Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Got and it's already in pieces! I am thinking of keeping it as 404 at the moment and just fettling the livery, as to do 430 would involve almost a total respray. The RCHs are good enough to keep too, especially with the MU jumpers fitted too.

20220127_101631.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Got and it's already in pieces! I am thinking of keeping it as 404 at the moment and just fettling the livery, as to do 430 would involve almost a total respray. The RCHs are good enough to keep too, especially with the MU jumpers fitted too.

20220127_101631.jpg

My view was that it doesn’t need much doing to it, just a little fettling. Same with 609. 

Can’t wait to see yours finished. I’ve got 622 this morning so my set is complete.  

Edited by cairnsroadworks

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

My view was that it doesn’t need much doing to it, just a little fettling. Same with 609. 

Can’t wait to see yours finished. I’ve got 622 this morning so my set is complete.  

Yes, mask off and respray the grey band, add the black window surrounds, add the cab gutters, apply transfers for the red and white stripe. Redo the numbers and BR logos and Bob’s your uncle!

49 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

My 3 turned up the other day just running in now and sounds a daft question but does anyone know how to raise the pan on the 86? 

cheers Craig 

It seemed to unclip for me, not entirely sure what movement I did because it took a bit of messing around. I thought it funny there was instructions about totally dismantling and chipping and class history but no mention of how to raise the pan

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

Has anyone fitted sound to these yet and if so how easy is it and where does the speaker go?

cheers Craig 

I managed to shoehorn a 25x25x7 megabass and 14x26x7 bass enhanced speaker (both 4ohm, series wired) into the 86/0 with no real modification. It was a tight fit and pushes on the rear of the cab, and the wiring needs moving into close proximity to the flywheel lest it be crushed between speaker and chassis block. Nothing a bit of tacky wax can't hold out of harms way though. It gives a tight fit to the body which resonates nicely and gives a very good range. It sounds better with the body on than if left open as in this pic.

396520452_class86innards.PNG.374c68e1b8338fb2a3cdbbcc25e43e6a.PNG

86 404 will be undergoing the same installation when I get around to ordering a V5 for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Ps. I asked when they expecyed the new 87s from Hornby to arrive 87006 and 87009.......Winter 2022!

I wont be impressed if H slap another 10 or 20% on those.....

The RRP for those is already £218 following this years increases, another 10% would take the prices well above those of any competition and for me their quality just doesn't justify that

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, GordonC said:

The RRP for those is already £218 following this years increases, another 10% would take the prices well above those of any competition and for me their quality just doesn't justify that

I’m seriously thinking about canning (geddit?) my preorder for 87009 and getting one of the current batch and backdating it. There are plenty on Ebay, prices starting at just above £150. There are plenty of brand new examples.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I’m seriously thinking about canning (geddit?) my preorder for 87009 and getting one of the current batch and backdating it. There are plenty on Ebay, prices starting at just above £150. There are plenty of brand new examples.

I picked up a Caledonian Sleeper 87002 at around £120 in recent sales for respraying

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

28 minutes ago, 97406 said:

10 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I picked up a Caledonian Sleeper 87002 at around £120 in recent sales for respraying

Worth checking Hereford models… they had a few in the £13x range a few weeks back.

Kernow also has VT class 87’s in the £15x range.

Rails has 87001 at £139.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Worth checking Hereford models… they had a few in the £13x range a few weeks back.

Rails has 87001 at £139.

Thanks for the tip. May just check it out after payday.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Rails has 87001 at £139.

Kernow have 87001 at £114 although the stock is on order

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/61922/R3739-Hornby-Class-87-Bo-Bo-Electric-Locomotive-number-87-001

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My Hornby class 87 (king arthur) is the only Hornby loco i have that has run well straight out of the box. No problems at all. Doesn't miss a beat. I ordered the two others on the back of its performance. While I'm typing this its probably melting in the fiddle yard.

Ive got 3 of the 86s on order with my local shop. Expensive month.

Edited by Norski

Has anyone else found that the windscreens on the 86/4 are not fitted flush at the top of the windscreen. Both sides of my RES 86/4 are so, which didn't feature in my 86/0. The RES version photos on Rails website show the same issue.

Also noticed that Heljan appear to have reverted to the strong box packaging as my model came in an outer hard cardboard box, with foam inside surrounding the clear plastic clamshell. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Has anyone else found that the windscreens on the 86/4 are not fitted flush at the top of the windscreen. Both sides of my RES 86/4 are so, which didn't feature in my 86/0. The RES version photos on Rails website show the same issue.

Also noticed that Heljan appear to have reverted to the strong box packaging as my model came in an outer hard cardboard box, with foam inside surrounding the clear plastic clamshell. 

Mine are flush, apart from the one that I'm working on which has had its glazing removed. It is a tight fit in the window frames. Don't know why they need so much glue. Nevertheless it is a lovely model.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

86404 has just been outshopped with cab gutters, deeper grey band, and some paint on the roof bits. It looks exactly how I remember them, now. I made the tail lamp lenses appear a little smaller by applying a little thinned yellow acrylic paint to the edge and letting capillary action draw it round. The cab front handrail moulding is a flimsy affair that is glued to the front. They didn’t survive being removed. I made replacements out of nickel silver wire. It took 5 attempts before I had 2 decent ones! Technically they should be white, but I’ve used a little modeller’s licence for extra bling!

DSCF0369a.JPG

DSCF0370a.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The Brecknell Willis pantograph is good. It is quite lightly sprung and does follow the catenary well. The only slight problem is that the top section with the pan head droops, so need to think of a solution.  

I’m going to tweak 86426 next. It’s the best of the bunch, a lovely representation of it..

Edited by 97406

Mine arrived today 86404....was deceived by its size depicted on the box versus the actual model! 

Anyway it looks great but one of the buffers is tight.   Might apply some oil see if that frees it off but its in the pushed in position and sticking if you pull it out then back in.

Also I might look at painting inside the corridor area to a more suitable light grey if i dont return it.  Depends if there is an actual recess inside.

Need to test it runs first.

The pan looks superb.

Shame no cab lights?

• Like 1