Just seen a video on yourube from Hornby magazine on the 47s. They look and sound great. Can't wait to get mine

I was impressed on the whole but couldnt help but notice the windscreens when they catch the light, they look all bumpy/uneven due to the 'tint' they've applied and it detracted from the model, atleast in my eyes. Cant help but wish they'd left out the tint gimmic as things like that rarely scale well on a model anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2021 at 09:32, Gary H said:

I was impressed on the whole but couldnt help but notice the windscreens when they catch the light, they look all bumpy/uneven due to the 'tint' they've applied and it detracted from the model, atleast in my eyes. Cant help but wish they'd left out the tint gimmic as things like that rarely scale well on a model anyway.

I am curious were all Class 47s in the real world fitted with these tinted windows? Or were the tinted windows replaced later on? 

Edited by wairoa

• 3 weeks later...